Tennis Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
25,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to say I've been really pleased with all the activity here on the Blast.

With that in mind I wanted to create this thread to do a couple of things.

A) My hope is to create a kind of "user's guide" to the Blast, so first time users and vets can easily find links to players, events, and thread's. I'm going to post links in a separate thread, but want your imput on what works (or doesn't work) as far as organizing all the knowledge we have here in the BFTP. The timeline for finishing that is the first week of July.

B) Any other ideas you have.

Are there things in the Blast you'd like to see?

Would you like all slam,tournament,results threads in one subforum?

Any volunteers to take on projects (like starting a book club thread?)

Any ideas are welcome and on the table for discussion.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I want a picture page of all the players from the 1950's.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I just wanted to say I've been really pleased with all the activity here on the Blast.
Really? This forum can be rather unwelcoming, imo; many of the queens, er members here, are somewhat elitist, and snobby about what's, and how things are discussed here. I thought that the 6 regulars here liked it like that.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Really? This forum can be rather unwelcoming, imo; many of the queens, er members here, are somewhat elitist, and snobby about what's, and how things are discussed here. I thought that the 6 regulars here liked it like that.
I'm sorry that canoe has had this type of experience. Luckily, my experience (and I'm a newbie) has been much better. In fact, I felt welcome here even though I first jumped in on a controversial topic (Evert Divorce thread) with controversial comments!!! :devil: Plus, those of you who read my comments, have probably realized that I'm not usually afraid of sharing my POV! :lol:

There are a lot of researchers on blast, and while I can't often contribute to some threads, I do enjoy reading (and have admiration for people who take the time to research sometimes obscure records). :worship:

I've changed my mind about pre open tennis being lesser than open pro through discussion with longtime regular posters on blast (and through the books that I've been encouraged to find and read -- although I still need to find Madge's bio). I think I still have my point, but people were willing to share an opposing point of view without flaming me, which allowed me to take and process their opinions fairly. That's more positive than what often happens in Gen Pop! :help:

I like the idea of the book thread and if you wouldn't mind a newbie, I'd help (as long as a long timer who knows older books helped! :wavey:).

I have to spend some time looking at the records threads to see how easy they are to manuever (I've only done a bit of looking through them so far). But to make that as easy as possible would be awesome.

I like the picture threads a lot!!!! Its been fun trying to keep up with Hammer.

One problem I have with the site is keeping track of a thread once it gets older than a few days or so, although I've started to try to remember and bookmark them to make it easier to return to an old thread for which I have a new comment. I don't know how to make that better.

·
Registered
14,233 Posts
Im new to the site in general and I like it here! I've found stats that I've always wanted that I could never find anywhere else. And it's greating having people who were following tennis during the 70's and 80's

I think it would be a good idea to have sort of directory or something to make the info easier to access. As at the moment there is so much it's difficult to find sometimes!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Would something like the 60s Pixies thread for the 50s work Trivfun-or just a pure picture thread?
Sure I like the 60's Pixies thread but those are star players. How about pictures of players like Nancy Chafee, Shirley Bloomer, Jeanne Arth and Donna Fales. The ones who were top 10 and not always grand slam winners.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I'm sorry you've had a bad experience here. I've been here since the beginning of this forum, and though I don't post much anymore, I still read a lot. I honestly can't think of a poster that would deliberately not make a new poster welcome, or engage with them. In fact, we even have a thread where new and old posters introduce themselves, and tell every else a little about themselves.

I can only speak from my own experience, but I think my views would be shared by most here. I welcome new posters for the fresh perspectives, and the new personalities they bring to the forum. There is only so much you can say about tennis before you run out of things to say. New posters reinject life into topics, bring fresh perspectives, and tell us things we might not have known. I've learnt so much through this forum from posters old and new. I often get my facts wrong (getting old, and not a statistican by nature), but have never encountered anyone rude or aggressive in setting me straight.

So I hope your bad experience won't deter you from posting here if you feel you want to contribute.

A big shout out to Rollo and Brian for doing a great job, and for still wanting to improve the forum. If you are referring to Rollo's rules in the Graf/Seles stabbing debate, then I think he is absolutely right in cracking down on mindless bickering about something that has been discussed to death, and really spoils the enjoyment of the majority of other posters- even then, he has created a thread so you can argue to your heart's content without disturbing anyone else.

Rollo, I agree with OrdinaryFool, in that it is hard to keep track of threads that are more than a few days/weeks old. Hence some duplicated threads with only a few posts in them. I'm not sure what can be done about it, as indexing the threads would be a tedious and difficult job, as would keeping it up to date.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
I can see exactly where you are coming from, and I too have on occasion drawn flack for being a little too outspoken and expressive, and I'm probably one of the 6 regulars you speak of. Don't let it ruffle you- you obviously have something (and probably a great deal) to contribute. In the words of Billie Jean King, "GO FOR IT!" The overwhelming majority of people here have never met each other in person, so even though it sometimes may seem guided or stuffy or clique-ish, just let those feelings go and do your own thing and people will respond to you. I will.

·
25,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Posted by Ordinary FoolisNJ I like the idea of the book thread and if you wouldn't mind a newbie, I'd help (as long as a long timer who knows older books helped! :wavey:).
Would you be willing to lead or co-lead a book club thread? That would be so cool IMO-and you could pick the books we'd discuss!

I have to spend some time looking at the records threads to see how easy they are to manuever (I've only done a bit of looking through them so far). But to make that as easy as possible would be awesome.
Hopefully we can do that. Let me know if you have any ideas

One problem I have with the site is keeping track of a thread once it gets older than a few days or so, although I've started to try to remember and bookmark them to make it easier to return to an old thread for which I have a new comment. I don't know how to make that better.
I agree 100%, which is why I'm starting the "User's Guide" thread, which I'm hoping will link all the old threads that are useful. That way someone can search for old links right from the front page. If you have some favorite threads that are bookmarked please send them to me in a PM and I'll add them to the Guide.:)

·
25,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think it would be a good idea to have sort of directory or something to make the info easier to access. As at the moment there is so much it's difficult to find sometimes!
Glad you like it here Serena #1 Fan. I've started the directory here
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=295765

It's small, but I'll add to it weekly.

Right now I'm calling it "A User's Guide"-would directory (or some other catchy title) by better? As always, ideas are welcome.

·
25,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Posted by Alfajeffster I can see exactly where you are coming from, and I too have on occasion drawn flack for being a little too outspoken and expressive, and I'm probably one of the 6 regulars you speak of. Don't let it ruffle you- you obviously have something (and probably a great deal) to contribute. In the words of Billie Jean King, "GO FOR IT!"
Maybe the flak is coming from Canoe's World War one plane Jeff! Seriously though Canoe, I second Jeff's post. Just dive right in and give us a try. Love your avatar

·
25,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Posted by BCP Rollo, I agree with OrdinaryFool, in that it is hard to keep track of threads that are more than a few days/weeks old. Hence some duplicated threads with only a few posts in them. I'm not sure what can be done about it, as indexing the threads would be a tedious and difficult job, as would keeping it up to date.
Thanks BCP. I'm taking on the task-tedious or not, because I think it's worth it. What fellow Blasters can do to help is to send me some of their favorite thread links in a PM or post them in the links thread.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Maybe the flak is coming from Canoe's World War one plane Jeff! Seriously though Canoe, I second Jeff's post. Just dive right in and give us a try. Love your avatar
What? You don't recognize the first still of Graf vs. Seles in mid-flight?:lol:

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I liked what you have to say. You really make me work for my opinions on the other general messages stuff.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts