Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Banned
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the baseline, she can hit it as good as anyone. She also constructs points well, has great movement & concentration.

However her serve is PATHETIC. She just slices it into the court most of the time at the same place, I'm surprised her coach(?) isn't doing anything about it. I was very impressed with her game yesterday, but with this kind of serve, she will never be the slam contender and live up to her full potential.

Reactions: Gowza

· Registered
17,738 Posts
For once your absolity right. She has everything, maybe needs more confidence but that would come with good results. Shes made it to the SFs of both a GS and the WTA Champs as well as the final of the Olympics.

· Registered
2,422 Posts
Dementieva's biggest problem is mental -- that is why she will never win a Grand Slam title. She will always be someone who plays her best against people who are expected to beat her and struggles with players she is expected to beat.

· Registered
47,657 Posts
Jem said:
Dementieva's biggest problem is mental -- that is why she will never win a Grand Slam title. She will always be someone who plays her best against people who are expected to beat her and struggles with players she is expected to beat.
Her serve´s problem, but the main thing´s that she´s mentally fragile!

· Registered
16,898 Posts
Elena's 2 biggest problems are her serve which is mechanical and her lack of mental toughness which is mental. It's a shame she's never had a coach like Pavel Slozil. I also wish Elena, like her fellow Russina's Maria Sharapova and Anastasia Myskina, would train part of the year in Los Angeles with Robert Lansdorp. He would help her with her serve. He is a coach renowed for his players fine mechanics and stroke technique. And he's tough, too. He would be a great part time coach for Elena. Lord knows if she doesn't hire a good coach she will never fulfill her vast potential. And that would be a shame. :(

· Registered
8,954 Posts
i watched one of her matches at wimbledon this year and i was surprised how great at returning she is. i've seen her play before but i never noticed it. her groundies although powerful can land a little short sometimes and she has the serve issue. if she can fix those 2 things she will be a grand slam contender.

· Registered
17,738 Posts
the cat said:
Elena's 2 biggest problems are her serve which is mechanical and her lack of mental toughness which is mental. It's a shame she's never had a coach like Pavel Slozil. I also wish Elena, like her fellow Russina's Maria Sharapova and Anastasia Myskina, would train part of the year in Los Angeles with Robert Lansdorp. He would help her with her serve. He is a coach renowed for his players fine mechanics and stroke technique. And he's tough, too. He would be a great part time coach for Elena. Lord knows if she doesn't hire a good coach she will never fulfill her vast potential. And that would be a shame. :(
The main problem is the mother. As nice as Vera is (love you Vera!) I think she kinda... I dont know... but it like with Melanie. Shes great but theres only so much she can do.

· Registered
1,235 Posts
you people don't realize .... she has just about no mental frailties !! the problem is the serve mechanics and if they were fixed the rest of her game would just fall into place! she is very strong mentally!

· Registered
4,318 Posts
I think what Elena needs is a new coach. But, I can see how it's hard to get rid of your own mom as a coach. If Elena gets a new and better coach, she can be a slam contender.
About her serve, even she knows that her serve is pathetic, she once said that her grandmother can hit a better serve. But since she's been slicing that 2nd serve for so long, it's probably hard for her to fix it now!

· Registered
4,309 Posts
The serve is the major liability, mostly the 2nd serve. The 1st serve is pretty powerful IMO.

Confidence would arise over time, as with a better serve, she'd be able to pull out better wins.

Barring Elena's odd net play (at times), she has terrific groundies and movement and knows how to move the ball around well.

She no longer just hits hard and flat up and down the court. I agree her BH sometimes lands short, but its still a strong wing and it shoots through the court.

Maybe the off season will encourage Elena to pursue other coaching options, as it won't hurt her game too much at that time. :)

Yep, Elena can definitely win a Slam (in terms of ability and talent, she is right up there with Kim, Justine and Dokic), she needs to put it all together!

Here's looking forward to it!!! :)

· Registered
16,898 Posts
dava, Elena's mother Vera is not a credible tennis coach. While Martina's mother Melanie is a great coach who knows so much about tennis. She was a tennis player. That cannot be said of Elena's mother who never even played tennis and has no background in it.

· Registered
6,903 Posts
Lena's mother Vera might not be much of a tennis coach, but at least she loves her daughter, unlike Melanie Molitor who just saw Hingis as a tennis machine and career vehicle...

Lena is a great player no doubt about it, probly the most underrated player ranked between 5 and 25 right now. She sure didn't look too mentally fragile at Amelia this year when she beat Henin and Davey in those tight matches.

· Banned
947 Posts
i think of the russians, dementieva has the best chance of winning a major. she's not intimidated by the top contenders. it's just a matter of getting her game and her mind to work cohesively together to win that first grand slam title. improving her serve would make a huge difference. she's never going to be great at the net but if she can get accustomed to moving in after she hits some of those laser forehands and ending points there, this will make her life a lot easier, and of course, win her more matches.

· Registered
4,309 Posts
Elena beat both seeds in her quarter to make the USO semis.

Conchita (who had reached the FO final that year) and Huber.

Elena also won Silver at the Olympics and got the Semi's of the Chase. Not a fluke IMO.

Sure she underperformed, but her title this year showed us exactly what league Elena is in when she has it all together - Top 5 IMO.

Good luck Elena! :)

· Registered
21 Posts
As you might know Elena is my favorite player and I always knew she had great potential- but when I saw her practice sessions at Amelia Island with her mom, they really weren't too intense... her mother is a very nice woman but she should at least get more help on that 65 mph serve!
By the way, I happened to be there watching when she won over Justine Henin-Hardenne! I'm rooting for her at the Open this year!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.