Tennis Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is because she was never happy/satisfied with her own career. When I look at other champions who have achieved many great things in tennis (Graf, Evert, Seles etc), I get a different vibe from these players. They have an aura of happiness and satisfaction for what they achieved in their career. Such that, when they felt the time was right they were able to walk away from the game.

Martina was unable to do this making multiple comebacks in singles and doubles obviously trying to prove to herself and others that she was the best.

In my opinion this is why Martina is so indifferent to the sisters, she knows that they could walk away from tennis tomorrow, never pick up a tennis racquet again, and be totally fine with it. She knows that these women are the most athletically gifted players the women's game has ever seen and that is threatening to a woman who had to work so hard for what she achieved. You can hear the jealousness when she is repeatedly saying how "strong" Serena is or how "long" Venus' limbs are. She knows that if she had the same athletic prowess she would have won even more than she did.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Martina, because she accomplished more than any other woman player ever will, I just wish she'd be more proud of her own career so that the her commentary could be more objective. If anything she should be able to relate to the sisters because they actually have a lot in common. They all had periods of dominance, all had periods where the media wasn't kind to them, and all have achieved at.a high level in tennis.

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Nah, Martina is a racist and that's it and that's all.

·
Serena's #1 Hater
19,697 Posts
It is because she was never happy/satisfied with her own career. When I look at other champions who have achieved many great things in tennis (Graf, Evert, Seles etc), I get a different vibe from these players. They have an aura of happiness and satisfaction for what they achieved in their career. Such that, when they felt the time was right they were able to walk away from the game.

Martina was unable to do this making multiple comebacks in singles and doubles obviously trying to prove to herself and others that she was the best.

In my opinion this is why Martina is so indifferent to the sisters, she knows that they could walk away from tennis tomorrow, never pick up a tennis racquet again, and be totally fine with it. She knows that these women are the most athletically gifted players the women's game has ever seen and that is threatening to a woman who had to work so hard for what she achieved. You can hear the jealousness when she is repeatedly saying how "strong" Serena is or how "long" Venus' limbs are. She knows that if she had the same athletic prowess she would have won even more than she did.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Martina, because she accomplished more than any other woman player ever will, I just wish she'd be more proud of her own career so that the her commentary could be more objective. If anything she should be able to relate to the sisters because they actually have a lot in common. They all had periods of dominance, all had periods where the media wasn't kind to them, and all have achieved at.a high level in tennis.
First of all, Martina only came back once. Secondly, and more importantly, Martina has more singles majors than both Williams sisters combined (18-17). She won 344 titles in her career; neither Williams sister will even play in that many tournaments, let alone win that many. What could Martina Navratilova POSSIBLY be jealous about?

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
I can't believe I'm about to do this, but I will: Martina is no racist, she just hates the Williams Sisters. I think her main dislike for them is because they have both, with the exception of BJK, shown little regard for the likes of Martina, Everett, Shriver, and Austin (ie. the tennis establishment) went against their advice at every turn and not just succeed but REALLY succeed. All this without really acknowledging all these women. Martina needs for people to tell her how great she is and bask in her accomplishments, but Venus and Serena never will (note Wimbledon 08 when Venus gave thanks to BJK, but no mention of Martina during her winners speach). In short, I think Martina feels disrespected by Venus and Serena, and does very little to hide her displeasure.

Reactions: Tech1

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
The only thing that I think Martina could be jealous about is the fact that both WS don't devote their whole lives to tennis. Martina did. And on top of that, both WS are making millions on top of millions while doing so. They know they can't play tennis forever and you're young once. Why not pursue your interests while playing tennis. No one cares about you once you retire. It's the truth.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First of all, Martina only came back once. Secondly, and more importantly, Martina has more singles majors than both Williams sisters combined (18-17). She won 344 titles in her career; neither Williams sister will even play in that many tournaments, let alone win that many. What could Martina Navratilova POSSIBLY be jealous about?
Read again, I never said she was jealous of their achievements. I said she was jealous of their athletic ability. Obviously being the winningest women's tennis player, she would not be jealous of their titles.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
She won 9 Wimbledons. How isn't that an achievement, fellas?
I prefer Ree and Vee a million times over Navratilova, but this thread is just non-sense...

·
Serena's #1 Hater
19,697 Posts
Read again, I never said she was jealous of their achievements. I said she was jealous of their athletic ability. Obviously being the winningest women's tennis player, she would not be jealous of their titles.
OK, why would Navratilova be jealous of that when she is regarded as one of the most athletically gifted women to ever pick up a racquet?

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She won 9 Wimbledons. How isn't that an achievement, fellas?
I prefer Ree and Vee a million times over Navratilova, but this thread is just non-sense...
it's more non-sensical that you didn't read the original post which says nothing about Martina not achieving.

·
Registered
14,232 Posts
Which ever way you slice it or dice it, or whether you bring the WS into the equation at all, it's pretty clear that Martina isn't satisfied with her career. She's on record saying that she wishes she'd won more Grand Slams.

It's difficult to judge her personality because she isn't the most expressive person, but she seems like she might just be an unsatisfied person in general. Some people are just like that. They always need SOMETHING to whinge about. In Martina's case it's always going to be tennis-related.

·
Rena's Army
35,196 Posts
OK, why would Navratilova be jealous of that when she is regarded as one of the most athletically gifted women to ever pick up a racquet?
he didn't say jealous :scratch: he said SHE wasn't satisfied :shrug: that's not the sme thing...

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
he didn't say jealous :scratch: he said SHE wasn't satisfied :shrug: that's not the sme thing...
Perhaps you need to read the original post. He did state that Martina was jealous :lol:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I'm a big fan of Venus & Serena too but I never understand these threads that purport to know what players think & have in their heart. Sometimes we as fans think too much of ourselves.

VeeRee - luv ya but you don't really know how Navratilova feels or what she's thinking.

·
Registered
50,589 Posts
It seems to me like she can't understand why they don't play a lot:shrug:

·
Registered
8,831 Posts
shes a bitter old hag...goodness. She tried to be "Friends" with the sisters when they were first on the scene, and they werent having it. And shes still pissed about it. She wanted to play doubles with Venus and Venus told her no i only play with Serena.... (even though she has actually entered events now with other girls :lol:) So what does she do? say things like "Venus and Serena cant even play doubles they just blast away at the ball"....... funny when you were still playing you wanted to play with one of them.

Why is Martina hating on Venus and Serena? because when she was dominating the tour was nothing to dominate..... They had the ability to actually dominate a competitive tour and didnt and seem perfectly content with that. It eats at Martina that tennis was her life and now her life sucks without it..... and that clearly wont be the same for them.

·
Registered
10,190 Posts
I'm more interested in understanding the WS fans obsession with Martina

·
Banned
30,774 Posts
Really???!!! Where did you hear that?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well, why is she so bitter, she came 2nd on "I'm a celebrity get me out of here?" What more could she want? Honestly, some people are never satisfied! :lol: I think the fact that she did this show speaks volumes as to her need to be noticed, liked and valued. I don't know why she did it as she is arguably the greatest femal tennis player ever. Just not the most popular. I always wanted Chrissie to win and I think so did most people! :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 114 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.