Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm completely speechless. It must be so hard for her, and her fans. :( Still she gave such a CLASSY SPEECH. I know only few players could have done that, the things she said places her in an very high place.
Jennifer played those match points with real tenacy, and I can't even think a way for Martina to get over this. I really hope she can, i know she will.
We all know Jennifer must be so happy, but still she did not want to celebrate in front of Martina. I read her lips when they were both holding the trophies and I think it went out something like this:
Jen: You deserve this. (Hingis says no with her head. Jennifer nods)
Marti: Yeah, you do. I mean...you played those points great.

At least this is what I got from watching the video.

Anyway, I will congratulate Jennifer, and hope that Martina and their fans can get through this.

Joaquin

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
Can anyone post their speeches?

·
Banned
692 Posts
I feel so sorry for her. I CANT GET OVER IT WHEN DOES THE TORAY PAN PACIFIC START

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Martina was soo unbelievably gracious, and mature and it's hard not to think that she will be back in the end.

But if Martina can say to herself I played well, and my nerves and my fitness got the better of me, I really think that Martina can pick herself up from this. I really do.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Thank you Joaco. That was so nice of you. :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Martina just said that it was a great game. She congratulated Jennifer and said that maybe she needed some Heineken to drink. Jennifer said in her speech she was drinking Heineken, just Martina didn't know it. She thanked her mum and Mario and Anthony who was her hitting partner and also her doctor back at home. She said that she had been off for two months with surgery and last week in Sydney and this week had exceeded her expectations and finally she said she would be back. That is about the just of it. :)

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
Thanks joaco.

·
Love the Legends of Tennis
4,464 Posts
I feel so sad for Martina... it was hearbreaking to watch her in the 3rd set suffering heat exhaustion etc after coming so close. And her speech was wonderful and very touching. I have really warmed to her in recent years. She is certainly one of the greatest thinkers and tacticians in the history of the game. I hope she continues her great form and has a good year. I also hope Monica has a great year too! Womens tennis is so interesting it's great!

·
Banned
5,664 Posts
The only differance between Martina and I through her speech, was she was almost Crying, I was!!

This one has hurt more then any other loss, how she responds, well we can only watch and see....

I love you Marti, don't ever forget that :)

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Goran - Even though it is unfortunate the way Hingis lost, it is a funny mental picture of Marti chugging down a couple of Heinies during the changeover. ;)

·
Registered
654 Posts
I really hope she can get through all this. she is one of the best tennis players out there and she showed that she can win a grand slam and I really hope that she is realizing this fact.

GO MARTINA - I still believe in you - this year Roland Garros is yours!

·
Team WTAworld, Destroyer of the Ring
5,336 Posts
Martina also said she wanted to take revenge for this match as soon as possible :)

It was a classy speech of a classy person :D

·
Registered
654 Posts
Noodles - you're absolutely right. Her speech showed that she is more mature now and that she is a real champion.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
10,772 Posts
I am a Jen fan, but I felt so sorry for Martina, she looked crushed. I just hope she can get over this lose without too many negative effects, we need players like martina at the top (well, after Jen :p)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts