Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
8,721 Posts
you know with this current system, why would a defending champion of 2019 tournaments play the 2020 tournament at all? Since it’s basically pointless and they keep the maximum points of that tournament already from their 2019 victory... No wonder Barty and Andreescu don’t give a second thought about not playing RG and USO this year
There is always the money. ;)

Reactions: Julian.

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
The 2019 points should be reduced by 50% from 1 Jan 2021 IMO. That would give incentive for players like Barty and Andreescu to come back. Another thing they could do to reward those who came back after lockdown is to start the race for 2021 from Palermo 2020 instead of from the start of 2021.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
So, to be clear (I am honestly not sure), Wimbledon 2019 points, earned over 2 years before the Olympics will count for Olympic qualification, but French Open 2020 points, earned less than 1 year before the Olympics won't count for qualification?

·
Premium Member
8,770 Posts
and how did you come to this conclusion exactly?

The most screwed are RG players, who will keep their points for half a year only and still they have to deal with the hacks that kept their RG 2019 points. Iga is #18 in race (with one more tournament to be played) and #33 in regular ranking :/
Yer, this RG is basically the least beneficial ranking boon ever. You keep the points for 8 months, and relatively it means less when there are so many points on rankings atm. That turnaround is even quicker than it sounds too given there's no real end of season this year. Normally if you win a slam it all compounds, you benefit from a higher seeding, and you are very likely to qualify for free huge YEC points. This RG you will have looming ranking collapse if you don't start 2021 well.

you know with this current system, why would a defending champion of 2019 tournaments play the 2020 tournament at all? Since it’s basically pointless and they keep the maximum points of that tournament already from their 2019 victory... No wonder Barty and Andreescu don’t give a second thought about not playing RG and USO this year
Because there was nothing to lose ranking wise. I assume it was done this way so the system didn't incentivise not playing, but Andreescu and Barty could have turned up for USO and RG, lost R1, and they'd still have the winners points on their ranking until next year. Konta and Vondrousova have been big beneficiaries of this, both of them have like 1300 points more than they would have if their 2020 results counted.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Tour-level points added in 2020 will drop after the event is scheduled to be played again in 2021 or after 52 weeks, whichever is earlier.
That's clear, what WTA has never stated is how they will manage the points coming from tournaments not at Tour level, that is all ITF tournaments and even 125K..
Only ATP has published the details for Challengers and ITF.
For sure they will do the same, but why not telling it?

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
So, to be clear (I am honestly not sure), Wimbledon 2019 points, earned over 2 years before the Olympics will count for Olympic qualification, but French Open 2020 points, earned less than 1 year before the Olympics won't count for qualification?
It's even worse, points from RG 2020 will stay in the ranking for only 8 months, not 12.
Hoping that next year will be better than this one, not sure really.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
In the case of Kenin...then the AO comes, and there goes her 2,000 pts for winning this year, and her ranking drops way down.
You're forgetting the very real possibility that she may retain her title. :geek: It's not like she won the 2020 AO as a 200-ranked qualifier - to everyone except the TF haters, she actually had to be one of the more favoured players going into that event.

·
Registered
278 Posts
This is so bad.

I think they should drop 2019 tournament points if that same tournament is held in 2020 and replace it with 2020 point for that tournament. And only keep 2019 point for tournaments not held in 2020 because of covid...
That seems like a too reasonable suggestion that it has no chance of being considered.

·
Registered
94 Posts
This is so bad.

I think they should drop 2019 tournament points if that same tournament is held in 2020 and replace it with 2020 point for that tournament. And only keep 2019 point for tournaments not held in 2020 because of covid...
I think you're missing the reason why they chose not to do that - there was no certainty that all players would be permitted to come to the tournaments - there's a combination of travel restrictions, plus the possibility that someone could test positive and be unable to compete, where they might have felt fine and continued to compete without the added scrutiny.

Similarly, I don't believe players should be penalised for a moral objection to the tour restarting. Some players may feel a moral obligation not to play (let's take Barty, for example. She lives in one of the few big countries that has handled this relatively well, and may feel she has a moral obligation (especially when under greater scrutiny than most players due to her ranking) not to risk bringing the virus back into Australia.

These players should not be penalised, and there cannot reasonably be one rule for one player that is different to others. Therefore the most reasonable approach was to hold all ranking points at this time

·
Registered
25,675 Posts
They should have just let the players who felt uncomfortable playing file for a protected ranking and let their points fall off naturally. It's not right that Barty gets to just hold on to all of these points for so long. Let her points fall for her choice not to play, but give her a protected ranking so that she can enter tournaments whenever she's ready to come back.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Right now there are 3 things happening.

1. Most ridiculous is players who play an event and don't drop points, like Konta and Vondrousova at RG.
2. Behind that are players who could play an event but choose not to because of corona related reasons (or injuries likes Andreescu) and keep their points, like Barty not playing RG. It is crazy there will be 2 people at once holding the 2000 points from USO/RG.
3. More understandable are players keeping points from events that will not be played due to corona. They have no option to defend those points and would drop in ranking without their own fault, like Bertens Madrid title.
#1 isn't as ridiculous as it seems when you consider if they dropped points for these players they'd be punished for choosing to play while those that choose not to keep all their points.

·
Registered
16,251 Posts
They should have just let the players who felt uncomfortable playing file for a protected ranking and let their points fall off naturally. It's not right that Barty gets to just hold on to all of these points for so long. Let her points fall for her choice not to play, but give her a protected ranking so that she can enter tournaments whenever she's ready to come back.
They could not do that , explain in the post above yours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,251 Posts
Has it even been confirmed yet if the YEC points drop or are we still speculating?
I e-mailed the WTA and they confirmed it

The WTA Finals points will remain on a player’s rankings as a 17th event per the rules until the week prior to WTA Finals in 2021.

Best,

·
Registered
16,251 Posts
They can do whatever they want. COVID has shown that they can just make the rules up as they go. Everything's flexible.
So one rule for Barty, one rule for Konta, one rule for Andreescu.... lol

·
Registered
25,675 Posts
So one rule for Barty, one rule for Konta, one rule for Andreescu.... lol

Where did I say that? Everyone's points should be falling off. I named Barty because she is the biggest benefactor of this system. Barty (and Kyrgios, and any other players skipping because of COVID concerns) should be able to file for a COVID protected ranking since they're making a personal choice not to compete.

And Andreescu would clearly have a protected ranking because of her injury troubles anyway, so that's a moot point.

I don't know where Konta comes into this conversation.

·
Premium Member
5,149 Posts
Nadal is happy, he was the one who wanted a 2 years based rankings :rolleyes:

21 - 40 of 77 Posts