Tennis Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oftentimes lately people say things like "If Gauff looked like Anisimova" or if "If Osaka were white European"......well let's say Mauresmo, or Jankovic, or Henin were in Venus's shoes, would people let them off the hook as well??

A HALL OF FAME player no doubt but....
  • Currently ranked outside the Top 70
  • 2020 record is 1-7...!
  • Has won just 2..TWO matches out of 12 in the last year
  • Hasn't won a title at any level since 2016
  • Hasn't won anything above a Premier since....2015
  • Hasn't been in the Top 20 since 2018
  • Has EIGHT FIRST ROUND GS losses in the last 7 seasons (for reference, she played EVERY slam in that time frame )
  • Has gotten past the QF stage just FOUR times in.....10 years!
  • Has made it past the R4 of a GS just 6 times in that same decade long period.
There's a saying that a sign of a true champion is knowing when it's time, and while it's also true that these players can play until WHENEVER they want....i just can't help but feel that the tone would be different if Venus weren't Venus. Sharapova was getting "R" messages while she was 29th in the world with a GS QF and a title on her rank. Seles was getting "past her prime" and "washed up" talks by 1997. Azarenka has been having these discussions every other conversation since she's been back, despite being ranked above Venus the entire time. Hingis was "over" in 2008 even WHILE SHE WAS TOP 10. Can't imagine things would be different if Henin, Mauresmo or others were in Venus' boat.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Her 2017 kind of gives her a free pass for many of her poor results of the last few years IMO. I know she didn’t win a slam but IIRC she had the best results average across the four - 2 x finals, 1 x SF, and whatever RG was. It’s not 2005/6 no one does that any more - it was such a stellar year.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Before she made the slam finals in 2017 the questions were nonstop, but frankly, she's out-lasted the retirement suggestions and so nobody really bothers to bring them up. Since she's managed to keep playing without results, she's proved herself immune to the conversation.

Plus, she rarely does press, and when she does it's not especially revealing - one word answers, disinterested attitude, etc. She's just not bothered by it. Waiting for Serena's retirement and she'll join.

Her 2017 kind of gives her a free pass for many of her poor results of the last few years IMO. I know she didn’t win a slam but IIRC she had the best results average across the four - 2 x finals, 1 x SF, and whatever RG was. It’s not 2005/6 no one does that any more - it was such a stellar year.
She was the prize money leader that year!

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
People are just tired of talking about her retirement. It is like saying, chocolate tastes sweet. Too Obvious to even mention now.

·
Registered
378 Posts
It's fairly obvious in my opinion why the retirement conversation has died a bit on Venus. Between declining results and increasing age, she's hit the criteria for a sensible retirement for almost a decade at this point. After a while you just stop talking about something like that because we'd all have had to be repeating the same things non-stop for years and years if we didn't. It's clear that Venus will retire when she wants to, and she won't be pushed into it by age or by R1 exits. There's no point in us talking about it in 2020 because any argument that she should retire has been valid for years and she's still here.

Also, I'm confident that people would be treating someone like Henin in the exact same way if she was still around, except probably with less interest because she was never as popular as Venus. If Henin had spent the last 5 years bombing out in ITFs she had to take wildcards into, people would have stopped calling for her to retire 4 years ago. Again, if someone sucks for long enough and is still sticking around, it just makes no sense to say "She sucks, she should retire". Venus knows she sucks and she still wants to compete. Let her do it. Let's talk about something more interesting.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
She's won 23 grand slam titles and 4 Olympic gold medals. Why wouldn't people want the chance to watch her play into her 40s. She can still compete, even if the wins are few and far between.

·
Registered
114,026 Posts
Sometimes a legend is good to have in the draws. Part of the Kournikova appeal is that she could make the tv news just by arriving at an Intl. And they would sell out before the first day.
Its part of sports, like UFC wanting Brock Lesner to fight when he hasnt won in 10 years but he is still a big name from fake wrestling
Venus is a legit all time great and I dont see any problem with her still playing

·
Registered
344 Posts
Flop thread. Queen Venus is a level above other players you mentioned.
Except for maybe Henin though! Who know how many slams she would of one, if she played for even 5 more years. She could have gotten at least 10 imo. So talented, the BH and the movement, great volleying skills. Was one of the only players to challenge Serena and Venus, along with Davenport and peak Cljisters.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Not really getting the OP's point, but if Venus wants to continue to play then why not let her? Its not like she's making a fuss and hindering other players or demanding respect from other players or tournament, but simply shows up and plays.

I mean, a few years back a 44 years old Kimiko Date-Krumm still played tour level in 2015 and manages to win a few MD matches, and Venus and her legacy has certainly earned her rights to play until however old she becomes. Granted, I wonder if that legacy is actually hindering her in that it isn't letting her enter local International and Premier level tournaments for fun in the way Kimiko was entering (and winning a round in) the likes of Tokyo, Taipei, and Seoul.

Personally I want her to enter an international level tournament somewhere and try to get that title #50 to cap off her career which would be an amazing feat. Hey, Serena won a title at international tourney last year too, so why not Venus?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts