Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
11,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...espcially after what just happened.

I'd be surprised if they returned anytime soon. Expect them back no sooner than next year, I bet.

God Bless Yetunde's soul.

God, give the strength to Venus, Serena, Isha, Lyndrea, and Oracene to overcome this terrible loss.

God, Bless Yetunde's soul.

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Reactions: CanIGetAWhat

· In my new place!!
22,957 Posts
As they probably shoudln't. Take your time girls, our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

· Registered
47,657 Posts
Yep...to lose one´s oldest sister is a very sad happening....don´t think the sisters will play this year anymore.

· Registered
16,898 Posts
I agree with VF. We won't see Serena and Venus again this year. Nor should we. They must be so devastated with Yetunde being murdered. :sad:

Damn guns and the kooks who just have to have them! :fiery:

· Banned
6,358 Posts
I would not be suprised if they didn't play the Australian Open.

How hard it must be for them to take this loss....its one thing for it to be a grandmother at 90 but a SISTER at 31....its so tragic...

:sad:

· Banned
27,238 Posts
knowing how close they are.....maybe it will stretch to next year too.

i don't want to see them anywhere near a court until they're ready. and i'm sure everyone else feels the same :sad:

· Registered
5,684 Posts
Everybody grieves differently. Some find it better to go back to working, and others find it impossible to work. But, I think everyone can respect a decision not to return to the tour immediately, and if either of them decides to play, that also doesn't mean she isn't grieving. It's not really a time to judge either of them for their decisions right now.

· Registered
47,657 Posts
starr said:
Everybody grieves differently. Some find it better to go back to working, and others find it impossible to work. But, I think everyone can respect a decision not to return to the tour immediately, and if either of them decides to play, that also doesn't mean she isn't grieving. It's not really a time to judge either of them for their decisions right now.
Yeah....they can get even more hungrier and want to take their sorrow on the rest of the tour.

· Registered
26,637 Posts
starr said:
Well stated. Barry Bonds did return a few games after his father's death, but needed more time off. It's an individual thing depending on many factors. (I can't imagine had they been in a Slam draw @ the time, the conflicting pressures to "win one for sis" vs. putting tennis aside right then and there for the time being).

· Adrenaline junkie
24,895 Posts
It all depends on how much of inner strength they have and how much they love tennis, how much are they dedicated to tennis.

We had few examples in the past:

Seles was playing her best GS in years a couple of weeks after her father death.
Misha Youzhny had a tennis accomplishment of his career weeks after his father death.

· Registered
9,151 Posts
ys said:
It all depends on how much of inner strength they have and how much they love tennis, how much are they dedicated to tennis.

Seles was playing her best GS in years a couple of weeks after her father death.
Misha Youzhny had a tennis accomplishment of his career weeks after his father death.
But it should be noted that when a person dies after being ill for a while, the death is easier to bear because it was expected. Even if it is an elderly person who may not have been ill, such a death is hardly as shocking as this is.

· Adrenaline junkie
24,895 Posts
CC said:
But it should be noted that when a person dies after being ill for a while, the death is easier to bear because it was expected. Even it is an elderly person who may not have been ill, such a death is hardly as shocking as this is.
A death is a death. I do not think that there was anyone closer to Monica's life than her father. And Misha's father died of sudden heart attack.

· Registered
5,684 Posts
ys said:

OK. This makes me kind of mad. Grieving doesn't depend on "inner strength" or how much you love your work. I've returned to work very quickly after suffering losses of loved ones, but that had nothing to do with my "inner strength." I've known others who haven't felt they were able to return to work quickly, and they didn't lack some inner strength that I have. People just grieve differently. You can't say it is "good" or "bad" or "strong" or "weak."

And whoever said that it is different to lose a loved one by violent or sudden death is very correct.

· Registered
9,151 Posts
ys said:
A death is a death. I do not think that there was anyone closer to Monica's life than her father. And Misha's father died of sudden heart attack.

I am speaking directly to the shock factor.

When someone has been sick for months/years, and if based on medical expertise it has been determined that there isn't much that can be done and the person my eventually expire, one has a certain amount of time to "come to grips" before the person actually passes.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.