Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But it's going to be hard, because other countries are getting better at figure skating. Just like they have at gymnastics and hockey. I don't want to see the great Russian figure skating dynasty fall apart the way Russian hockey has. That would be terrible. But because there is so little money to spend on sports in Russia, it will become harder for Russia to build the great hockey, figure skating and gymnastics dynasties that they have had over the years.

It's absolutely amazing that Russian/Soviet Pairs teams have won the past 10 Olympics. But their greatest challenge comes from the great Canadian team of Sale and Pelletier. Even if Elena and Anton don't win, the Russian men seem ready to start their own Olympic dynasty. Russian/Soviet men have won the last 4 Olympics, and Plushenko and Yagudin are the 2 favorites to win the men's gold medal this year.

I guess a Russian dynasty in men's figure skating is only natural after having dynasties in Ice Dance and Pairs. I wonder if the Russian women will ever catch up to the men and pairs. Only time will tell.

Considering the less than stellar training facilities in Russia, it's amazing that Russian figure skaters have done so well over the years under such difficult circumstances. Why is that? Responses from the Russian posters are needed.

I hope Russian tennis players can someday approach the great success of the Russian figure skaters. That would be something to see.

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
I'd love to see your Russian skaters continue to do so well - they are just wonderful to watch :)

Though in this case, just for tonight ;) I'd like to see Salle and Pelletier take the Gold - but as long as they give it their old I'm happy with whatever colour they bring home :)

grr...Don't even get me started on ice dancing...
Don't take this the wrong way - but I get the feeling that even if Borne and Kratz skated totally flawlessly they'd still get blocked off the podium AGAIN :fiery: So yes...perhaps the Russian dynasty there will continue.

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh Becca! You are ever the cynic! But I will admit that some Russian skaters have occasionally gotten the benefit of the doubt with the judges in Winter Olympics figure skating. I thought Elvis Stojko should have won gold one year, only to get silver. I think that was 1994 when Alexei Urmanov won the gold. And the Russian Ice Dance team was treated well by the judges in the 1998 Winter Olympics. I'm trying to be fair. I'm sure you appreciate that, Becca.

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
:eek: :eek: It's on tonight? doh!

I hope Canada wins Gold.. I am tired of the Russians winning the pairs.. lol They are so lovely to see skate but I am hoping that Canada can take Gold this time.:)

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
the cat - I was just venting :) sorry this may not have been the place.

Russia clearly has excellent skaters - they win the titles ... the judges alone don't do that for them!

I just found 1998 very frusterating :fiery:

No way should Borne and Kratz have no even won a medal - ridiculous.

But even though I want Michelle Kwan and the Candian pairs to win - I'll throw in a cheer for your Russians, k? :)

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
the american pair is just marvelous. I forgot their names (zemerman & a japanese name). I didn't finish the whole tourney 'coz I had to leave for work. Anyway, they're on the no. 1 spot when I left and Russian pair was at no. 2. Who won?????:angel:

·
Premium Member
181,846 Posts
after free so far

Anton/Elena lead
David/Janie 2nd

chinese on now

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,469 Posts
I'm truly shocked and heartbroken - Sale and Pelletier were absolutely robbed of gold, no way the Russians should have came away with the Olympic title after Sikharulidze made the error on the side by sides and the Canadians were flawless. Definetly a huge disappointment and I'm glad the crowd felt so too.

·
Banned
2,623 Posts
David/Jamie were just robbed!!
The russian guy slipped on one of his axels, and the canadians did nothing wrong... yet they were given 2nd. Canada robbed once again. *sigh*

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
thanks TBE. so David & Janie are the american pair (i'm getting poor memory...getting old eh!)??? would this mean the highest they could get is silver medal already????:rolleyes:

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,053 Posts
Despite of all what announcers said, it was clear that Canadians made several last minute adjustments, replacing, i.e. kaufman with semi-lift, clearly simplyifying their program to get it clean. Yet, technically they performed their elements better, but the superiority of Russians artistic-wise was also quite clear, hence a tense tiebreaker.

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
ys - you can say what you'd like.

Salle and Pelletier were better - PERIOD.

They were flawless out there, the Russians weren't.

Its nice to see you don't have to be the best to win though.

Ignoring the block judging is simply denial.

If I felt the Russian pair was better I would just flat out say so.

But I knew, the entire stadium knew it, Jamie and David knew it - the judges knew it too - but unfortunately they are too twisted to play it fair :fiery:

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,053 Posts
Becca, I am predjudiced, you are predjudiced. We both saw a technical mistake of Arthur. The standard price of that kind of mistake is 0.1-0.2 deduction. Unlike what Canadian did in last year WC, their program here was absolutely unimpressive artistically. I mean, what a designer made those ugly grey costumes. It looked like sabotage.

·
Registered
523 Posts
There is no way anyone can say the Russians desereved the gold after seeing the Canadians skate so amazingly well, PERIOD. God I'm so glad tennis isn't this nerve-racking! ;)

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,053 Posts
Becca,

I know you are very disappointed. Let's talk about that tomorrow. Really, I don't want to turn this thread into a battlefield. But if you think that more complex program performed with a mistake is always worse than less complex program performed flawlessly, you just don't know the rules.

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
this is non-excusable for the judges... it wasn't anybody's fault but theirs

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,469 Posts
Russian fans and Canadian fans can battle and debate all they way, but the fact is that the crowd knew exactly who they felt were the champions of that skate.

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
ys - we just dont agree.

however if Canada won gold, and I didn't feel they were the best, I'd flat out say so.

And I'm sure the threads will still be up tomorrow. I may be out of words on the matter than.

I knwo the rules quite well, by the way.

Sorry if you guys think I'm slighting your countrymen by saying Russia didn't deserve to win it - but I just don't think they did.

And this isn't the first time this has happened to Canada.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts