Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She becomes the worlds #1 ranked player about 4 weeks from now. She also becomes the youngest of the active Slam-holders, the first new Slam-winner in over 2 years, and only the fourth teenager to win a Slam since 1990. Oh yeah, and she will rule Belgium. ;)
 

·
NeverWoz
Joined
·
27,565 Posts
Agh, now I'm torn. I like Justine a lot more and I want her to win, but I want Kim to knock Serena off the top too. Choices choices. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,731 Posts
How will she become world number one. She has not won Wimbledon yet, and to be honest I dont think she will (as much as I would like it though!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,170 Posts
I dont know what I think of Kim becoming #1 all because she wins one Slam. Serena currently holds 4 Slams, will still be holding 3 after tomorrow. I know Slams aren't everything, but Serena's record holds up everywhere else, she has only lost what, 3 matches this year. Maybe I understand now how these rankings don't make much sense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dava_russianrule said:
How will she become world number one. She has not won Wimbledon yet, and to be honest I dont think she will (as much as I would like it though!)
She won't need to win Kimbledon. If she wins RG and Serena wins WB, then Kim will likely only need a Semifinal there to take over #1. Maybe less if she is still planning on playing that tuneup and wins it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BigB08822 said:
I dont know what I think of Kim becoming #1 all because she wins one Slam. Serena currently holds 4 Slams, will still be holding 3 after tomorrow. I know Slams aren't everything, but Serena's record holds up everywhere else, she has only lost what, 3 matches this year. Maybe I understand now how these rankings don't make much sense.
They make perfect sense. Serena just chooses to not prioritize them. The system is not responsible for accommodating Serena's schedule.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,112 Posts
kim with Roland Garros, the tour championship and good results at MANY other tournaments seems legit to me as #1. serena is still the better player a lot of the time but not always and had Kim not gotten nervous and maybe had a slice backhand or some moonballs in that third set of Oz she could have won that 3rd set when Serena starting smacking the crap out of the ball. she needed to mix it up and but did not. but it still shows that she is not far from Serena at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,942 Posts
New Number One Not Likely This Year

I don't think Kim will reach number one this year if she wins on Saturday. Serena would have to lose at Wimbledon in an early round and Kim would probably have to appear in the final or win the whole thing. Considering her history on grass and the history of some of the other top players, she would probably have to beat two of them to win and I just don't see that happening since she only has a little more than a week to start getting used to playing on grass.

Don't look for her to do much during the summer North American hardcourt season if Serena, Venus, Jennifer, Chanda and Lindsay play well. Plus if you take out the USO championship points, Serena has less to defend than Kim.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,432 Posts
Kim doesn't need to win Wimbledon - I believe she would only need to go one or two rounds less well than Serena. Someone posted the exact figures somewhere else, I think. However, I agree it's far from a certainty that she will take over the #1.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lizchris said:
I don't think Kim will reach number one this year if she wins on Saturday. Serena would have to lose at Wimbledon in an early round and Kim would probably have to appear in the final or win the whole thing. Considering her history on grass and the history of some of the other top players, she would probably have to beat two of them to win and I just don't see that happening since she only has a little more than a week to start getting used to playing on grass.

Don't look for her to do much during the summer North American hardcourt season if Serena, Venus, Jennifer, Chanda and Lindsay play well. Plus if you take out the USO championship points, Serena has less to defend than Kim.
???

I don't understand. All your points are precisely backwards from the truth. It's Serena who has to do much better than Kim at Wimbledon to stay #1, and its Serena who has the big points to defend from now til September.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,942 Posts
disposablehero said:
???

I don't understand. All your points are precisely backwards from the truth. It's Serena who has to do much better than Kim at Wimbledon to stay #1, and its Serena who has the big points to defend from now til September.
Reread the post. What I was implying, without ACTUALLY coming out and saying it is that don't expect to see the Serena of today out on the court come Monday (the strt of the grass court season) because she is a much better grass and outdoor hardcourt player than Kim is. I was also trying to say is that Kim also has to worry about Venus, Jennifer, Chanda and Lindsay, moreso the first two than the latte two because she currently has losing records against them and I don't know of recent nubmer one player who has losing records agaisnt two people in the top five, much less another player in the top ten.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,863 Posts
If she wins the French, it's highly possible that Kim will overtake the #1 ranking by/after the U.S. Open. She has almost no points to defend, while Serena has major points to defend.

I am a huge Kim fan, too, but Kim doesn't deserve to be #1 if Serena is holding 3 majors at the time. The majors are still the biggest tournaments in tennis, and if one player holds 3 of them, they deserve to be #1.

If, however, Kim wins a major and Serena loses at either Wimbledon or the U.S. Open, then I say Kim is certainly deserving of the #1 spot.

Let's see how it all pans out :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lizchris said:
Reread the post. What I was implying, without ACTUALLY coming out and saying it is that don't expect to see the Serena of today out on the court come Monday (the strt of the grass court season) because she is a much better grass and outdoor hardcourt player than Kim is. I was also trying to say is that Kim also has to worry about Venus, Jennifer, Chanda and Lindsay, moreso the first two than the latte two because she currently has losing records against them and I don't know of recent nubmer one player who has losing records agaisnt two people in the top five, much less another player in the top ten.
The only players Kim has a losing record against are the Williams. Things that happened more than 52 weeks ago are irrelevant to the #1 ranking. Kim has taken firm control of Lindsay, owns Chanda, and has beaten Jennifer in their only recent meeting. When Venus was the best player in the world in 2000, she had a poor head to head for her overall career against Hingis and Davenport. But she was beating them at the moment, which is what matters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
jenglisbe said:
If she wins the French, it's highly possible that Kim will overtake the #1 ranking by/after the U.S. Open. She has almost no points to defend, while Serena has major points to defend.

I am a huge Kim fan, too, but Kim doesn't deserve to be #1 if Serena is holding 3 majors at the time. The majors are still the biggest tournaments in tennis, and if one player holds 3 of them, they deserve to be #1.

If, however, Kim wins a major and Serena loses at either Wimbledon or the U.S. Open, then I say Kim is certainly deserving of the #1 spot.

Let's see how it all pans out :)
My opinion is that Serena doesn't deserve to be #1 if she doesn't work for it. If she had 15 events on the computer, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Changing the ranking system to suit the Williams would hurt the tour, as players who could afford it would start playing less events. The system has already become more "Williams-friendly" twice in recent years, and should be left alone and respected now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,940 Posts
It's June 5th-- I don't want to think about some July prospects. You're scaring me and making me nervouse. LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Apparently the #1 ranking is pretty important to people. It seems to have been the entire topic of this discussion, even though I listed 3 other great things in the opener.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,942 Posts
disposablehero said:
The only players Kim has a losing record against are the Williams. Things that happened more than 52 weeks ago are irrelevant to the #1 ranking. Kim has taken firm control of Lindsay, owns Chanda, and has beaten Jennifer in their only recent meeting. When Venus was the best player in the world in 2000, she had a poor head to head for her overall career against Hingis and Davenport. But she was beating them at the moment, which is what matters.

She has a 1-3 record against Capriati.

When Venus reached the number one spot (February 2002), she had an 8-10 record against Hingis and a 10-10 record against Lindsay, which is what I tought we were talking about.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top