Tennis Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be there from Qualies up to the FINAL. Can anyone that has been there give me some idea as to what I can expect.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
35,548 Posts
Well I went in Mntreal since 5 years..I am disappointed that it is the men's tournament this year though...Women's tennis is so much better especailly on hard courts!!! Well I hope you see all your favorites! including Venus!!!! BTW I am ahppy she is your new fave...your number one is Daniela right? Well we got the same top two, mixed up lol..

Well good luck venus and Daniela in everything you try!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cdpoulin1 said:
Well I went in Mntreal since 5 years..I am disappointed that it is the men's tournament this year though...Women's tennis is so much better especailly on hard courts!!! Well I hope you see all your favorites! including Venus!!!! BTW I am ahppy she is your new fave...your number one is Daniela right? Well we got the same top two, mixed up lol..

Well good luck venus and Daniela in everything you try!!!
Ya, Daniela is my no.1
Jenn Cap #2
Justine#3
Kim #4
Venus #5

meaning I wish them all good luck! And hope the best lady wins.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
I think you will have a terrific time. Is it in Toronto this year? It's at the University, isn't it? Or have they got a new venue?

It's wonderful to go from the qualies on. Sometimes you can spot wonderful new talent there. And it is so great because hardly anyone watches the qualies and you are so close to the players.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
leszcd2 said:
I will be there from Qualies up to the FINAL. Can anyone that has been there give me some idea as to what I can expect.
Wow you're going the whole week :eek:

I'm going from Monday to Thursday..I just found out that my Mom and Dad bought me tickets as a present :D I love my mommy and daddy lol :p However I have no idea what to expect as this is the first time I'm going to Toronto for the tournie. Montreal was a blast though and I would expect Toronto to be similiar :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hawk said:
Wow you're going the whole week :eek:

I'm going from Monday to Thursday..I just found out that my Mom and Dad bought me tickets as a present :D I love my mommy and daddy lol :p However I have no idea what to expect as this is the first time I'm going to Toronto for the tournie. Montreal was a blast though and I would expect Toronto to be similiar :)
I am a stone's throw away from there.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I will be thier too but not watching the quilifers, I have ticket up until the semi-final I still hope I can get ticket for the final it's a bit pricie but I will see not being cheap, but still looking forward to rack-up a final ticket hoping to see both my girls Venus&Serena!!!

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
starr said:
I think you will have a terrific time. Is it in Toronto this year? It's at the University, isn't it? Or have they got a new venue?

It's wonderful to go from the qualies on. Sometimes you can spot wonderful new talent there. And it is so great because hardly anyone watches the qualies and you are so close to the players.
It's at York University for this summer. Next summer they plan to have the new venus open..which of course means hiked ticket prices ;)

I may or may not make it to a day in Toronto. I would like to go early in the week, but it really depends on my work schedule. I'll see what happens. I'm taking off 5 days to go to Montreal, so don't want to ask for any more.

But I saw the mens tournament there in 2002, and the ladies final in 1999. It's a small venue.. if you like any of the players who aren't "stars" you can catch them on the outer courts and get really lcose.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
this year will be the last time Toronto will use the York U venue as they are building a newer and much expensiver one...

This tennis centre is so ghettofab small you can easily maneuver your fatself around matches quickly and you are up close and personal with the players....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yep, It's at the tennis is centre at York University. Montreal was great last year! One of the things that I REALLY appreciated at York in 2001 was that there was actually plenty of parking on the campus. The tennis facilities are pretty spartan. The cheap seats were actually baseball bleachers. The new centre court won't be ready until 2004. But the seats are ready (thank God!). So the new seats are being put into the existing stadium (I'm being very generous in calling it a stadium) for this year's tournament, after which they will be taken out and put into the new stadium (still on the York campus) in time for the men's tournament next year. There is actually something cozy and intimate about the little place.

By the way, I wouldn't mind commuting to Toronto with anybody out there, or simply meeting up at the tennis centre to hang out between matches. I will be there every day, driving in from Niagara Falls. If you're between Niagara and Toronto and want a lift, let me know. I'm 31 and very easy to get along with. Email me at: [email protected]
Paul

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've been to the Toronto tournament for 4 years now (men and women's) and I've worked there too. The venue is small, but I like that. Buy a centre court ticket and you get access to all the courts as well. What they've started doing in the past 3 years unfortunately is turning one of the courts into a hall of fame-type deal, so that's one fewer court. That wouldn't be a big deal except that they now only play matches on 4 or 5 courts, meaning that there's no room for players to practice out in the public courts. My first year I watched Jana Novotna practice and it was amazing to be so close.

Centre court this year apparently has seat backs, which will be a lifesaver. They always have a lot of outside events going on like autograph booths (they get good players, not low ranked ones..I remember it being Hingis, Kournikova, Coetzer etc).

Also, I kind of don't want to advertise this because I love doing it so much, but if you get there on the second day of qualifying, mid-afternoon they let the public do the draw. And you can win some great prizes (I got a racquet once) and also meet a Canadian WTA player, and a regular player. These ones aren't usually very highly ranked, but they're never complete unknowns. I think I remember Chanda Rubin, and Ai Sugiyama doing it in the past.

·
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
20,453 Posts
wow look at all these Canadians getting together! :eek: didnt kno there was a lot of Canadians here.. but im glad you guys are here!!!!!!!! :wavey:

i'll DEFINITELY be going! hahaha... didnt get tickets yet but im sure i'll get my way in when the times comes ;)

first day is always free... so ... yay! hahaha but it's qualifying so the top players wont be there that much...

and YES the grounds of York is VERY small... you can go into the marquee where the presses are and where the players hang out... my friend, my brother and i were hanging out there once.. seeing what was there.. it was like practically empty.. and who comes walking by us? Jelena Dokic! haha it was awesome.. prettty damn cool :cool:

i cant wait to see Daniela and Kim play!... more Daniela tho :p

i volunteered there.. so we'll see if i work there or nott... jus waiting for that fone call..

please god make me work there! :worship:

Have Fun Guys... it's going to be a Blast... a day in toronto... what more?! lhahaha lol

·
SMUstang,
8,482 Posts
I may be coming up from TX for the qualies and first few days of MD play :D

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
35,548 Posts
Well Montreal's venu isn't that small...

Hey Leszcd2, if you are such a Dani fan, why don't you come to the cocktail party? Just go in Rest of the world, in the PLayers' Forums and it is right on top..hope to see ya' there!!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
It's pretty darn small. I didn't know you could get to the press areas with just a ticket...I thought you had to have the volunteer pass.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts