Tennis Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I've said it before on other threads and I'll say it again, the Covid situation should only come in to play if the events in 2020 don't get played.
Whether your Barty, who couldn't be bothered, Andreescu who is injured, it doesn't matter your reason, as both the 2020 US Open & 2020 French Open were played, the 2019 ranking points drop off, simple as that, same as for this years Palermo, Prague, Cincinnati, Istanbul, Rome, Strasbourg events, last years points drop off as well

For events like Wimbledon, the entire grasscourt season, the Chinese & Asian swing, Linz, Moscow, Luxembourg, events that were cancelled, that's fine, players keep their 2019 points, BECAUSE, there was no way of getting any points this year.

·
Registered
32,032 Posts
you know with this current system, why would a defending champion of 2019 tournaments play the 2020 tournament at all? Since it’s basically pointless and they keep the maximum points of that tournament already from their 2019 victory... No wonder Barty and Andreescu don’t give a second thought about not playing RG and USO this year
Or Teichmann who skipped defending her titles Palermo and Prague, yet kept points from both, and played Lexington (the same week as Prague) where she also gained semifinal points. I think at that point it wasn't clear that she could have kept the Palermo and Prague points if she had played those; either way it was a pretty smart move but doesn't seem fair.

·
Registered
32,032 Posts
Now on the men's side, Djokovic has announced that he is playing Vienna and skipping Paris to try to secure the year-end number one ranking, since he already has points from winning Paris last year, and thus nothing to gain, so he might as well chase some additional ones in Vienna and then rest before the YEC instead of playing Paris. Again exposing this system for the farce it is.

And as a Vika fan, it really is frustrating that she won't get the points opportunity of the YEC going into next year. Same for Swiatek and Kenin…

·
Registered
11,974 Posts
Or Teichmann who skipped defending her titles Palermo and Prague, yet kept points from both, and played Lexington (the same week as Prague) where she also gained semifinal points. I think at that point it wasn't clear that she could have kept the Palermo and Prague points if she had played those; either way it was a pretty smart move but doesn't seem fair.
$$$

How can you forget?

·
Registered
16,233 Posts
From which tournament does WTA want to begin drop off points? Brisbane 2021?
Technically Shenzhen/Brisbane/Auckland but the WTA has not confirmed it officially. Rumor has it points will not drop until March 2021

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
To be 100% honest I never looked at the rankings since March. It will be shitty for some, good for others. They had to do something about it. Is it the right way? Could've been done better? I have no clue and so I really don't care. For some players it will suck not getting seedings or even worse, MD direct access. I can feel their pain. Still... this is a shit year. And 2021 will be a manure one. Fingers crossed 2022 is not guano too.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
So if WTA finals aren’t held (which seems to be the case) the 2019 results won’t drop until WTA finals 2021? So that means US Open 2020 and French Open 2020 results will drop before WTA Finals 2019 results?
This is very flawed if that’s the case.
It is quite fucked up to be honest that players who have actually risked their health for tennis will be less rewarded than Ash Barty who has chickened out and still gets to keep all her ranking points.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
That ranking system is a mess, I'd guess it was seen as the least damaging one in the uncertain situation - so players who could face quarantine requirements would still be somewhat protected.

As it ended up, the actual tournaments weren't a messy failure at all, so the ranking system takes the flak.

I'f think it wouldn't be fair to penalize those who stayed out, now that it's been played. But we can still favour those who did play - especially for the RG case.

So let's change this:
Tour-level points added in 2020 will drop after the event is scheduled to be played again in 2021 or after 52 weeks, whichever is earlier later.

So Iga and Sofia would get to keep their RG points until mid October 2021.

·
Registered
46 Posts
That ranking system is a mess, I'd guess it was seen as the least damaging one in the uncertain situation - so players who could face quarantine requirements would still be somewhat protected.

As it ended up, the actual tournaments weren't a messy failure at all, so the ranking system takes the flak.

I'f think it wouldn't be fair to penalize those who stayed out, now that it's been played. But we can still favour those who did play - especially for the RG case.

So let's change this:
Tour-level points added in 2020 will drop after the event is scheduled to be played again in 2021 or after 52 weeks, whichever is earlier later.

So Iga and Sofia would get to keep their RG points until mid October 2021.
This is very well thought out, and as simple as should be.

You could consider adding this for top-20 players at year end 2019:

Players who opt out of playing a tournament held in 2020 lose points for the event from 2019, provided the player is legally able to travel to the event in the week leading up to the tournament.

Also, I maintain that tournaments who are legally allowed to use their license should lose it immediately without compensation if they choose not to host the event.

Why these additions? Well, it's imperative that the top players play and that there's a tour to play on. It's that simple. It's a horrible look for the sport that the alleged World Number One is chugging down beer after beer while girls - whose rankings are severely suppressed by the unfair ranking system in place - go out there to keep the very system alive that the top players get rich from.

Time to bring some fairness to this madness.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Also, I maintain that tournaments who are legally allowed to use their license should lose it immediately without compensation if they choose not to host the event.
But are there any of those? I don't think the organisers of any of those which have been cancelled have "chosen" to do so. Most (if not all) have been because of government policies/requirements in their respective countries, in which case it's hardly fair to penalise the organisers.

·
Registered
16,233 Posts
This is very well thought out, and as simple as should be.

You could consider adding this for top-20 players at year end 2019:

Players who opt out of playing a tournament held in 2020 lose points for the event from 2019, provided the player is legally able to travel to the event in the week leading up to the tournament.

to this madness.
Nope , they can’t change the rule after the fact .

·
Art & Futures
20,538 Posts
I think it's easier for us to say what should have been done in retrospect in large part because play actually happened this year. when they made the decision, there was a lot of uncertainty as to whether there would be any more play for the remainder of the year. so given that it was possible that there would be no play, they could have come up with a plan that had particular "ifs", but if they just didn't want to throw more uncertainty into the mix and just wanted to stick with a decision (which is a reasonable thing to do), the route they went with was acceptable.

·
Registered
16,233 Posts
I think it's easier for us to say what should have been done in retrospect in large part because play actually happened this year. when they made the decision, there was a lot of uncertainty as to whether there would be any more play for the remainder of the year. so given that it was possible that there would be no play, they could have come up with a plan that had particular "ifs", but if they just didn't want to throw more uncertainty into the mix and just wanted to stick with a decision (which is a reasonable thing to do), the route they went with was acceptable.
Look at players being withdrawn mid tournament or day before the start

61 - 77 of 77 Posts