1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Paes Admitted to Hospital--Out of USOpen
Posted on 8/19/2003 at 5:24 PM

Leander Paes To Withdraw From U.S. Open For Medical Reasons

Leander Paes, 1996 Olympic Tennis Bronze Medal Winner and 2003 Wimbledon mixed doubles champion with Martina Navratilova, has been admitted to M. D. Anderson Cancer Center Orlando. Paes checked himself into the emergency room of a local hospital near his home, on Sunday, Aug. 17, after suffering from severe headaches for three days.

After an initial brain CT scan and MRI, Leander was told that he has a lesion in the left occipital region of the brain. This morning, doctors transferred him to M. D. Anderson Cancer Center Orlando where an expert medical team has been assembled. At this time, multiple tests are being conducted to determine the specific cause of this lesion. The results are expected within a few days, during which time Leander will remain hospitalized. A brain tumor has not been ruled out.

Leander and his family are trying to cope with this sudden setback and family members are en route to the United States. Leander's father, Dr. Vece Paes, prays that the tumor is not cancerous and states that all the good wishes and prayers by his fans are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I hope it is nothing serious and that he is well soon.

It has been great to see him help Martina Navratilova back to Grand Slam glory this year.

:)

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
Yep, he seems like a cool person. Best wishes to him..

·
Registered
14,409 Posts
:sad:

Get well soon Leander :kiss: I hope it's nothing too serious and that he's fine!

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Ouhg. I saw Leander play in Charleroi back in 2000. He's very entertaining to watch.
Hope he recovers soon.

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
Awww...I like Leander. :worship:

Best of luck!! Hope you have a speedy recovery! :D
We'll miss you out on the courts. :sad:

Reactions: Dava

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Poor Leander!! :sad: :sad: :sad:

Get well soon. :)

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
omg. I hope it will turn out to be nothing serious. Best wishes to him and his family.

·
Registered
17,738 Posts
:sad:

Leander

·
Banned
321 Posts
i loved watching him and martina win at wimbledon this year....he seems so genuinely warm and talented...all the best, leander!! :bounce:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.