Tennis Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is something I've been thinking about discussing for quite a while, and hopefully others here will share their opinions. Think about the game, and how some players execute shots that are both technically and in form nearly identical with another player, irrespective of era. I'll begin with Steffi Graf's and Ivan Lendl's backhand drop shot. They both used this surprise tactic very well, as their opponents were expecting pace and depth (even from their backhand slice drives), and both players' take-backs are nearly identical, and the stroke itself is hit as though a slice were coming, and the simply shortened up the beginning of the follow-through, dropping a ball just over the net with a low trajectory (which takes incredible timing). It's an amazing shot from two power baseliners. Anyone else?

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Mats Wilander's two-handed backhand down the line was quite similar to Chris Evert's.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I always thought Mecirs forehand and Mary Joe Fernandez's frehand were really similare....

Also gabrielas and Ines Gorrechetgi (spelling?!?) had really similar backhands

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I always thought Hana's return of serve stance looked a lot like Jimmy Connors'. And Lori McNeil's forehand looked similar in swing to Hana's. And Bud Collins once compared Hana's long service motion to Adriano Panatta's. But I've never seen him play.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The K-Dog said:
I always thought Mecirs forehand and Mary Joe Fernandez's frehand were really similare....

Miloslav Mecir- now there's a name you don't hear much of any more. What a fantastic tennis player he was, and such a shame he had back problems that eventually forced him out of the game. He had such great hands- some of the best ever. I always wondered what his backhand would've been like had he channeled using a standard size frame. Most people have only ever seen him lose abismally to Ivan Lendl at the Australian Open, but he was such a fantastic tennis player.

I always felt Ines Gorrechetuegi had a better slice backhand than Gaby, but not nearly as good at coming over the ball or driving it flat, but that's just my opinion. She had very large shoes to fill with Gabriela, and I guess her feet were just a little smaller.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
The K-Dog said:

It's Inés Gorrochategui

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I always thought that Irina Spirlea played like the Generic-brand version of Steffi Graf - similar mechanics, slice backhand, big forehand - but like store brand breakfast cereal - less taste and not quite the same effect as the real thing.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
preacherfan said:
I always thought that Irina Spirlea played like the Generic-brand version of Steffi Graf - similar mechanics, slice backhand, big forehand - but like store brand breakfast cereal - less taste and not quite the same effect as the real thing.
Great description, PF. Irina herself admitted that Graf was her idol, and that she tried to mold her game after Steffi's. Interestingly, when Spirlea defeated Seles at the U.S. Open a few years back, Monica mentioned in the press conference just after the match that it was obvious who she (Irina) wants to be like. While I Liked Spirlea, I thought she was a much more taut and much less fluid player all the way around, with a tendency to hit the ball with her arm (especially on the slice backhand) instead of with her racquet. She is one of the better examples of a player who did well with copying a great champion's game, though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts