Tennis Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
In the past she would shit her pants in a regular WTA final like Ostrava. One step, at a time. Not everyone has to take the world by storm and hardly anyone did. Winning your first title and it being a GS is only a recent oddity.
This is true but she's also peaking at the wrong time for a slam run. That said, I absolutely can see her taking any three except FO.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I don't think so, she's yet to prove herself in slams so far.

·
Registered
15,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I don't think so, she's yet to prove herself in slams so far.
Her record at slams is not that bad, it is not like she loses in R1/R2 all the time. She has already made a couple of R4s and the QF at AO '20.

·
Registered
17,751 Posts
No.

Altho in this era of depth anyone could win, the chances of her winning a slam remain negligible.

With that level of consistent mediocrity she will always come up short

·
Registered
8,259 Posts
Perun makes always the best threads !

Is there a poll who makes the beste most orginal threads?

Then I vote for @Perun

He is the best user of all :love:

And yes of course she can win a GS, we have seen then litterly everyone can win 1 GS

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
I'm very impressed by the level she came up with while winning Ostrava, and now she seems to follow this up with another great tournament. She seems to have turned the page working with her new coach. Some shots that she makes are unreal and she rarely makes unforced errors now. The mental side though is still a question mark and she can be ousted with surprising ease by players of Osaka as US Open 2020 proves.

We all like Kontaveit but her game lacks the "it" factor to win Grand Slams. I mean she might win one, but at least 20 other players are just as likely if not more so. I guess this really did not deserve its own thread.

·
Registered
35,496 Posts
She has improved overall, definitely, but whether it's enough it's too soon to tell. I can see her winning more titles, just not sure about a Slam.

·
Registered
988 Posts
All players train, schedule and play prior events in order to peak for a slam run on that particular suface and playing style.

Its quite amusing posters trying to use random unrelated playing conditions of some WTA events as an indicator of SLAM performance, they are anything but...........especially IW / Miami

Anett got to QF so not that far off....

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
I don’t think Anett will win a Slam and I’m saying this as a super fan. She lacks the mental dynamism that past GS champs have (excluding Krejcikova imo). She also has that glaring forehand on the run weakness that is easy to exploit.

But that’s ok. I really enjoy following her career either way.

Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
At the moment she seems too inconsistent to win 7 in a row and too choky to close the deal in the big matches. But she does have a lot of game, so wouldn't be surprised if one day she turns things around and ends up with 1-2 slams

·
Premium Member
37,914 Posts
I could see her winning Wimbledon. She's been comfortable on grass for a long time, and most of the other women suck on the surface,
she's never been past round 3 in wimbledon.

Her record at slams is not that bad, it is not like she loses in R1/R2 all the time. She has already made a couple of R4s and the QF at AO '20.
she's almost 26 and has a single GS quarter final to her name. very underwhelming.

·
Registered
15,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
she's never been past round 3 in wimbledon.

she's almost 26 and has a single GS quarter final to her name. very underwhelming.
But I think the best is yet to come for Anett.

Reactions: azfan and quasi

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think Anett is in process her tennis prime time (typically age around mid 20 among wta, I think). She is 25 yo and have lot of experiences. She earned 2 titles with a trial basis coaching less than 4 months. That's quite fast finding and improving a person ability. Imagine how long it would take to be good at it (improving part) then it becomes a consistence.

One match at the time, she may have some thing new or improved shot under her sleeve for the next match.
Let's go! Anett.

... the best is yet to come for Anett.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I could see her winning Wimbledon. She's been comfortable on grass for a long time, and most of the other women suck on the surface,
Active players who've made at least a SF at Wimbledon:
Barty, Sabalenka, Pliskova, Muguruza, Svitolina, Kvitova, Kerber, Halep, Ostapenko, Azarenka, Bouchard

Technically still active:
Serena, Venus, Clijsters

Active players who've won Eastbourne:
Keys, Bencic

That's hardly a small list considering the closest thing you've got to a dud is Bouchard and most of those are the biggest champions of this era. Wimbledon isn't RG where every year is a lottery, it's the opposite in fact, it's the one slam where the cream rise to the top even when the field is pitiful and the closest thing you get to an exception is someone like Bartoli who reached multiple Wimbledon finals.

If she's going to luck into a slam it'll be on a hardcourt where Jennifer Brady can make a slam final out of no where and then disappear as fast as she rose. Wimbledon isn't a cheap slam to win and the fact it's prestige has survived the last decade has only added to it's lustre.

·
Registered
495 Posts
We all like Kontaveit but her game lacks the "it" factor to win Grand Slams. I mean she might win one, but at least 20 other players are just as likely if not more so. I guess this really did not deserve its own thread.
Good thing she's playing in one of the most open eras of women's tennis. Her window remains well open while Barty has restrictions due to Covid and Osaka is a part-time player. As well for many others. Kontaveit will certainly not maintain this high level she's at now. So long as her regression is brief and she can peak again at the right time without any major injuries, she's certainly a type that can get hot for two weeks.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts