Tennis Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,890 Posts
She looks stronger at RG so far than last year, and she has looked good in winning 3 titles (all Tier II tho). Off clay, though, she may still battle her nerves and her focus like she did in the Miami final. If she can get past her nerves, we may very well see her in more slam finals and who knows, maybe, taking one outside of the French.

·
Banned
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think so too. If she could serve at 55-60%, she would be unbeatable!
That's correct.
The only thing I am worried about her is her 1st serve.
If she could do it at 60-65%, she could win both wimbledon and USOpen last year.

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
her groundstrokes are better. especially her forehand but even her backhand seems heavier. seems that her slice is also tougher. her volleys crisper and her touch shots finer. her running shots have improved too. her serve and ESPECIALLY her returns are getting her more free points.

·
Banned
11,141 Posts
That's correct.
The only thing I am worried about her is her 1st serve.
If she could do it at 60-65%, she could win both wimbledon and USOpen last year.
She served in the 60s and even in the 70s in the first week of Wimledon last year. Her serve started to crumble in the second week (specifically against Hantuchova) and it had gone bad against Mauresmo. So basically, she can serve in the high percentages, but it's a question of whether she can hold it up.

I'm not worried at all by her serve percentage at RG. She's really going for those first serves, because basically she knows that it's really hard to hurt her from the returns on clay.

And I agree, she definitely improved from last year, especially her volleying. Even her forehand has improved. :eek:

·
Registered
10,890 Posts
She served in the 60s and even in the 70s in the first week of Wimledon last year. Her serve started to crumble in the second week (specifically against Hantuchova) and it had gone bad against Mauresmo. So basically, she can serve in the high percentages, but it's a question of whether she can hold it up.
Didn't she change her service motion between Wimby & the US Open last year? Hasn't seemed to get as many 1st serves in since that time...but her 2nd is just really great.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
wimby should be interesting this year, not that i'm a henin fan but she really impressed me on the grass courts last year (and tbh i wanted her to win that final). i've only seen one of her RG matches this year and it was the one against serena where she looked very comfortable and in control (in the few games that i saw of the match).

·
Banned
11,141 Posts
Didn't she change her service motion between Wimby & the US Open last year? Hasn't seemed to get as many 1st serves in since that time...but her 2nd is just really great.
Yup, true, but I don't think the first serve percentage has generally changed. She has always tended to serve in the 50s. I think her serving in the first week of wimbledon last year was exceptional even for her previous serving motion.

·
Registered
10,890 Posts
Yup, true, but I don't think the first serve percentage has generally changed. She has always tended to serve in the 50s. I think her serving in the first week of wimbledon last year was exceptional even for her previous serving motion.
Yeah, and in any case, I think her actual biggest weakness has been her nerves in the slam finals. Even just a tad at the French, but in a huge way at the other 3 last year.

·
Registered
17,922 Posts
Yeah, and in any case, I think her actual biggest weakness has been her nerves in the slam finals. Even just a tad at the French, but in a huge way at the other 3 last year.
I don't think her nerves did her in, but it does have to do with her mind. It seems like if she has ANY little injury that she's worried about, it really gets in her head and prevents her from playing freely. This has been the case in the last couple of US Opens in particular.

I've always thought that a good tactic for her opponents would be to ask her casually, on the way to the court, "So how's that back/hamstring/knee/shoulder (insert latest injury here) coming along, Justine? That must cause you a lot of worry. I sure hope it won't GET WORSE during our match!" :devil:

·
Registered
353 Posts
She is super confident. There isn't a player out there as confident on clay. She has this thing wrapped up, bring on Wimbledon please...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts