Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There are reports of wrong doing about the French judge. And possibly the Russian judge. I don't know if it can be proven or not. But something has to be done. Should the ISU eliminate the French and Russian judges? Nyet! That would drop Elena and Anton from a gold medal to a silver medal. I don't hink that's going to happen. But I think cancelling the French judges score and awarding dual gold medals is a distinct possibility. Especially if the ISU or IOC has proof that the French judge even considered protecting the Russian pair. So without the French judge's presentation score, the presentation score would be tied at 4, instead of 5-4 for the Russians. Then there would be dual gold medalists. I think the world will survive if there are dual gold medalists. When a nuclear bomb hits North America(I'm including our Canadian friends!), people won't care as much about the 2002 Winter Olympics figure skating scandal. Having dual gold medalists isn't a perfect solution. There are none. But I think this would be the fairest solution to a terrible situation that has divided countries, and increased the hate. And that's the worst thing that could have happened. And it's even happened on this message board.

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,053 Posts
You are right, Adrian.

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,053 Posts
Technically, you are wrong, Fresh, ( remember Loko-Tirol?), and for as long as Russians are on this side of the story, you can't rule out anything, but that is unlikely. Yet, ISU President said that overturning results will be "very difficult. But he didn't say "impossible".

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
3,676 Posts
yeah its done :mad:

one thing i would love to see is to maybe have a "skate-off" have them both re-do their routines with "propper judging" and then let the best team win ( i know this is out of the queation and will never happen but i can dream can't i ;) )

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,053 Posts
What IOC would be really afraid, is the creation of a precedent that the results are not final. It would be the end of competetive sports.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
To re-do their routine?! I assure you that in that case the performance of both teams will be very poor. They both have passed the peak of their form right after theirs free programs.

ys, I remember Loko - Tirol case :(, but I can`t believe the same may happen at the Olympics.

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys, you know I prefer the Russians. But I'm just trying to be fair. I thought Jamie and David were more deserving of the gold. Just like I thought Elena and Anton were more deserving of the gold medal at last years World Championships in Vancouver. But it went to Jamie and David.

fresh2flash, it can be undone. Especially if the French judge says that she was protecting the Russian pair in return for the Russian judge protecting the French Ice Dance pair. If it's "undone" by eliminating the French and Russian judges, the Elena and Anton would get silver. But if just the French judge is eliminated, the there would be dual gold medals. And the Russian Olympic streak of having won the last 11 Olympics would still continue. trust me, it can be "undone".

Udachi Alexei Yagudin! Win the gold tonight.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
3,676 Posts
yeah i know it will never happen lol

..but i also agree that the candadians were very deserving of the gold and i believe the ioc should award them the medals if they find out there was tampering by the french judge because its not fair to them at all they clearly deserved the medal and they were working all their lives at achieving one and to get cheated out of it like that is just pitiful..

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
cat, according to Olympic rules it can`t be undone. Evev if (I underline that word) it`s proven that the judges are corrupted.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
But of course I understand that the rules are not for everyone. "All persons are equal, but some persons are more equal than others" (c).

·
Banned
5,664 Posts
Well....I've watched both routines now a couple of times...Sale and Pelletier were perfect, but it was a simple and yes boring routine.

The Russians used a much harder routine, mistakes and all, it was IMHO, a better showing. I actually felt something when they skated.

I would of voted 1. Russia..2. Canada

Oh and i know stuff all about skating by the way, but if the Russians made me feel something..then isn't that the idea?

Thats just a repost of what I wrote in another thread :)

·
Enemy of Art
14,039 Posts
Dual gold medals is the only thing that will happen...Elena and Anton won't have their medal taken away and don't deserve to. They won.

BUT if there has been CHEATING, of course they deserve a gold medal.

This has less become about who skated better. It's now about whether JUDGES CHEATED. If they did, no matter who anyone thinks skated better, if the Canadians were purposely downgraded lower, they deserve to be upgraded to where they would be had all things been fairly done.

They need an arbitrator to come in, and look at the scoring. Then they would see that the Canadians clearly deserve a higher technical score across the board than the Russians. And then, no matter what you score the artistry, the Canadians will end up with a higher score. So...

Since you can never know, here, how the judges honestly feel, the only way to figure out whether there was a crime is if you know the judges cheated. If they didn't, nothing should change...then the judges honestly felt that Elena and Anton were better and they deserve the gold and Jamie and David deserve the silver. But if they did...

All I and everyone else who is livid about this situation want is the truth. As long as we find out what really happened, Jamie, David, myself, and most of North America won't care about the medal. We just want to know what happened, and we want the truth told to all who can hear it.

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,053 Posts
There will be no dual gold medal. Do it once, and next time the sportsmen who would think they were misjudged will go directly to civil court referring this very case as a precedent. Do it once, and you'll ruin the whole foundation forever.

·
Enemy of Art
14,039 Posts
LOL...wrong perspective, ys.

:picks up ys and spins him around:

Do it once because of admitted corruption and judges won't cheat anymore, and the integrity of the sport will be forever saved...

As a skating fan, you should want that more than anything. Or perhaps you aren't a skating fan? Maybe you're just a Russian skaters fan. :)

·
Enemy of Art
14,039 Posts
LOL...that should be "picks" :)

Anyway, it will almost surely not happen...but I said it had a 1% chance of happening yesterday. It's gone up to 15%...

I am drastically late for class. Bye :p

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Poe, you're out of luck. David likes women. Mainly Jamie Sale. And he will never forget about the gold medal.

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
[email protected] Poe! Or me! I thought Poe was being serious.

P.S. - Can you know who come back soon?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts