Tennis Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
In my new place!!
22,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Agassi Lost his match and the #1 ranking today :eek:

ROME -- Andre Agassi lost the No. 1 ranking Monday with a 0-6, 7-6 (3), 6-4 loss to unheralded David Ferrer of Spain in the first round of the Italian Open.

The match was Agassi's first since he became the oldest man to lead the rankings. Lleyton Hewitt will regain the top spot next week.

The 33-year-old Agassi cruised through the first set in just 24 minutes. But the 60th-ranked Ferrer started holding serve in the second set, and Agassi's command began to slip away.

In the final set, Ferrer forced Agassi to hit into the net on break point to go up 5-4. Agassi's four unforced errors allowed Ferrer to serve out the match.

Agassi came in with a 23-1 match record and four titles this year, including the Australian Open for his eighth career Grand Slam tournament championship.

A week ago, Agassi rallied to beat Andy Roddick in the final of the U.S. men's clay-court championships, giving him enough points to surpass Hewitt. Agassi hadn't been No. 1 since Sept. 10, 2000, when he was replaced by Pete Sampras.

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
I know I am too... dre, dre, dre it wasn't your day.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Eh, well! His stay lasts one more week. I'm disappointed but not p.o.'d. Maybe he'll get another crack at it during Wimby. Anyways, it was fun will it lasted.

He's won four titles, but has lost 1st round in the other 2 tournies. That's strange.

·
Premium Member
181,834 Posts
playing mickey mouse events in the US is not the same as a TMS on clay in Europe :)

not totally shocked but :bounce: :D

now we just need Andrea Gaudenzi to win tonight ;)

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I am not shocked, he is old isn't he......lol. I am actually shocked that he was eliminated from play so soon. Since Hewitt is not in the draw, maybe Roddick or Blake could step up play and make it to the final. Does anyone get the feeling that Hewitt is becoming the male Hingis or something. I feel that Andre's committment in the past months and his accomplishment actually makes him the de facto number one. I hope he gets it back cos he truly deserves it.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Thanks for posting this news. Losing in the first round is a bad break for Andre. But, I'm not surprised. The clay court season is very short. All players are vulnerable to upset. I wish him luck at the French.

On a side note, I'm glad the Houston folks changed the clay to better reflect European surfaces.

·
Premium Member
181,834 Posts
Blake lost too to Horseradish :mad:

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Well score one for the Litigious One! ;)

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Well I would not be the first person to put MATCH TANKING and ATP PLAYERS together would I :rolleyes:

·
63,499 Posts
I'm not suprised because I know David Ferrer is a good player...

·
Premium Member
181,834 Posts
fancy sending this down to here from GM ;) :eek:

·
In my new place!!
22,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
YUP the big old BUMPED me, hahahaha. Figured it would happen....

·
In my new place!!
22,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know! They really didnt play around did they???? Hahahahaha.........

·
Registered
34,273 Posts
never trust in a Spaniard when playing on clay;)
Congrats David the 2002 Spanish Master Champion

1 - 19 of 19 Posts