1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mary Pierce's thumping of Graf @ the 94 French Open

Amelie Mauresmo -v- Davenport 99 A.O.

Petrova -v- Capriati 03 French

All underdogs who beat a top player playing well.

Seles -v- Capriati 01 Acura Classic

Seles -v- Hingis 01 Acura Classic

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
joannette kruger is all I say :rolleyes:

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Um, JHH def. Serena at Roland Garros. Serena played well until she collapsed cause of the infamous incident.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Hantuchova-Hingis IW

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
still funny though that steffi (and I saw about all matches she played that clayseason) played crap in almost all matches (just a few examples losing a set to maggie maleeva that didn't happen in 9 other meetings, 6:4 5:2 then losing, almost losing to julie halard, the set against joannette kruger) and suddenly in that semi she played well?

lmao :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
182,154 Posts
Steffi played awful against Mary that day, saying that Mary was on fire.
Steffi couldn't get anything going spraying balls all over.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
hingis-seles said:
Martina played horribly against Monica in 2001 at the Acura. She played poorly that entire summer.
I have this match and Hingis didn't play horrible at all.

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
Graf-Venus 99 Wimbledon
Venus-Hingis 00 Wimbledon

Hingis-Venus 99 US Open
Venus-Hingis 00 US Open

Serena-Davenport 99 LA
Serena-Davenport 99 US Open
Davenport-Serena 00 US Open
Serena-Davenport 01 US Open

Venus-Jennifer 01 Miami
Venus-Jennifer 01 New Haven
Venus-Jennifer 01 US Open

Jennifer-Hingis 02 Australian

Davenport-Jennifer 03 Indian Wells

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Hingis actually played very well against Monica those 2 times during the summer! :rolleyes: she made like 5 errors and like 20 winners.

If any of the following: Monica, Serena, Venus, Justine, Lindsay, Chanda ...most power players are at their best, their best just beats Martina, plain and simple. The key for Martina is that she never really has that bad a day.

·
Registered
19,165 Posts
R&J said:
I have this match and Hingis didn't play horrible at all.
I remember watching this match and while Monica played great, Martina was well below her best. She struggled that entire summer, playing poorly. Two losses to Monica and then the Serena slamming at the US Open.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Jen- Serena 01-03

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
hingis-seles said:
I remember watching this match and while Monica played great, Martina was well below her best. She struggled that entire summer, playing poorly. Two losses to Monica and then the Serena slamming at the US Open.
I dont understand what you think that Hingis' best could have done better in that match? Monica was too good period.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
well martina was far from her best that whole year (after australia). but martina is not a player who sprays ball all over the courts like many off powerplayers. she gets defensive, hit the ball not deep in the court, mostly in the middle, and she is giving the power players an opportunity to hit winners all the way. so it looks like martina has no influence but she has. the biggest example is the semi at the french 2001 :eek:

·
SMUstang,
8,482 Posts
THe biggest one that stands out in my mind is MOnica Seles against Venus Williams at last year's WTA Championships. Seles played great, returned great, and still lost.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts