Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really embarassed about admitting this to my friends because they all aspire to become doctors,dentists,lawyers etc. or in other words anything else that pays a lot. I want to teach English,Spanish,and French. I do not want to ask my teachers at school for advice because then they would tell everyone in their classes because then I would really become the laughing stock. So here are my questions:

1. How do you get over the low pay?
2. How are things for teachers in your state or country?
3. How do you deal with bad behavior from kids?( I always imagine the best and that I will have an excellent relationship with students but this won't always be the case.)
4. My teacher who won state teacher of the year says that the pay is made up with from the joy she gets, of course her husband is a top executive.) Is it true the reward from teaching is seeing other students learn? How does it feel because I can't imagine such a feeling.
5. Will being a male elementary school teacher ( that is my other option) be considered too weird?
6. What inspired you to become a teacher?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Teachers dont get low pay... that's a myth. A lot of em are just greedy sods.

I did well at school and I got on well with my teachers in general but they cannot complain about their pay.

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
Well these kind of questions depend all on where you're from. That'll pretty much determine how much you get paid and how your profession will be judged socially. If you care, that is.

My advice is just do whatever makes you happy. If teaching children will make you happy then just do it. Who cares what others think.

Teachers in Australia are in short-supply so there's a high demand and I think the pay is reasonable. I think a teaching graduate earns more than some Law graduates (there's an over-supply of law graduates).

But like I said before, it depends on where you're from and in the end it's up to you. There's no use being a doctor and earning heaps of money if you're going to wake up in your mid-40's and realize it's not what you want to do.

·
Registered
18,948 Posts
The best (and corniest) advice is you need to love teaching to do it. Kids are horrible these days...parents have made it virtually impossible to punish their rotten beasts. My sis wanted to teach, but after a few weeks of student teaching in middle and high school, she flat-out quit. The kids never listened to her, disrespected her whenever they felt like it...hell, they did it to the regular teacher, too.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I wouldnt be a teacher though, I agree with GBFH, kids have no respect now... when I was about aged 12 you had pockets of anti-teacher gits who annoyed those who wanted to work, all of a sudden these people became en-masse.

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
JoeyWinson3.0 said:
I wouldnt be a teacher though, I agree with GBFH, kids have no respect now... when I was about aged 12 you had pockets of anti-teacher gits who annoyed those who wanted to work, all of a sudden these people became en-masse.
I think largely though it still depends on the schools. Some public schools are shocking. Private schools are largely ok. I went to a selective school where most people were 'teachers' pets', so to speak.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
1. How do you get over the low pay? Its not that bad, you do only work 190 days a year and your paycheck reflects that.
2. How are things for teachers in your state or country? Stay away from an urban district if possible. Those are typically the worst kids/parents
3. How do you deal with bad behavior from kids?( I always imagine the best and that I will have an excellent relationship with students but this won't always be the case.) You know, all students are different, some u need to discipline in private, others just get you mad. Most kids that have bad behavior just really need a hug. Yelling at a kid that only gets yelled at while at home does nothing. Kids need to make their own choices, or else they will never learn from their mistakes. Let them know they have a choice. be good or talk, but if u talk, u lose recess, for example. Or stay here and do your work or call your mom.
4. My teacher who won state teacher of the year says that the pay is made up with from the joy she gets, of course her husband is a top executive.) Is it true the reward from teaching is seeing other students learn? Nothign greater than watching a kid do something and say "I DID IT!" Its so inspiring to me.
5. Will being a male elementary school teacher ( that is my other option) be considered too weird? NO! I think its great. I dont teach kindergarten, but the kindergarteners LOVE me most for some reason. They love my hair, my clothes, my shoes. They look up to me as a male influence. I think its great!
6. What inspired you to become a teacher? summers off. But it changed once it happened...you really enjoy working with kids. most of the time. But like any job, it sucks sometimes, but that is when u have to deal with the adults.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been teaching in a university for 9 months. It's quite fun!!! It's a happy job for me..My students are not much younger than me (some of them are older than me :) ) , so i feel like they are both my students and friends at the same time :) However, I think being a teacher is hard work..You have to keep explaining until the students understand you. It's too bad that sometimes they never understand! Moreover, You have to be patient and hard working ! :)
Here are my answers for your questions :
1. Actually, I don't think teacher nowadays receive low pay . Anyway it depends on where you are teaching.However, there are many ways to get more money if you are hard working.
2. In my country, being a teacher(especially in a university) is a prestige job. My parents are very happy that I can be a teacher.
3. Be patient and try to understand them.
4. When I was a student, my teacher told me about this too .And I couldn't imagine such feelings either. But now I understand it. The most rewarding thing for me is to see the improvement of the students from the beginning to the end of the year. I don't know why I have to care for them so much like this.
5.hahaha Don't be afraid. I have taught the students from the faculty of engineering. Most of them are male. Believe me they are cute (in their behavior :) ) !!! ====> hehehe :eek: :eek: :p I've just noticed that I misunderstood your question, so I'd like to change my answer ====> I agree with Rein that it's a positive thing 'cause children will be surrounded by different kind of rolmodels and not only female ones.
:eek: :eek:

