Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By the age of 19 SERENA had already won a GS title two years prior and when VENUS turned 20 she won back to back GS titles.
Clijsters has been the GH for about a year, but despite two GS final appearances, she has not been able to turn the corner and win the big title and almost got the title as a choker after losing the 2003 AO final to SERENA with several match points on her side.

If Kim falls short at Roland Garros maybe Juju will become the next Great Hope Williams stopper or maybe Capriati will be re-elevated to that dubious position to be the one to beat the Williams at a GS event and win in the process.

Clay is reputed to be Clijster's best surface so her fans should expect her best GS performance at this event.
Right now Kim has the title as the highest ranked top ten player without a GS title and I am sure that she would prefer a GS title even over a #2 ranking.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Answer to QL:
Becoming the #1.
Winning a GS title.
Consistently usurping the Williams. :)

·
Registered
10,386 Posts
dont worry...they'll just appoint someone new...

actually...Juju is the official appointee on clay and grass ;) and Amelie is right behind her...LOL

·
Registered
264 Posts
To win a grandslam, there should be a sign to that and I have not seen
that in Clijsters.
Before Serena and Venus won their first grandslam tittles, the sign
was there by way of beating the people before them on a constant
basis---Davenport and Hingis.
Clijsters is before Venus, but how she got there? It is not that she beat
Venus and Serena consistently to earn that but because she played
more many times than Venus.
Oh, is she a Great Hope of the WTA? well I don't know this one.
In two weeks we will know if she the GREAT HOPE OF THE WTA.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I dont think being a fan of Kim I will lose hope.
She will have her time, as anybody does. Lindsay won her GS and become number one almost late of her career too. Linds is in her quarter, so if she loses, I hope Lindsay takes it.

Also I think Kim fans are not hoping that much for number one ranking as Kim does too. Maybe a GS title were hoping but she still has years ahead of her to play.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
By the way, Did Venus loses consistently to Hingis and Lindsay before she finally overcome it?? I dont know how long but you did'nt lose hope either. So the same goes for Kim.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Response to Brickhouse:

2001 RG Capriati def. Kim
2003 AO SERENA def. Kim

·
Banned
1,324 Posts
1) Kim has disputed only one GS final.
2) Kim won the Masters at 19 after a humiliating defeat over both sisters (oh yes one was 'injured')
3)Age comparisons are useless; do not forget that Serena/venus could start at the age of 15. Kim could not;
4) Clay is not Clijsters best surface; Indoor is; as a matter of fact she is currently the best indoor player in the world.
5) Kim will win the FO, unless Henin takes the crown.

·
Registered
264 Posts
QueenLindsay,
Venus never changed her style of playing since she went professional.
She was part time player. How you exepect someone who ranked 100
66 to compete with people who were 1 and 2 in the world.
But what happened, even despite her limited schedule when she ranked
5,6,7 to the very Hingis and Davenport. Venus beat daveport 9 of
their last 11 meetings--let alone the h2h.
Hingis is retired now. But if you want to
more about that, you can get her website hingis.org and you will know why.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I did'nt know that Venus is rank 66 to 100 during 1997 to 1999 when she cant win over Lindsay and Hingis. So do you mean when Venus finally won over Lindsay at Wimbledon 2000 she got the top ten ranking right away???? Who are you fooling???
Venus and Serena were ranked as high as 3 and 4 during 1998 and 1999

·
Registered
10,836 Posts
Folks if you would read between TeeRex's lines in this thread you would realize it's just a polite rewording of a rather tired topic.

Have to admit I miss the old TeeRex, at least he had balls to say what he REALLY wants to say on this subject............

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I did'nt know that Venus is rank 66 to 100 during 1997 to 1999 when she cant win over Lindsay and Hingis. So do you mean when Venus finally won over Lindsay at Wimbledon 2000 she got the top ten ranking right away???? Who are you fooling???
Venus and Serena were ranked as high as 3 and 4 during 1998 and 1999 and already top 10 during 1997

·
Registered
710 Posts
If Kim will fallen down before semi and the Williams will face in final, I think this time Venus will win because Serena gave her up to the older

·
Premium Member
20,731 Posts
Actually I think TeeRexx is asking, if Kim does not win, who will the announcers and critics proclaim as their new champion?

I mean since Venus and Serena have been winning all anyone has carned about is how can someone stop these women? I'm sure once they have retired their could be a #1 who wins almost every GS and every major title and no one will want to see her defeated so badly.

It's tired and pathetic.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts