·
Registered
17,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to know opinion?

·
Registered
20,541 Posts
To be completely honest, Kim making it to the no.1 position is well deserved on her part. I think that if Serena and Venus truly want to remain at the top then they would compete as much as they could. Prior to Venus's muscle pull at Warsaw she only played 3 tournaments when she could have played a few more by entering Amelia Island and/or Charleston as well as Scottsdale. Serena could also do the same. She could played Berlin instead of opting out as well as Hamburg or Waraw. She could have played Eastbourne and so could Venus en route to Wimbledon if they truly want to maintain their no.1 and no.2 status under this system. If they aren't doing what they should, then they don't deserve to be no.1 and no.2.

Kim has had an amazing year thus far and I think that such a year and performance merit some type of respect. People are bitching about her position as if she's not performing well enough to deserve where she is. She's made the semis and finals or won all her tournaments. Venus can't even claim that by falling in the 4th round of both Miami and Roland Garros.

To me, Kim is performing so well this season that if she can attain the no. 1 position without winning the US Open then she deserves it because she has worked hard to be where she is now.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Whatever ranking she has is always justified. The same is valid for the other players. They all are subject to the same ranking, after all. But I am still convinced Kim will confirm her ranking by winning the US Open.

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
If she wins the Open, then of course there isn´t any problem no.... but can she win it?!

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
If Kim were to win the Open the #1 rank would then be better justified.

Unfortunately, if VENUS enters mostly healthy and Justine plays well, then that event is not likely to happen for Kim this year.

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
Hey...Sorry to break the news to you but I don't think Kim needs to be doing any justifying! If/When she gets the #1 ranking, she'll the highest ranked women's player. There's no refuting that fact. She'll go on and celebrate and will be able to tick #1 off on her list of goals and achievements. If she then goes on to win the US Open, then she'll be able to tick that off her list as well. Whatever the case turns out to be, Kim deserves all that she gets. It's not like the lottery, folks. She worked damn hard for all of her achievements! :)

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
She doesn't need the USO title to justify the number one ranking. Its the same as not needing apples to make lemonade.

As far as the ranking goes it would be surprising if a player who had beaten 62 opponents this calender year did not end up ahead of one who had only beaten 38 under practically any system designed to reflect performance on the tour - unless you think tennis should be like boxing with a few title defences a year only counting. Indeedy, if Tennis Corner and my simple addition is right, Kim if she wins on Sunday will have beaten as many people this year as Venus and Serena combined. Difficult to argue with the relative scale of that achievement.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
6,691 Posts
fammmmedspin said:
Indeedy, if Tennis Corner and my simple addition is right, Kim if she wins on Sunday will have beaten as many people this year as Venus and Serena combined. Difficult to argue with the relative scale of that achievement.
Purely in the interests of logical argument (which is my favourite kind), and not because I don't agree with you on the fundamental point (ie whether Kim deserves to be #1) I might suggest that that depends on the relative rankings of the players they beat. :)

·
Registered
17,958 Posts
Oh I really don't think it matters. Serena is the best player in the world, and just frankly has a little more talent for the game than Kim. However, that being said, Kim is much more commited to the game, and is willing to play week in, week out, unlike Serena who (one can argue wisely) picks and chooses select, big events to play in. And as the two are not on a totally different level (we aren't talking about Anna Pistolesi at the top here;) ), whichever one plays "by the rules" (ranking rules) deserves the no 1 even if she isn't the best player. Because most talented means nothing if you aren't willing to compete for a good number of tournaments each season.

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
mboyle - I am glad to hear that you think that SERENA is a teeny, tiny, teensy, eensy bit better than Kim.

Just a smidgen. :)

TR :cool: :p

·
Banned
3,170 Posts
fammmmedspin said:
unless you think tennis should be like boxing with a few title defences a year only counting. .
I think you may have a point here. I believe Serena treats this sport more like boxing. She only willing to play on the Grand Stage, however, it would help Kim's cause an give her fans more breath.

·
Registered
43,627 Posts
If the US Open champ is name Kim Clijsters...she is #1. She'll have

1-more titles then anyone else (or at least tied with Henin)

2-beaten Serena, the best player in the world, regardless of the current rankings (or rankings that will be on Monday) in the last year

3-Had the best results in the Slams this year (outside Henin-Hardenne...)

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
Also if Kim wins:

1. She will have been defeated by SERENA three times this year

2. Kim will have only had one win against SERENA in eight attempts.

3. SERENA will have won two slams

4. Kim will have been defeated by VENUS twice this year with no wins over her as well.

5. And, of course, a win by VENUS at the Open will give her the best slam record. :)

·
Registered
43,627 Posts
TeeRexx said:
Also if Kim wins:

1. She will have been defeated by SERENA three times this year

2. Kim will have only had one win against SERENA in eight attempts.

3. SERENA will have won two slams

4. Kim will have been defeated by VENUS twice this year with no wins over her as well.

5. And, of course, a win by VENUS at the Open will give her the best slam record. :)
How will Venus have the best record?

Venus current is:
F-4-F

Kim's is
SF-F-SF

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.