6. It's my dream job :) Sincerely, I think being a teacher gives me a chance to do something for society and country. Children are the future of our nations. We don't just teach them how to get good grades but we also teach them how to be good citizens ! :)

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
my mother is a teacher....
1-if you want to be paid heaps go and teach for an international school-esp in the middle east or even asia. otherwise gain many qualifications. all teachers shoulld get paid more for the sh!t and stress they put up with and all the work they do that most ppl dont ever get to see or realize how tough it really is in many cases.
2- teachers in nz have it ok, but they should all be getting more because of all the work they must do out of the class room. it is very unionised. Many teachers here go overseas (esp the uk) to escape their huge student loans or in search of better pay and adventure-that is why our government is giving them $5000 cash if they come home.NZ's schools are alsoi safe-no worries about shootings or extreamly bad students. compared to most places teaching here is like a teachers paradise and at the end of the day the only complaints are overrated and actually quite small.IM not sure what teachers relations to students in the us is supposed to be but here teachers are closer to their students life and alot more involved and "friend like"-as scary as that may seem.
3-bad behavior WILL stress you out and effect you more than you think. Deal with it however it is appropriate-if it gets them behaving and its legal-use it.just dont take any shit or we WILL walk all over you from the very start.
4-yes it is rewarding, after all the stress etc teachers do find it rewarding especially on those days when they really feel they have made a difference, many teachers teach because they find it rewarding. seeing students learn and taking satisfaction from that is what you should be looking for in becoming a teacher, not satisfaction from bossing them around or the salary.
5-yes by some. even though your intentions are innocent, in this sex obsessed day and age it will be by some. I would imagine it feeling wiered becasue you are aware of all the happenings elsewhere with male teachers etc and you may feel constantly under scrutany. do it you you feel comfortable and feel secure.

6-mother always wanted to become a teacher, she finaly did it at mid life and its somthing she loves. If its in you its in you. If its not, then you wont make that good of a teacher.

but really these answers are only in some cases....every case is individual as every child is.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
I wouldn´t want to be a teacher because I hate having loud and nasty little kids around me. :mad: :eek:

·
Registered
138 Posts
sorry about that.

I also want to be a teacher and I do find it weird sometimes to admit it. We all went to college for 5 years and all my friends want to go in politics or become journalists and managers and stuff. They don't really say it, but I know they think I'm not being ambitious enough. It's not something they would want to do. But I got over that and I don't really care any more

The pay is reasonable in Belgium, especially to start. It's a average wage for someone who went to university. And you get a lot of holidays, like 170 days or something (1 week in october and february, 2 weeks in december and april and two months in the summer + you get the weekends and the wednesday afternoon off + an other day in the week which depends on your schedule)
I will teach children from 15 on (high school as you call it) or when they're older than 18 and want to study a profession (not university)
In Belgium you have different options in high school. You have Latin, which is the highest, then you have modern studies, then trade, technical studies and the last one is learning a profession, which is the least theoretical.
These options are parts of differnt schools, so the discipliny part varies./ In the last two options there are more problems because some of these kids aren't interested in learning. They want to quit school as soon as possible. In the first three options, the kids learn a lot, and almost everyone of them keeps learning after highschool. So they are more motivated and disciplined, although there are exceptions.

The main thing is to be up front from the beginning. you have to be honest to these kids and you have to set some boundaries. It's beter to be strict from the beginning and them get more friendly after that. Mostly it's one person who gets everybody with him, so you have to adress him quickly.

I think that many people underestimate the job. you do get a lot of holidays but you have to work hard for every lesson, you have to be prepared + you have to mark tasks and tests after hours.
it's also not easy to go in front of 20 or more students and get their attention. It's scary, especially the first time (I had to do it for 2 weeks). But when you succeed and you see that you helped these kids and they understand something you explained, it's the best feeling in the world.

The male thing, in our country the're too many female teachers in all schools, so they're happy that they can have a male teacher, even in elementary school. It think it's a positive thing that children are surrounded by different kind of rolmodels and not only female ones.

good luck with your choice and sorry for the long post and spelling errors

·
Registered
600 Posts
you are embarassed that you want to be a teacher? where i live, if you are a teacher you are considered a VERY lucky person and you get a lot of respect. teachers here get paid as much as doctors do, plus they have all the other benefits that doctors don't, ie. summer holidays, early finish (in Cyprus school close at 1 pm every day), secured job right after you graduate (as far as elementary education is concerned), etc. if it wasn't for the language barrier, i think that many teachers from other European countries would come to Cyprus to teach considering all the advantages - especially now that Cyprus is an EU member.

i'm going to graduate with a degree in elementary education this summer, so right now i am doing my school practice which is very demanding coz you need a lot of preparation and stuff. from my little experience, i'd say that you should at least like the profession in order to do it, and not just look at the benefits and dive in. here we have this sort of situation where everyone wants to be a teacher because it's THE best thing to do, but i find that to be wrong because IMO not everyone can be a teacher. if you want to be a teacher but you are hesitant because you think that you don't have enough patience then i'd say don't let that get in the way because patience is built up with time and experience. and it really is a nice feeling when you see your students enjoying your teaching and actually learning something.

like someone else said here, the profession is underestimated as far as workload is concerned. it may have a lot of benefits but the responsibilities are also a lot. here we have people from the goverment that come and observe teachers during their teaching without warning, so you have to be prepared.

whatever you decide to do, good luck! :)

·
Registered
959 Posts
I want to be a teacher too! :D

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all for your help!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
My two cents...

Right now I'm working as a teacher's aide in a public elementary school in Texas. I'm very much an anomaly because 1) I'm male, 2) I teach science, 3) I'm Asian/Pacific Islander in a predominantly Latino neighborhood, and 4) I have a Ph.D. in Pathology. I didn't set out to go into teaching (I didn't think I liked kids!), but after working in a program involving bringing graduate students into public school classrooms to help teachers teach science, I got hooked!

1) I think that the pay is extremely low, at least in my situation as a science teacher. Most other people with science degrees that go into a more technical job earn about the same as a first-year teacher in the beginning, but the pay increase rate of growth is much steeper than that of a teacher. But there are other ways to supplement pay and the pay is based on 180+ days. Still, for what teachers have to do and what to put up with, I think they deserve a lot more.

2) I guess things are okay for teachers here. Not wonderful, but not horrible. State budgets (especially Texas) are forcing a lot of educational cutbacks, but teachers' jobs are still safe, for the most part. But again, a lot is expected out of a teacher and sometimes the stress looks like it's quite a bit.

3) I'm learning how to deal with bad behavior with kids. I work in one of those "inner-city schools" and I love the kids with whom I work. They really are good kids, but some of them require a lot of attention and a lot of positive reinforcement, instead of punishment. Sometimes you have to be the disciplinarian, otherwise you become a push-over or just not viewed as consistent.

4) Watching kids (and others, too!) learn is the best part of teaching, hands down. (It sure isn't the pay!)

5) I'm a male elementary school teacher! (But then again, I know I'm weird naturally...) We need more out there. There are a lot of kids who need positive male role models. I can only hope to be one of those for my kids.

6) I got tired of research and felt that I was doing a lot more good. Plus, I liked the challenge of teaching.

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Kiwi_Boy is right...... teachers in international schools get paid heaps so this might be a tip for you i guess :p i'm studying in an international schools and my friends are pretty okay... they're not really spoilt brats and they listen to the teachers.... basically some of the teachers here in my international school are quite strict but others just make sure that we do work and not play around...

one of the reasons why these teachers are highly-paid is coz our school fees cost a bomb, about US$ 12,500 per year + an annual US$3000 CLC certificate... yet i'm still in year 11....

hope this helps...

pm me if u need more questions regarding teaching in an international school ;)

·
Banned
1,735 Posts
I teach community college and I love it. In Los Angeles I really can't complain seeing that I made six figures last year. I teach a subject that I love and I get to work with extremely talented students. (One of my students won a grammy a few years ago and I've been able to help secure a few of them record deals.)

But, in truth, if I had to teach high school kids in LA I'd probably leave the profession.

But while it seems that some make fun of teachers, not a single one of the scoffers would be able to do what they do without us. ;)

·
Registered
991 Posts
i'm starting my teacher training year in September - teaching English to 11-15 year olds :devil:

to be honest with you, one of the main reasons i'm doing it is because of all the holidays, no offence to anyone who has a 9-5 job, but 20 odd days off a YEAR would literally kill me inside!

And where would I find the time to attend all those tennis tournies??!! ;)

·
Registered
618 Posts
Teachers in Turkiye get paid average in public and get well paid in private schools. Teachers usually try giving private lessons to earn more.

I tried teaching English to 12-15 year-olds 2 weeks ago and it was really tiresome!
I'd rather become a university prof.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts