Tennis Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
6,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe somebody could give me a little advice? Maybe theres a magazine you could recommend - i dont have many. A link to some articles would be very useful. I used to play on my highschool tennis team and was an ok player. Got a lot better in college and many people told me i had the 'talent' to possibly play on a developing college team. so anyway, until recently (10 year stop), I havent played barely any tennis. I had a lesson with a pro yesterday and he was very impressed. Id like to play in a local amateur tournmanet. I have no tennis partner and lack competition experience. I dont want to go out there and embarrass myself. I also still have another say 8 pounds to lose but not more. however, I do run 20+minutes a day, jump rope and work out. so im not quite in top fighting shape but my conditioning is still pretty good. Whatta I got to do? I dont want to overexert myself you know... im also 10 yrs older and I'll want to chase down balls like i used to but probably have lost a few stoeps. I want to be a good player again and i work out 5 days a week at least, really for the sole purpose of being able to play tennis at a nice level. And id like to compete too. Any of you who play tennis, your constructive criticism is appreciative. BTW, Im 1metre80 and am 33 years old and male. I posted here and not on mens cause id knew id have a better chance at finding an educated response. The coach who gave me the lesson, it was more of a quick evaluation to see if my raquet and stringing was ok, did not seem eager to answer my questions to i just left him alone.....

Also any training tips, what exercises to do in the gym would be greatly appreciated. I saw Jonas jumping rope at RG so now i jump rope too. is that a good exercise to warm up before hitting the tread mill?

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Man, if I had only one sentence to say it would be "Just do it !"
Having your tennis history and 5 days a week work-out, you should have no major problem technique-wise. You'll just need to find some competitive mental. If you have means, you might attend an adult-camp in a good tennis-academy, there are plenty of them during the summer holidays. You could even spend a week or two at Bolletieri's, lol.

·
Banned
6,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any articles or links you could suggest? Thing is, i think i can play a solid 2-set match. i have no idea if i can play three sets without feeling pretty damn tired. And there are tournaments in Paris in August and September, but not during the winter it seems. i want to give it a go this year, but i know i'll be in much better condition next summer...

·
Banned
6,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think im gonna make a poll since noones answering....

here are the choices:

1. I know nothing about playing tennis so i cant help
2. I Know a lot about tennis but dont have any advice
3. I know a lot about tennis and have advice, but dont have the time to help.
4. get lost

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Check out Tennis Magazine. It has a lot of great instructional stuff in it. The main thing, however, is just going out there and start playing.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
And I would add "Ne réfléchis pas trop". Just do it, sign in for one or two tournaments right now, go on the court and play matches, otherwise you'll never know where you are technically, mentally and physically.

If you lose, you'll know where are your weaknesses and you'll be able to identify what to work out more intensively.

·
Worshipping POP ICON GODDESSES
7,719 Posts
Paul darl,

We are of a similar age.

I represented nationally as a teenager and played tournament tennis up to age 23/24..when I stopped to pursue university full time, travel, play house etc.
I played very little after that....except for a few "hits" each month.
At 30 I decided I wanted to compete again. I had fallen into many bad habits...especially with the serve...which was always a weakness for me. Went to a good coach, in my case Chris O'Neil (Aus Open winner 78), and worked on my game for about 6 months and found a few hitting partners (some old ones from the past and a few new ones) prior to playing competitive tennis again. The fundamentals were still there. I have a good ground game...so it was all about finding your range again and trusting your strokes. Once I had the "feel" back I entered a few local competitions here in Sydney....and once you start playing points, sets and matches it all comes back quite naturally.

I do not play as much as I would like....I would be out there every day if it was possible....but i am happy with my game now and feel I have a solid base to work from again.

I still see Chris O twice a week....I have a better serve now than at any time as younger player. Infact..I think I am a far more versatile player now...because I have worked on areas of my game that I found hard to change as a younger player, because they meant hard work!!! ( notably the serve and net game in my case).

In terms of fitness....I feel just a good as I did at 20.
I run three or four times per week (treadmill or outside depending on the weather)...and do some light weights when I feel like it (twice or three times per week on average)...I do not lift anything heavy.
I am only 4-5 kgs heavier than I was in mid 20s.
My greatest asset on court is my foot speed so I try and maintain a steady weight and keep flexible.

I also started yoga...and I am just starting to feel the benefits after a solid 6 months..especially with regard to flexibilty and recovery. Yoga also strengthens your torso/mid area...and I find this of great benefit with the serve.

The recovery is important....that is where I do notice a difference from say 20 -30. After 4 sets or so...I am sore and stiff the next day. At 20 I was ready to go again the day after!

When I reach 35 I am going to start playing the Australian Veterans Circuit.... that is my current goal...to be in the best shape possible for that...

Just get out there and hit some balls Paul...and with a variety of partners. Also, enjoy the challenge of improving parts of your game that you feel are lacking and becoming a smarter player...thats were the enjoyment lies for me now...constantly challenging myself.

·
Banned
6,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow, great responses. bionic, you are not the bragging type, who would know you are an amazing tennis player?, your experience is amazing...i am very fascinated. that is amazing.

I contacted the FFT, and they gave me some amateur tournies...so i think ill give it a try, at least just to see....otherwise i have to wait til next year cause it all happens in the warm months. This way, at least I'll have an idea where id like my level to be next year. just gotta find a good training partner. my bro is here but he kinda sucks at tennis, he plays baseball. As for Tennis magazine, yeah itd be great but i chopped up all my tennis magazines for RG to give to kids....hard to explain but it was real fun and the kids Loved it. I will pay more attention to the next issues i get when my Mom brings them to me from the States.

If you got any cool links, please post them. Its free to read off the internet, and i am slightly constrained by budgetary cutbacks from above.

·
Worshipping POP ICON GODDESSES
7,719 Posts
FrogBurger said:
wow, great responses. bionic, you are not the bragging type, who would know you are an amazing tennis player?, your experience is amazing...i am very fascinated. that is amazing.

I contacted the FFT, and they gave me some amateur tournies...so i think ill give it a try, at least just to see....otherwise i have to wait til next year cause it all happens in the warm months. This way, at least I'll have an idea where id like my level to be next year. just gotta find a good training partner. my bro is here but he kinda sucks at tennis, he plays baseball. As for Tennis magazine, yeah itd be great but i chopped up all my tennis magazines for RG to give to kids....hard to explain but it was real fun and the kids Loved it. I will pay more attention to the next issues i get when my Mom brings them to me from the States.

If you got any cool links, please post them. Its free to read off the internet, and i am slightly constrained by budgetary cutbacks from above.
Thanks...
"Amazing"???...No...I was consistent at my very best....nowhere near amazing.
Adequate maybe.
...and you are right.... not the bragging type at all...prefer to remain under-stated. I do have a few surprises up my sleeve though!

Money can be an issue a you mentioned....I do not have kids (yet) to worry about...although the mortgage eats up a lot of funds!!! Tennis is my vice...I do not smoke or gamble and my drinking is restricted to a good red on the weekends...so my partner is fine with the spending!! Actually I do have another spending vice..I collect vinyl records etc....I get into trouble from the "husband" for that one. He just doesn't understand the importance of say...that "rare Samantha Fox Limited Edition Coloured Japanese Vinyl from 1987"....off on a tangent sorry!

Back to the subject at hand...

Racquet wise...do invest in a racquet (or two) that you are comfortable with.... it will take a few tries. I used a very stiff and heavy racquet up until recently.
When I started to play around with my serve and ball toss..I changed to a slightly lighter frame with a bit more flex...it was just easier on the arm during the adjustment phase. Unfortunately..the lighter racquet meant that it was tough to get pace on balls that I struck a little late or was pushed wide on....so I had toput some lead weightson the head to compensate.

Anyway...as I said above.....just enjoy the challenge of improving and set some goals. Also, there is nothing like a good thrashing to get you motivated. So if you get beaten at first...or feel it is not working out....just keep trying...eventually it all falls into place.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Wow, I just envy you both, bionic71 & FrogBurger! :cool:

I'm also in my 30s, sadly. I thought I was just finished for challenging competition level. :sad: I started playing tennis late than other sports. Whenever I don't have some improvement from my tennis, I used to think that that's the limit of my kind of old age and starting late. I love tennis more than any other sports, but no big improvement in years. :sad:
I was told that I was very good at basket ball and table tennis which I started playing early. Some even said "You should go to NBA" when I was a University student. :eek:

Being in 30s, the biggest problems are recovery and flexibility as bionic71 mentioned. Once I play 5 set match, it's really hard to get up the next morning. I guess Yoga would be a good choice. A WTA player, Yoon-Jeong Cho started Yoga recently and she said it was very helpful.

I'm a captain of my tennis club team in my company. My plan is to join amateur level tournament next year but those tournaments are banning any kind of former player,.. so it's not that challengeable goal even if I'm far beyond it now. ;)

Good luck to you both and hopefully I can hear some good news next year.
:wavey:

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
At www.gotennis.com , there's a rubrique where you can ask specific questions (technique, tactics etc) to experts.

I asked some questions to Scott Perlstein and he answered quickly and with useful advice.

·
Banned
6,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanx. Does anybody where glasses when they play? when i used to play i didnt really need glasses. should i get contacts? or just play with glasses like Razzano and foretz.....its possible to play with glasses, right?

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts