Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am EXTREMELY sick of reading posts of people saying that they will not be watching the US Open because Serena and Venus will not be playing. As a HUGE fan of Monica Seles, I have been disappointed with her lack of play this year due to her injury but I still watch because I LOVE the sport. In essence, people who say they aren't watching because of the lack of Williams in the draw are really not true fans. Also, the US Open is not considered a critical failure just if the ratings bomb in the US. As a Canadian I find it insulting and ignorant that people say if there s low ratings in the States for the final it will be the end of the game and so on and so forth. If one or two Belgians make the finals the ratings will be HUGE in Europe. If a Russian makes the final, ratings will be high in Russia. If a Canadian makes the final the ratings will be huge in Canada. Tennis is global and I think the huge variances in ethnicities in the TOP 100 shows this. This is by no means an attack on the states or what say you but my own personal opinion and public airing of the things that have bugged me when reading the board tonight.

Thanks

·
Registered
883 Posts
have a hug :hug:

·
Registered
24,266 Posts
great post. i'll watch too (and attend, knowing that i may have missed all opportunity to see monica play live again). boycotting the open is ridiculous. is it the tournament's fault that players are injured? no, it's no one's fault. things happen. i think that the williams sisters fans think that by boycotting the us open, they will make serena and venus seem all the more important and as if no one else matters... -also ridiculous.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
I too will be watching the US Open, but not with much interest, but just for the sake of being informed of who wins...it sucks that venus and serena arent playing, but you're right you really cant do anything about it

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
I wish people would stop bitching.

It's a taste of your own medicine when all of you bitch about the Williams final and how you're not watching.

Give me a break. :rolleyes:

Reactions: CanIGetAWhat

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
about us open coverage why do they never show nightmatches here. do the tv channels have to pay so much more for the rights?

and I watch tennis anyway. well except when we only get andy r and his aces. then I might do something else;)

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
I'm gonna miss huge gobs of the open. boo hoo....

I have to miss most of the first two days and then most of the last four days.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Venus and serena are injured and therefore will not be playing the
US Open. There is no other reason for which they are not taking
part.
Anybody, even including their father(Richard) who says he or she
will not be watching because Venus and Serena are not playing
is an idiot. I am a die hard fan of Venus and Serena and sad that
they are not playing but I love tennis too much to let this one
go. After all I have other players whom I watch when Venus and
Serena are not playing. JUstine is playing and she is third best
player I watch almost all the time.
For those of you who will not be watching, let me ask this question--
Before Venus and Serena arrived were you not watching? And if
they leave will you not be watching tennis? Anyone who says otherwise
is not a tennis lover.

·
Premium Member
21,094 Posts
Wow well this thread is priceless! Where are all you cheerleaders when everyone boycotts a GS final because Venus and Serena are playing?

I guess they're also the idiots making this board a bad place. Or does that only apply to people you don't like?

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
luna_moonstone said:
Wow well this thread is priceless! Where are all you cheerleaders when everyone boycotts a GS final because Venus and Serena are playing?

I guess they're also the idiots making this board a bad place. Or does that only apply to people you don't like?

I don't watch all Williams finals and I'll be watching the US Open.

However, I might "boycott" the final if the two players are boring :yawn:

·
Banned
3,751 Posts
With or Without Williams, I will watch US Open as long as well.. here is my formula:

Russians girls + Tennis + Sharapova(bonus) = Full of excitement. :bounce:

·
Premium Member
21,094 Posts
Ah perhaps the people wishing to boycott the open feel that only boring players are left in the draw?

If you're entitled to think players are boring, so are they. Why are they getting more flack for it?

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
dekker, I was thinking the same exact thing after seeing USA's commercial of the U.S. Open.

Sure it is disappointing that V & S, and even Monica and Kournikova won't be there, but I am still excited for the Open. It is a great event, and has a lot of great matches to look forward to, regardless....with coverage all day long :lol:

·
Banned
821 Posts
Those who claim they're not watching the Open because the sistaz are not playing ain't tennis fans by any stretch. They're no more then Willimas worshippers. They don't enjoy watching tennis but watching their cult leaders perform rituals.

Reactions: alexusjonesfan

·
Banned
2,187 Posts
The US Open will Blow but I'll watch the men.

ps. WTF is wrong with you Camille. Do you want a superfan medal for fan conduct. STFU please and that's asking nicely. Same goes for Rebecca, who never has anything positive or intelligent to say every time she posts.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts