Tennis Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could you tell me who was the chair? Marat had all sorts of troubles in that match (code violations)... apparently it's not the first time when this guy is a chair.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q. What happened there, Marat? You lost your head?

A. No, I think it's just I'm - just I'm so disappointed that these kind of things happen to me with the same chair umpire. It happened to me, in Dusseldorf. He took me a point, he took me a game, for nothing. And today, there was - had nothing against him, had nothing against linesmen. We were playing great tennis, and the guy just - he wants to show off, I don't know what is his problem. The guy almost destroyed our game. Playing so good, everything; I almost lost the set.

Q. Unsportsmanlike conduct - you threw the ball at - - - ?

A. I didn't make anything. I just, the ball was - - -

Q. You sent a ball against - - -?

A. No, I sent the ball, I sent the ball. I tried to give to ballboy, so wasn't right. I didn't want - why I have to hit the linesman with the ball? What do you think I am? So stupid to do this in front of everybody? I'm winning match, I'm playing easily, I'm playing great. Why I have to do this against - yeah, everybody can make mistake. But the chair umpire, he has to use his brain sometimes. And first of all, I think, when he is talking to somebody, he has to take off the glasses, as a matter of respect. I hate when somebody is talking to me with the glasses, and I think it's not right. And I'm talking to him nicely, and he's talking to me like, you know, "I'm the king of the court and I can do whatever I want". No, it's not right. I have my opinion. I called the guy who is standing there all the time, and he has to go with the call of the chair umpire. And what is he doing there? He is standing there. He has to, he has to look what is going on in the court. "No, I didn't see the ball". What, he didn't see the ball?

Q. Even if you don't hit person in the public, or the linesman, on purpose, you can get a code violation for that?

A. For what?

Q. Because players have been defaulted for hitting the public. They want to hit the back of the court. They miss, they hit someone in the public. It's not on purpose, but - - -

A. Did I make it? I just tried to give the ball to the ballboy. Is it normal, or not? Or we have to, you know, give to the ball, take the balls and give to the ballboy in the hands?

Q. Yes, it was pretty close.

A. No. Of course, guys, come on. Of course, it easier to find a solution. You know, "Safin is going nuts on the court". Of course, it would be great. You know, the newspaper will look unbelievable. But it's not right. I have nothing against anybody. But this guy is, he is crazy.

Q. As you said last time, shit happens?

A. Yeah; but it happens, one, twice, three times with the same chair umpire? Something is wrong.

Q. Marat, when you were saying to take off the glasses, were you referring to the referee or to the chair umpire?

A. To the chair umpire. I mean, the referee, he has the lenses, I think. No, I think it's - I don't - I cannot talk to the person with the sun glasses. It's a matter of respect, I think, and he should respect me like I'm respecting him. And he cannot talk - it's not nice, I think, to talk to me with sun glasses. I think that's my point.

Q. Next time you have to bring some sun glasses when you want to talk to him?

A. Yes, I will. I mean, definitely, because I'm amazed a little bit.

Q. You risked being defaulted there because you said "You're f- up in the air, in the air"?

A. What?

Q. You said some pretty tough things to them?

A. Yeah, but they - - -

Q. But - - -

A. But they don't want even to listen to me. How you want me to speak to them? He is talking to me with sun glasses. He is talking to me, you know, he is just, he's doing whatever he wants on the court. So why should I respect him if he doesn't respect me?

Q. Did you get a warning?

A. Yea, of course.

Q. Does the matter end there matter, or do you expect to be fined for that?

A. No, if - I mean, definitely, I think that people from ATP, they have to look at the tape. And I'm just amazed that these kind of things can happen on the court. I mean, think a little bit logically. I'm winning 6-4, 6-4, and 3-2, I think - - -

A. Yeah, 3-2.

A. And that's it. Why I should hit the linesman with the ball? I mean, it's just out of his mind. The guy was out. What can I say? That's just, that's my opinion, and I don't care. He can fight with me, he can go wherever he wants. But that's my opinion and it's, and I think I'm right and I'm going to defend myself. I'm right. I'm hundred per cent right. And everybody saw it and everybody was, was amazed on the court. Nobody expect these kind of things from the chair umpire. But I think he likes to, you know, he likes to be involved in the match. It's okay. He can play tennis also, after the tournament.

·
Premium Member
181,855 Posts
tenn_ace , umpire was Norm Chryst , he's had a go at Marat before as well.

I didn't see when the incident occured so didn't know until afterwards.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Safin wins -- but not without a fight
By JOHN BROCK
Associated Press Writer
January 19, 2002

MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) -- Marat Safin was in control at the Australian Open on Saturday -- in control of his match and of his infamous temper.

And then, when he was two sets and a break up against fellow Russian Mikhail Youzhny, something happened.

Safin tapped a ball behind him, and it hit a line judge. The 2000 U.S. Open champion was given an immediate warning for a code violation from chair umpire Norm Chryst.

That led to a loud debate between player and official.

Safin demanded an explanation and asked for the Grand Slam supervisor to intervene before returning to the baseline and apologizing to the line judge.

Safin eventually finished off his 6-4, 6-4, 6-4 victory over Youzhny to set up a fourth-round match against Pete Sampras, and then he continued to complain bitterly afterward.

Safin accused Chryst of interfering in the match and of showing him no respect by not removing his sunglasses during their argument.

He said the chair umpire should enforce the rules in a reasonable manner and not take a hard line when there are obvious mistakes.

``Nobody expects these kind of things from the chair umpire,'' Safin said. ``But I think, you know, he likes to be involved in the match. It's okay. He can play tennis also, after the tournament.''

Safin, who's developed a reputation for smashing rackets and yelling at himself during matches, faces disciplinary action for a series of code violations. The tournament referee declined to comment.

Asked about his heated discussion with Chryst, Safin said he was ``talking to him nicely, and he's talking to me like, you know, `I'm the king of the court and I can do whatever I want'.''

Safin said he's had trouble with Chryst in the past.

``We were playing great tennis and the guy just, he wants to show off,'' Safin said. ``I don't know what is his problem. The guy almost destroyed our game.''

At last year's Australian Open, Safin smashed a racket after his fourth-round loss to Dominik Hrbaty. In 2000, Safin was fined $2,000 here for not making an effort during a loss to South African qualifier Grant Stafford.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts