Tennis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
3,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Pam did a great job commentating the Marti - Mon match.. she only mentioned the william sisters like three times ;) .. no but seriously she did a great job and she said so many good things about Marti tonight as well as monica of course.. she wasn't too technical on either player and she really stated how well marti's game is :) anyways i think she has redeemed herself...

I have always been a fan of Pam's but i was somewhat disappointed with her comments the other day but like the class act she is she made up for them and realized she was a bit harsh on marti the previous day and wasn't nowhere near as harsh during tonights match..

Kudos to Pam! :wavey:

·
Banned
7,804 Posts
I think she made an effort to change her stance on hingis.
She caught herself in the beginning of the match saying that hingis has not won a slam since 99 saying something like here i go again and then quickly changed the subject. No more focus on hingis' losing grand slam record lately the whole rest of the match

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
I noticed that too!
We love you Pam!

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Don't give a damn what people think of Pam Shriver. She is along with Tracy Austin one of the best commentators in the game.

:bounce:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Yeah !!PAM is one of the best commentators in the game!!

WHERE WERE YOU WHEN CHRIST EVERT PRAISED
MARTINA HINGIS DAYS & NIGHT ????

IN THE KINDERGARTEN...UH ???

STOP INSULTING PAM OK !!!!!

:(

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
No one said a thing about Chris Evert until you did. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
playa, I dislike both, Pam and Chris, I don't care if Pam praises Venus and Chris Martina, it's not who they praise but how, and how often.

Also, the fact that Chris Evert is wrong doesn't make Pam right.

Back to the subject, I find it very strange that Pam was so harsh on Martina before and suddenly, the next match after the complains she is all praises, it sound a little bit fake to me, she was just told by espn what she had to say.

Not a very strong personality IMO, that theory that Pam says things as they are and as they feel them is destroyed here.

What kind of commentator would change so drastically her opinion on a player based on ONE match?

give me a break.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I don't think she changed her opinion at all. the myth that all Pam does is bash Martina is just that A MYTH.
She said complimentary stuff about her the other day, contrary to popular belief.
Martina was playing so well against Monica, that really, there was nothing else Pam could do. Pam was impressed with her play and she said so.
Hingis wasn't as good against Adriana, imho.

·
Registered
600 Posts
moon, did you even listen to the Adriana match? Pam called both matches like they were, yes. She praised Martina's tennis in the Seles match, and knocked Martina's tennis in the Zanetti match -- as any good commentator does.

However, were the comments about her GS results, Venus Williams, and the French 99 really necessary? Not at all. So she DID cross the line, whether or not you want to believe it. She even admitted she did.

I forgive PAM, but I still don't forgive moronic posters who insist on praising anyone who dislikes Hingis.

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
Moon, if all what Pam Shriver can do is tell you if a player is playing well or bad in a certain match, then she is a very bad commentator.

What I expect of a commentator is to know the players, and not to judge them for one match. They should know the top players, their strenghts and weaknesess, and not change the whole assessment of a player based on a match.

Don't worry, I understand, Williams fans complain about McEnroe and I don't find his comments bad, but I am not a Williams fans, maybe the same happens to you ;)

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Well Fingon, I actually find JohnnyMac pretty amusing myself ;)
so my opinion about Pam does not stem from the fact that she likes Venus.

Pam usually talks about the positives and negatives of both players in EVERY match. Yes she went a little overboard during the Adriana match (I actually did watch it Rocksteady), and I said she did in another thread. She did the same thing last night. Martina wasn't as neg. last night during her match with Adriana and she played much better, and maybe the complaints about her comments the other night had something to do with it, but I think Martina's match last night had something to do with it also.

RockSteady--you seem to be under some impression that I have some insane hatred for Hingis. Well you're wrong. I've never been a fan of hers, that's no secret, but I do have respect for her as a player, and I feel that I'm able to look at the situation from an objective point of view...can you?

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have not watched the Martina/Monica semi yet, but I'm satisfied now that Pam is being more complementary and less negative about Hingis.

I know I was tough on Pam when I posted on the " Pam is annoying" thread after Martina's quarter final two days ago, but I really was taken by surprise by how mean spirited and personal some of her commentary was going. It's true that she made a couple of complementary remarks towards Martina and I failed to mention that in my original post. However, the majority of her comments were negative.

Other posters who are comparing Shriver to Evert are missing the point. It's one thing to gush over and favor player A all the time( which is bad enough),but another thing to make unnecessary digs at Player B, express bold assumptions about Player B's personality, and to focus only on past mistakes or bad acts from Player B's history that may not even be relevent to the current match or tournament . Has Evert been guilty of this? Should I dare to ask?:)

Anyway, despite my criticism of Pam, I do think she has a sense of humour, and I'm sure she's a nice lady; although, I did hear she was a hellcat on court in her competitive days. ;)

·
Registered
12,636 Posts
Pam is a joy to behold.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts