Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Banned
15,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm very impressed by the level she came up with while winning Ostrava, and now she seems to follow this up with another great tournament. She seems to have turned the page working with her new coach. Some shots that she makes are unreal and she rarely makes unforced errors now. Her bold ballstriking is very entertaining too. The mental side though is still a question mark and she can be ousted with surprising ease by players of Osaka as US Open 2020 proves.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Interesting prediction. Not obvious but actually I think it's quite likely.

·
La nuit je mens
91,514 Posts
Even though WTA is random, Kontaveit would probably be among the few top 50 players I would bet against in a Slam final. Major Lisicki vibes.

·
Registered
117,483 Posts
You could start this thread about 50 other slamless players also. I never thought she was good mentally, but I always say they dont have to win one young like Swiatek, Andreescu, Ostapenko
They could win it later like Kerber, Wozniacki, Halep
But there are so many others with a chance and the high pressure matches favor the players who are less accomplished. The ones who did a lot between majors like Pliskova and Svitolina panic deep in majors
And Kontaveit doing well here doesnt translate to late in majors

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Well she's now with Tursonov, who seems to be getting the best out of her right now. OTOH, she might just be getting that new coach bounce that some players get when they appoint a new coach, where the level goes up but then eventually comes back down when the honeymoon phase is over.

I wouldn't be surprised if she won at Indian Wells this year, because alongside Jabeur, has probably been the most impressive player on tour since the USO.

Whether she can carry that form and mentality into 2022 is another question.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
She has shown ability recently to mentally overcome scenarios she has not before so perhaps. She was real close to pulling off the win vs Swiatek at the USO and I don't think she is able to make that comeback vs Bianca 2 days ago a year or two ago once she failed to close out the set

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I think that Maryna Zanevska, 28 years old from Belgium currently ranked 100 in the world, will win a GS in the future, maybe next year already. What do you think?
I think it’s too early to drink.

·
Banned
15,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
517 Posts
If you think so I'd say Wimbledon 2021 most likely, followed by Aussie Open, US Open then French.

I just looked at two futures wagering menus for Australian Open and Wimbledon and the one book wasn't even offering bets on Kontaveit futures.

·
Banned
15,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
She looks like she will shit her bed in a slam final.
In the past she would shit her pants in a regular WTA final like Ostrava. One step, at a time. Not everyone has to take the world by storm and hardly anyone did. Winning your first title and it being a GS is only a recent oddity.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts