Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,770 Posts
The system is terrible but yes this appears what is happening. The system is way too beneficial to those holding points from 2019.

They should have decayed 2019 points in some way. Barty being #1 while not having played in 10 months by time 2021 starts is silly, she even gets to hold a load of points from 2019 longer than those who have actually been playing in 2020, that's just stupid. Konta and Vondrousova's rankings would have plummeted in normal times, except they haven't because they are still holding their points from clay season 2019 despite losing R1 at RG in 2020. Sabalenka is another beneficiary as she will have her Wuhan and Zhuhai titles on her ranking until the end of next year.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
The results will drop anyway right? I thought the points drop after 52 weeks, no matter if the same event is played the next year or not.

·
Registered
114,319 Posts
The WTA did not handle this well. But they have to be in disarray. They make most of their money from China and those events are gone this year
Now the China gov can cancel them forever if they want. They havent developed a local player who is an Olympic contender, and that is their goal in sports, showcase at the Olympics
So WTA is scrambling now and the points situation is crazy if Barty doesnt play since January and stays #1 for 2 years

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
78,429 Posts
The results will drop anyway right? I thought the points drop after 52 weeks, no matter if the same event is played the next year or not.
Tour-level points added in 2020 will drop after the event is scheduled to be played again in 2021 or after 52 weeks, whichever is earlier.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Tour-level points added in 2020 will drop after the event is scheduled to be played again in 2021 or after 52 weeks, whichever is earlier.
So then the ranking points from WTA Finals 2019 should drop off at the end of this season, shouldn't they?

·
Registered
114,319 Posts
So Barty keeps Miami and Paris for 104 weeks . It really hurts Kvitova if she wins this majoor

Reactions: Hanan Ubis

·
Keep calm and be gay.
51,137 Posts
Correct me if im wrong so right now there is no way for a player’s point to decrease? it can only increase or stay the same? since they are doing the best of 2019 or 2020 result...

Reactions: leftbrian

·
Registered
8,331 Posts
In the case of Kenin, I think this really hurts her. She is currently #1 in the race, so in a normal year, would finish the year as the World #1. But she won't. Even for instance, if she won RG, the highest she could finish the year is #3, holding 2 of the 3 played Grand Slams.....despite the fact she would be heads and tails above everyone else in the Race. Then the AO comes, and there goes her 2,000 pts for winning this year, and her ranking drops way down. Weird weird times.... I know there is no perfect way to handle this.. benefits others, but completely unfair to some

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
78,429 Posts
Correct me if im wrong so right now there is no way for a player’s point to decrease? it can only increase or stay the same? since they are doing the best of 2019 or 2020 result...
Correct. Which leads to serious point saturation in the rankings for a while.

Before the break, 650 points was enough for top 100. Right now it's already 750 points.

·
Keep calm and be gay.
51,137 Posts
Correct. Which leads to serious point saturation in the rankings for a while.

Before the break, 650 points was enough for top 100. Right now it's already 750 points.
This is so bad.

I think they should drop 2019 tournament points if that same tournament is held in 2020 and replace it with 2020 point for that tournament. And only keep 2019 point for tournaments not held in 2020 because of covid...

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
So then the ranking points from WTA Finals 2019 should drop off at the end of this season, shouldn't they?
and how did you come to this conclusion exactly?

The most screwed are RG players, who will keep their points for half a year only and still they have to deal with the hacks that kept their RG 2019 points. Iga is #18 in race (with one more tournament to be played) and #33 in regular ranking :/

·
Keep calm and be gay.
51,137 Posts
you know with this current system, why would a defending champion of 2019 tournaments play the 2020 tournament at all? Since it’s basically pointless and they keep the maximum points of that tournament already from their 2019 victory... No wonder Barty and Andreescu don’t give a second thought about not playing RG and USO this year

·
Registered
114,319 Posts
Its terrible! It rewards Barty for not playing and really hurts the players who are doing the best
Kenin can win 2 majors this year and be ranked #3, and Kvitova, who has never been #1, might win her 3rd major and not get to number one just because of this crazy rule!
Awful!

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Take a number. Neither does the WTA.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
and how did you come to this conclusion exactly?

The most screwed are RG players, who will keep their points for half a year only and still they have to deal with the hacks that kept their RG 2019 points. Iga is #18 in race (with one more tournament to be played) and #33 in regular ranking :/
I have no idea. I guess I am confused? Was the 2019 YEC not held at the end of 2019? And why wouldn't those points drop off 52 weeks later?

I shouldn't have bothered in this thread, I don't care about the rankings anyway. Don't mind me.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I have no idea. I guess I am confused? Was the 2019 YEC not held at the end of 2019? And why wouldn't those points drop off 52 weeks later?

I shouldn't have bothered in this thread, I don't care about the rankings anyway. Don't mind me.
:)

the points are not being dropped in 2020 at all, and in 2021 only after the tournament comes back.

But it is, in fact, ridiculous that YEC 2019 stays on for 2 years :censored: It's a bonus tournament for the elites, if it's not held in 2020, they should just drop the points

·
Registered
8,721 Posts
Right now there are 3 things happening.

1. Most ridiculous is players who play an event and don't drop points, like Konta and Vondrousova at RG.
2. Behind that are players who could play an event but choose not to because of corona related reasons (or injuries likes Andreescu) and keep their points, like Barty not playing RG. It is crazy there will be 2 people at once holding the 2000 points from USO/RG.
3. More understandable are players keeping points from events that will not be played due to corona. They have no option to defend those points and would drop in ranking without their own fault, like Bertens Madrid title.

·
Keep calm and be gay.
51,137 Posts
Will Barty still stay at number 1 even if we drop her YEC 2019 points?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts