Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

· Registered
47,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the seeding-committee go by the rankings or will they go by the way of the all-England club?! It would be odd seeing a player who´s never reached the finals there ,seeded no.1 over the defending champion and three-time finalist!

· Registered
20,830 Posts
us open doesn't change seedings. I doubt they will suddenly change that because of serena and wimbledon didn't change the seedings either

I doubt serena would care anyway and I doubt the other players would fear her less;)

· Registered
689 Posts
i like tennis- what are you on about? slams and tier 1s are not equivilant- and how many tier 1's did venus play?? 1 is the answer and it's not like she was loosing in them-just her dumb shedule to avoid her sister in tournies that stopped her...

· Registered
47,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Uhum, I think that Venus´s decision of letting only Serena play the tier I´s has hurt her chances of winning more tier I´s...well she has a chance next week of winning her first one in years at Canada.

· Banned
241 Posts
villa said:
i like tennis- what are you on about? slams and tier 1s are not equivilant- and how many tier 1's did venus play?? 1 is the answer and it's not like she was loosing in them-just her dumb shedule to avoid her sister in tournies that stopped her...
after US Open...there are exactly 10 Tier I+ for her to play
2 indoors, Tour Champ, AO, Tokyo, 2 Super Tiers, green clay,
2 red clays.......and how many did she play?..
and no one talked about it.. :rolleyes:...oh well,
it's funny that she has only been #11 for less than 3 months,
if she doesnt care the #1 ranking, then so be it,
for me though, #1 ranking means being the best player
throughout the yr....

· Registered
3,730 Posts
They will seed the week before the US Open begins, and they do not change seedings. So if Kim is #1 by the week before the Open, she will get the #1 seed.

· Registered
8,951 Posts
Of course she will be seeded number one if she reaches number one before the seeds are announced.

It's never mattered where Venus and or Serena were seeded at the Open, but they always seem to play thier way into the second week. Oh yeah and the last player not named Williams to win the US Open was Lindsay in 98.

· Premium Member
1,313 Posts
I don't really understand why they'd bother switching 1 and 2 - I guess it's nice to be the #1 seed but it makes no practical difference - they still can't meet till the final. If Venus is ranked #5 or lower, then the switch I would think they'd be looking at (if any) would be to switch her up to avoid the possibility of a Serena or Kim v Venus quarter.

· Registered
14,307 Posts
Kim being seeded #1 means only one thing. More points to whomever beats her in the grandslam.

I wonder how Kim will react when she realizes that she is the #1 player in the world and the top seed? Maybe she'll step it up and finally win a grandslam or maybe she'll lose her head and not feel comfortable with her position.

· Registered
7,821 Posts
DA FOREHAND said:
Of course she will be seeded number one if she reaches number one before the seeds are announced.

It's never mattered where Venus and or Serena were seeded at the Open, but they always seem to play thier way into the second week. Oh yeah and the last player not named Williams to win the US Open was Lindsay in 98.

Pete Williams?

· Banned
6,621 Posts
Dawn. Kim is already uncomfortable in her current position. I have never seen a top player outside of Jana Novotna choke so many matches...

Anyway there is no way Kim should be seeded #1 at the US Open.
Here are my seeds:
1-Steffi Graf
2-Venus Williams
3-Serena Williams
4-Justine Henin
5-Kim Clijsters

Also the WTA Tour should go back to dividing 14, not best of 17...People have a life other than tennis...

· Registered
24,565 Posts
The US Open is run by the ITF. They maintain they can seed anyway they like. In reality,they usually go exactly by the seeds. Keep an eye on where Monica gets seeded if she plays.

This one's a freebie is they want to seed Serena #1. Kim suffers no actual harm, and since Serena's American and it's the US Open, that sort of thing isn't unexpected. Moving her from #3 to #2 would have been a much bigger deal, since the #2 ranked player would now possibly have to play the #1 and #2 seeds, something she previous would not face.

If the same company that televises the US Open also owns whatever TV outfit does 'Streettime', then Serena will be #1 seed for sure.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.