JuJu, Serena, JJ, Ana, Tati and Peng. :rocker2:

JuJu vs Serena in the final :bounce:

Maybe Kuz and Nicole wont defend their pts :p

Reactions: AlwaysAmelie

·
Banned
4,328 Posts
i think justine is not going to defend her title.ana a big no.tati no
petrova-mental midget sveta no.serena hard to predict since she hasnt played clay in 2yrs.
i think RG is wide open for women.

·
Registered
115,324 Posts
Justine has won 2 straight and 3 of 4, so she's the one to beat.
If she doesn't win, it could be wide open. Serena certainly has enough game to win this. So does Amelie, if she can play her best tennis at RG.
Nadia won 3 clay tournaments last year, then was injured for RG. She's made 2 RG semis. If she can play near her best in week 2, she has a chance.
I thought Sveta had a great draw last year, beating Dinara and Nicole. That was a soft half, but Sveta has game when she's on.
Jankovic Golovin and Ivanovic have wins on clay this year.

·
Registered
25,015 Posts
I think the winner will be one of these players...

Justine Henin
Serena Williams
Svetlana Kuznetsova
Nadia Petrova

But mainly the first two.

·
Registered
44 Posts
be gr8 to see peng get to the 4th rd - be a nice effort... predicting she would win the tournament is plain crazy... I think this years draw is going to fall apart and Henin will not defend her title.. maybe Svet. can go one step further and win the title.. ?? Or better still Arantxa gets WCARD.. and wins RG HAHAHA Oh that was just a dream.. not that i really followed her when she was on tour.

·
The Comeback Begins - January 2010.
8,475 Posts
Dead on
Justine, Serena

Within a Shout
Jelena, Kuznetsova, Martina, Venus, Ivanovic, Momo

Outside Chance
Dementieva, Patty

No Way Jose
Everyone else

"I won't be there"
Sharapova and other injured players

"Hi, I was a former WTA Player and I'm now watching fomr the stands....
Kim Clijsters

Reactions: Reuchlin

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
:haha: what is with delusional Chinese fans?

·
Rena's Army
35,201 Posts
Dead on
Justine, Serena

Within a Shout
Jelena, Kuznetsova, Martina, Venus, Ivanovic, Momo

Outside Chance
Dementieva, Patty

No Way Jose
Everyone else

"I won't be there"
Sharapova and other injured players

"Hi, I was a former WTA Player and I'm now watching fomr the stands....
Kim Clijsters

LOL @ the last comment....I'd have to agree though:)

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
Peng... wtf... i cant even laugh at that... u cannot seriously have that opinion...

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Favorite:
Justine Henin: 3 of the last 4, two time defending champion, moves the best of anyone on clay, works points well, Parisians love her cuz she's a francophone (and don't tell me that doesn't matter.)

Significant Challenger(s):
Serena Williams: She's Serena. Still, Justine lead 6-0; 5-4 on her worst and Serena's best surface in her least favorite and Serena's favorite country. Serena's the only one with a more than 10% chance of beating Justine (I'd still give Justine a 60-40 edge at least,) but even her power and leviathan belief can't make up for Justine's natural edge on clay.

Legitimate Chance:
Svetlana Kuznetsova--second best clay courter in terms of movement and ability to work points. She's still 2 for 17 against Justine, and Serena can overpower her.

Outside chance:
Ana Ivanovic--Sven Groenfeld seems to be working well for Ana. She was constructing points well and hitting huge all week in Berlin. I just don't have the belief that she can last two weeks and seven matches.

Jelena Jankovic--Very consistent, good on clay, constructs points well, but would have to win the Myskina way--i.e. the top players collapse mentally and you're there to receive their gifts. I don't think the planets will allign that way again, and Justine and Serena are much tougher than Venus Williams, Jennifer Capriati and Elena Dementieva. Still, we know Jelena is going to put up a fight and is one of the few who would be able to capitalize on serious off days from the true contenders.

True Longshots Still Worth Mentioning:

Nicole Vaidisova--has the power and the belief, but does anyone want to bet that she keeps it up for seven matches?

Tatiana Golovin--plays well on clay, has the patience and a closing shot plus a good set up serve, moves well, but just doesn't believe, plus she can be inconsistent.

Martina Hingis--she played the best match of her comeback against Clijsters. If she had kept it up all season, she'd be a threat by now. Instead, she started to lose to players she beat last year. She has lost her consistency, her fitness, her placement and her variety. She is essentially a retriever. If she gets her game back to where it was against Clijsters and in the first month or two of 2006, she'd be as much of a threat as Sveta. Sadly, I don't think that's going to happen.

Anna Chakvetadze--see Jelena Jankovic, but less powerful and not playing quite as well.

Maria Sharapova--if she reverts to summer/fall 2006 mode and poisons Justine's chardonay. She's still too good and too tough to throw with the likes of Sania Mirza or someone.

Players others might mention that I don't give a chance:

Nadia Petrova--plays well on clay but is mentally fragile and hasn't been playing well to boot.

Shahar Peer--fights well, but fight isn't enough in this world. Can't beat flat hitting power players.

Dinara Safina--um...moving on

Daniela Hantuchova--this aint My Little Pony, people. Miracles are for Moses.

In all seriousness, it would surprise me if Justine or Serena did not win.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts