Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just have a feeling one of those talented girls will be the surprise winner. The favorites have more pressures in them now with the general consensus that this is a 'wide open' Open and is ready for 'their' taking.

But I can see an upstart or probably a lower rank player, with no expectations or the pressure to win, to sneak her way to title. And IMH O, the Russians are the best bet (with so many of them in the draw).

:wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

·
Registered
122,496 Posts
I thought Lena Bovina looked good against Jenn.
But I'll be happy with two Russians in the quarters.
The Russians ARE coming, and they'll get there. But not yet. But I can hope.

·
Registered
17,958 Posts
It is weird. I have had dreams for like, over a year now that Masha would win her first slam at the Open (no year given). I have like, envisioned it, and it is the same match over and over again in my head:confused: . I am not doing a Madam Cleo and suggesting that this must mean she wins this year, or that it means anthing at all. However, if a Russian were to win, I have a hunch it would be her. She has a very nice draw if she can get by Vivi (and the Capster. That match will break my heart either way lol:eek: ). Who knows.....

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
you could be right.

lina k just beat kim the #1 player and reached a tier 1 final so she has confidence in herself and her game (hopefully she doesn't remember the tournament as a thrashing in the final).

petrova is a bit inconsistent but seems to stand up for the majors and has reached the semis of a slam this year so she should think she is in with a shot.

bovina is coming back to form and reached the quarters last year (she'll either think she has a chacne to win the open or she'll be thinking about defending her quarter-final points, i hope she is thinking the first if she is she should go quite far).

myskina has a pretty good draw to reach the quarters (i think she's in bovina's section so one of them should get through and the winner would play henin)

dementieva has been playing well lately and she got her best result at the us open so that should give her confidence. the loss to davenport is a bump in the road but one she shouldn't take any notice of.

sharapova imo has the game to win major as long as she is consistent and she did take kim to 3 sets. she's also in the quarter that venus was in so she should try and take advantage of this situation.

zvonareva has come off an injury and hasn't been playing the sort of tennis she was earlier in the year but she is still playing reasonably well and is dangerous.

kuznetsova is also dangerous and has had some good results lately. she's in kims section again like last year and last year she had kim on the brink. both are better players now but kuznetsova is very dangerous.

douchevina is also in that section (so is zvonareva). douchevina hasn't got the experience of the others but has had good results lately and can play great tennis, she is one to watch out for.

kirilenko is also in that quarter but is on mauresmo's side (as is lina k). she won the junior title here last year and has has some good wins but no results that would suggest she is ready to take on the top players but still young players can get their breakthrough at anytime, she plays logar in round 1 and then probably lina k round 2, either way mauresmo is having a lot of injury troubles and may not be at her best leaving a chance for some one to get over her.

also safina she has won a title this season and she had a pretty humiliating loss to serena here last year so she should have the motivation to do well, could this be her breakthrough grandslam?

then there is elena L who is in rubins section, i think elena has a good chance of beateing rubin, just my opinion.

there are so many russians in kims quarter. obviously not all of the players i mentioned have a shot at the title but a lot of them are capable of making upsets which could open the door for someone else. it's tough to say a russian will come through as i find it hard to believe that justine and kim will falter in a grand slam before the final.

but i love the russians and wouldn't mind one of them winning a GS. go get em' girls!

·
Registered
16,898 Posts
Even with the unfortunate absence of the Williams sisters, I still don't think any of the Russina's are ready to go all the way and win the 2003 U.S. Open title. But I think a Russian could make a semifinal. And I'd settle for that right now! :D

GL, Elena Bovina looked so good against Jennifer Capriati! :) This wasn't the same player who was thrashed by her compatriot Maria Sharapova at Wimbledon. :eek: Elena's fine all court game was a revelation! :bounce: And if she can master playing like that she could someday be a grand slam title contender.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
bovina hardly volleyed at all against sharapova. it just goes to show that volleying still has a big part in tennis (at least for the women).

·
Banned
71 Posts
bovina is coming back to form and reached the quarters last year (she'll either think she has a chacne to win the open or she'll be thinking about defending her quarter-final points, i hope she is thinking the first if she is she should go quite far).
Lena seriously thinks she should beat everyone... and she even said that when she was struggling.

If I had her scary game, I'd probably think that way too.

·
Banned
822 Posts
Oh please. What's all the hype around the Russian players lately? Just making a final at a tire I doesn't equal having a good shot at a GS. I don't c any of them reaching the SFs. Even Dementieva isn't consistent enough. She could lose before the 3rd round.

·
Registered
838 Posts
The problem with all those so-called "young talented" Russians, is that they are not that young any more. The only one that is really young is Maria. All the rest is barely younger than Justine and Kim and some are already older. The best is still Myskina (barely top 10).

Kim was already number three in the ranking when she was 18. She reached her first final of a slam at the tender age of 17. None of the "young" Russians come close in equalling both Belgians after 2 full years of competition. Justine and Kim are now 4 years in competition and only Serena and Venus (in the few tournaments she plays) are able to stop the two Belgians.

BTW : This doesn't mean Justine and Kim will play the final at the US Open. Both look tired and are injured (Justine has a back injury).

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
rikvanlooy said:
The problem with all those so-called "young talented" Russians, is that they are not that young any more. The only one that is really young is Maria. All the rest is barely younger than Justine and Kim and some are already older. The best is still Myskina (barely top 10).

Kim was already number three in the ranking when she was 18. She reached her first final of a slam at the tender age of 17. None of the "young" Russians come close in equalling both Belgians after 2 full years of competition. Justine and Kim are now 4 years in competition and only Serena and Venus (in the few tournaments she plays) are able to stop the two Belgians.

BTW : This doesn't mean Justine and Kim will play the final at the US Open. Both look tired and are injured (Justine has a back injury).
Justine has a back injury! Didn't know that, please enlghten me about the injury.
I don't think Kim looked tired against Liu, didn't play her best but that is good she has produced her best early in slams before and that didn't get her the title, so she can save her good stuff for later on and build into the tournament. Kim isn't injured, she had a leg strain but it is healed now, it is still a bit stiff but is healed won't inhibit her moevement, in other words she will perform her splits :p

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
rikvanlooy, lina k is 18 and so are zvonareva and kuznetsova while safina is 17, kirilenko is 16 and douchevina is also 16. i think these are the players they are talknig about not myskina and dementieva. the only players kim and justines age is probably petrova and bovina and petrova was interrupted with injury most of last year.

most of the russians aren't yet kim and justines age and both of them are playing their best tennis now.

but imo any player can be 'up and coming' even if they are 28. to be 'up and coming' they don't have to be young, there are such players as late bloomers.

i'm not saying a russian will win or beat a belgian but they are 'young'. the only thing wrong that i see is that they aren't as far along as kim and justine were at their age.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Gowza said:
rikvanlooy, lina k is 18 and so are zvonareva and kuznetsova while safina is 17, kirilenko is 16 and douchevina is also 16. i think these are the players they are talknig about not myskina and dementieva. the only players kim and justines age is probably petrova and bovina and petrova was interrupted with injury most of last year.

most of the russians aren't yet kim and justines age and both of them are playing their best tennis now.

but imo any player can be 'up and coming' even if they are 28. to be 'up and coming' they don't have to be young, there are such players as late bloomers.

i'm not saying a russian will win or beat a belgian but they are 'young'. the only thing wrong that i see is that they aren't as far along as kim and justine were at their age.
Those "young" Russians have been playing almost as long as the Belgians.

Lina K. turned pro in the same year as Justine and Kim and is already 19 (since april).

Kuzn. turned pro one year after Justine and Kim and is 18, but as I stated before, in Belgian media there has been hinted that she is in fact already 20 (look at a previous thread).

Zvona. turned pro one year after Justine and Kim and will turn 19 within a few weeks (September 7, 1984), she is only one year younger than Kim.

They have been there for a number of years and didn't achieve something big since then, so I wonder why they will be the next big stars.

They are good and some of them will be in the top 10 (or even top 5 - look at Dokic and Hantuchova), but they don't have as much talent as Serena, Venus or even Justine and Kim.

Safina, Kirilenko and Douchevina are still very young, but they are only talents and nothing more. One could say that someone like Belgian Kirsten Flipkens (winner of the junior Wimbledon title this year) is also a talent, but no one thinks she is as good as Justine and Kim, or that she will win a grand slam.

The only one that I see that has the talent to become a threat is Maria, but she is still too young. A lot can happen (look at what happened to Kournikova, Dokic and Hantuchova).

They have still a lot of room for improvement, but if you look at what has happened last year, it's very clear that only Kim and Justine have improved enormously. The others of the same generation could have done as well (Dokic, Petrova, Bovina, ...), but they didn't.

BTW : I think Justine is still way off her best. She still needs another 2 to 3 years to get her power up to scratch (source : Pat Etcheberry). Justine is a late bloomer.

·
Registered
838 Posts
kim&lleytonrule said:
Justine has a back injury! Didn't know that, please enlghten me about the injury.
I don't think Kim looked tired against Liu, didn't play her best but that is good she has produced her best early in slams before and that didn't get her the title, so she can save her good stuff for later on and build into the tournament. Kim isn't injured, she had a leg strain but it is healed now, it is still a bit stiff but is healed won't inhibit her moevement, in other words she will perform her splits :p
Kim has indeed told that her strain is healed, but I wonder. It's certainly not a good sign. It might come back when she plays a lot of matches. kim has a very tough draw at the US Open.

Justine w

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
everyone knows that they won't be the next 'big stars' i don't think anyone is saying that. as far as i'm concerned sharapova is the only one, that i've seen that i think can reach top 5 or even top 3. safina and douchevina i've only seen one match of each, safina played serena and douchevina played harkleroad. i think the next most talented after sharapova are safina and douchevina but of course i'm npot sure about those 2. i wasn't impressed with kuznetsova when i saw her against justine (in terms of being top 5 she may someday be top 10 but i wasn't all that impressed). zvonareva doesn't have enough power to be top 5, lina k i haven't seen and petrova is good but i don't see much improvement in her unless she can fix her movement (she also inconsistent). bovina is impressive but to inconsistent. but imo serena, venus, kim and justine are the best and they take up 4 out of the top 5 so i only see sharapova getting near them out of the russians, the others although they may get into the top 10 or top 5 i don't thin they have what it takes to get near the belgians and v & s.

i think hantuchova is more talented than all the russians except for sharapova.

so i don't think anyone is saying they'll all be grand slam champions, some of them may get a lucky break with an open draw and slip through but that doesn't often very much so it's unlikely. i'm certainly not saying they'll be at the williams' standard except for sharapova.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.