Tennis Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
Were you all watching the same match?

The score was 3-6, 6-4, 6-4, 7-6 for goodness sake!

Johansson played an unbelievable match, matching Safin for power and out-hitting him on many occasions. Johansson took the match to Safin after the first set. In the fourth, Safin was 3-0 and break point down. He saved it(them?) and managed to claw his way back into the set, breaking Johansson back.

Did you watch that tiebreak? A couple of unbelievable backhands from Johansson, one off the half-volley too! Did you see that forehand winner that saved the first match point?

In fact, I thought that Martina tanked the last set in her final after going down a break yesterday. She was so knackered and you could see that she was going for broke in the last few games.

Safin tanking? :eek:
Get a grip! :mad:

· Registered
47 Posts
apoet29, great post!

I found it extremely shocking that Marat could be accused of tanking. IMO he tried his best on the day but came up short. You'd have thought that Johansson was the supposedly better player the way he raised his game after the first set.

I was rooting for Tommy all the way in the semifinals, but I have to say that I have taken to Marat since his sincere and humoured runner-up speech. He was very gracious and it was good to see him smiling, even though he couldn't cap off his 22nd birthday with a 2nd grand slam title.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.