Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...SHUT THE F-K UP ALREADY ABOUT PLAYERS SCREAMING! She's gone on and on through Serena's entire tiebreaker complaining about it. "I don't think players should be allowed to make noise while playing."

Well I don't think commentators should be able to make noise during play either, so we're even.

I have to say that I like Navratilova a lot less after this first week of commentating. She was a better commentator after her first retirement. Now she's SO negative.

SF

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Players make noise to gain an unfair advantage.

Maria was just plain ridiculous when Emilie Loit was coming back in the second set. She just got louder and louder.. it is purely to distract your opponent and gain an unfair advantage.

I agree with Navratilova.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
well, i dunno the screaming is just kinda insane, imo.
It's unnecessary. especially this new trend serena launched, which is making all kindof different noises; Original, but kinda goofy as well; but if it helps her :yeah:
I always think when watching this (I also do this in my matches, i must use gamesmanship like my fav ;) ). Whe I would face such an opponent i would make the most insane noises aswell. just for fun adn to give the crowd a laugh.

Let Martina comment; It's not a personal insult. It's a comment, she's a commentator :shrug:

·
The only girl in the world.
20,969 Posts
Complaining about somebody's grunting is pointless :tape:
But lol she could go and tell Nadal to shut up :spit:

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
She's usually sharp and insightful. Yes, negative but I think her standards are high, and I remember her berating her own self during many 1980s matches. It's the perfectionist trait in her, and it seems like the sort of stuff we'd get from Steffi and Serena if they were ever to commentate...

But I agree with you on her harping on the grunting. She loses her objectivity when she hears it. Like she can't help but sympathize with the silent player, complain even, almost to the umpire. It's almost as if she's reliving a few early 1990s matches against Seles, particularly one in 1992....

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
Well shes right :rolleyes: Sharapova, Serena and Venus go wayyyyy to far with it... that Wimbledon 05 semi was just ridiculous...

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let Martina comment; It's not a personal insult. It's a comment, she's a commentator :shrug:
Make a point and move on. She drolls on about it incessantly.

So far, I think Rubin is doing a lot better. I don't mind tangents from time to time, but to continue on and on and on and on and on through an entire tiebreaker is obnoxious.

SF

·
Registered
9,212 Posts
Complaining about somebody's grunting is pointless :tape:
But lol she could go and tell Nadal to shut up :spit:
Leave Nadal out of this he can do no wrong :angel: ;)

·
Registered
7,488 Posts

So far, I think Rubin is doing a lot better. I don't mind tangents from time to time, but to continue on and on and on and on and on through an entire tiebreaker is obnoxious.

SF
fair enough ;) i don't have to listen to her.

Wehave Els Callens (who used to play doubles with Rubin) who -imo- gives great tactical commentary. :yeah: i hear Rubin does really well too. You could have figured. Rubin always was a sensible and well spoken player herself.

·
Registered
9,212 Posts

SF
I agree, say your point and keep it moving, no one wants to hear the same thing over and over.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
LOL: Still going on about the noise in the Mauresmo-Dechy match. "Mauresmo hits as hard as Serena and we don't hear anything. And look at Federer. He's as quiet as a church mouse." Nice selective citation. Seems to have left out at least one half of the men's tour.

And another one: "I hate to be so negative..." :lol: She's aware of her tendencies....

Reactions: Reuchlin

·
Art & Futures
20,919 Posts
freaking milagros was screaming too. it made the match more exciting really.

·
Registered
12,154 Posts
Nothing wrong in saying it like it is! Martina does just that. I enjoy listening to her input during the game. Not many know the game better!

1 - 20 of 117 Posts