Tennis Forum banner

Where would you rank Martina up against the players of today ?

• top 10

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • top 30

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • top 50

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • top 80

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • top 100

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • top 200

Votes: 2 5.9%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
SelesFan70 said:
:shrug: Which Martina are you referring to? Oh, wait I just saw, and one Martina refuses to leave anyways. :eek:
Thank god for that.

Re Hingis - I think she'd be somewhere between 7-20

·
Registered
25,217 Posts
The Martina Hingis who's limited in training because of the damage in her feet and ankles? The Martina Hingis who just lost to world #73 Marlene Weingartner at Pattaya City? The REAL Moartina Hingis of 2005, not a fictional Martina Hingis we all wish existed?

About #45.

She can't TRAIN. Not enough hoursd a day to the conditioning or fitness necessary to be a top twenty player. She says so herself. ON top of that, she's been off the tour for two years. And we've seen, looking the difficulty Amelie, Lindsay, Venus and Serena had recovering from long injury layoffs, that the tour moves on.

If Hingis could train eight hours a day,she might be a top tenplayer again. She can't. And that means the baseline power tennis stategy that worked against her in 2001 and 2002 will work even better.

It isn't a question of talent, or will. It's a question of how much stress her feet can take before breaking.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
i think unless you saw the match against weingartner and/or the exhibition match it's impossible to make a judgement on this, and since i havent i dunno where she would be ranked but i would think definately in the top 50.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I saw many of the highlights from that match and Martina deffinately still has the finesse and skill. I think she drifted away in the later parts of the match because she wasnt as fit as she used to be. If she started practising more and got some more match practice and there was a rematch I think she would win !

I miss her heaps thanks for your posts guys Im really interested in what you think !

·
Registered
24,595 Posts
are we assuming she would be a good enough player to play a full schedule and practice as much as all the other women. because she can't do that yet. so basically, we're assuming the onld higis, let's say of early 2002 could magically transplant herself on tour. are we guessing where she would be ranked? top 10 probably.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.