Tennis Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am getting tired of the bozos on this board who seem to suggest a player who is older should consider retirement just because they may not be having the best results as of late.

So what if Conchita Martinez isn't playing like a top-ten player right now; if she is enjoying the game why should she retire?

Maria Salerni and Aniko Kapros were once the worlds top-two junior players in the world. Well they are not even close to doing what they did in the juniors. Does that mean they should throw in the towel and move on to something else?

When a player decides to hang up her raquet, it's because she is ready to do so. In fact, I applaud the fact that many older players are getting better and able to compete in today's very tough tour.

So Conchita play as long as your heart is still in it.

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Yeah. What Jakeev said. It's not up to anyone else. And when Monica wins Roland Garros, I am not going to look kindly on the assholes who wanted her retired 3 years ago, and for about 2 years continuously.

·
Banned
5,664 Posts
There is a big difference between Monica and Arantxa/Conchita.

Monica is still at least a top 10 player, if not top 5....you cannot say the same about A/C.

But if you are referring to my thread Jakeev, I stand by what I said, they both need to look hard at themselves after the clay season and decide if they are staying because that is what they are used to doing, or to get out and spend more time on the things that are obviously destracting them now. Their form is beyond a joke, for the moment they are lovely bonus points for the 50-150 players...that is an embarrassment.

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Jakeev I agree I mean these ladies are still competitive women who love playing tennis. As long as they love what they are doing then hey more power to them.:)

p.s. Martina Hingis should retire from all SLAMS:D...he he just joking.:)

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Uh Adrian it's not all about you sheesh. I didn't say anyone in particular. If Aranxta and Conchita still have their heart into playing tennis, then it is not up to you suggest they otherwise.

When they are ready to retire it's because they have had enough.

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
I look at it like this: Would i wish for an elderly person to stop working at their job.. when they like what they are doing? Sure they may be a bit slower but if that job is what keeps them living and being happy then I say keep on keepin on.

I respect Martina Navratalova and Jordan in this retrospect.

·
Banned
19,528 Posts
Yes i am tired too, its being so annoying...

Arantxa & Conchita have said 1000 times they dont want to retire, even losing all 1st round they want to continue, its their wish so why do people want to retire them?

Arantxa & Conchita are hearing comments abour their retirament since 2 or 3 years ago and they still are playing and will continue doing.

·
Banned
5,664 Posts
Anabel don't take me wrong, I'm just wondering if the time has come for them to think about where they are going.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
players should retire when they ready, there is more as results sure I wanted my fav to retire after wimbledon 98 too in a moment I was hopeless(now I know it was due to pms ;) ) but see what we would have missed if she would have had the same thoughts:D

·
Registered
25,402 Posts
I think as long as they enjoy playing tennis, they should not retire, winning is good but may be they just enjoy playing :)

·
Diosa Contable
2,945 Posts
I am not really tired anymore. I got tired of them right after joining the other WTA board, back in 1999. Now I simply don't bother reading them ;) :D

Vamos Arantxa y Conchita! :D ;)

Win RG this year! ;) (or not! :D)

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
I don't want either Aranxta or Conchita to retire. The reason I started a thread about Aranxta was because I like her & want to know what's going on with her at the moment.

Personally, I think Aranxta might do well to retire from singes, and really focus on doubles. Because she's still more than capable of pulling off a doubles grand slam and that would be a great way to end her career. But it's up to her. Obviously. :)

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Well the good news is that the players ARE going to do what they want to do as far as choosing when to retire.

The bad news is that some of their fans will have to see them as they decline in performance. Ultimately, they will lose more matches and perhaps play less. And their faces will start showing signs of age. It's only natural to feel bad about it.

More good news. Our memories tend to be nostalgic. So after retirement, your fave will become a young champion again!

·
Plainclothes Division
6,350 Posts
I feel they should play as long as they want to, and as long as they are given the opportunity. (Hell, they'd have to throw me out.)

If their skills start to diminish, and they slide down the rankings, and have to play lower-tier events, so what? I like the idea of having these veterans around. And you know what? It could be a huge benefit to the tour. Think about who plays the lower tier tournaments. It's mostly younger players on the way up, or veterans trying to rebuild their ranking. If a few grizzled vets on the downside of their careers want to hang out with that crowd, fine. They could interract with the younger players, teach them a bit about the game's history, and basically help their growth. Give them pointers on how to succeed on tour, and build their games. (The lessons they've learned over the years.)

One of the things that always irked me was when an athlete who was hanging on at the end of a long career (such as Willie Mays), or trying what would prove to be an ill-fated comeback (Bjorn Borg), is struggling through their waning days, the media drones on about them "tarnishing their legacy". How? Last I checked, Mays still had 660 home runs, and still made that fantastic catch in the '54 World Series. Last I checked, Borg still had won 5 consecutive Wimbledons, and had still played that fantastic '80 final against McEnroe. Just because they played so poorly in their later days does not mean they were any less great in their glory.

So if the 30-somethings want to keep trucking along, let them. There's something comforting about seeing these familiar names in the draws. Plus, it's fun to see them take the court to play a youngster who might be nervous about the possibility of losing to an "old-timer".

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
you guys want an answer to this? The reason why people like adrian want the a/c to retire? The reason why people like adrian hate to see the martinas and Michael jordans come back?

It's because they live through these people. As if they almost consider their achievements their own. They don't want their heros to spoil the "glory" of their legacy. They want their records to remain intact, to remember them when they were at the top of their sport. Its all about selfishness. Ridiculous if you ask me.

If you are physically able to compete in the sport and you want to do it then people like adrian should respect that and mind their own business. 14 in the world is fantastic, can you adrian claim to be 14 in the world in your profession? I wouldn't know but I think not. Even if vicario was 50 or 100 whatever, if she still wants to comepete its her life let her live it.

It astounds me how fans and commentators think they own atheletes. How they think they're puppets on strings with no ideas, wants and agendas of their own.

This is why i wish more athletes were outspoken on issues that concerned them like it was during the fifties, sixties, and seventies. Nowadays, we have a few who don't mind speaking up like martina, charles barkley, serena, just to name a few but the rest are too concerned over their precious endorsement contracts to bother having an opinon on anything.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well the good news is that the players ARE going to do what they want to do as far as choosing when to retire.

The bad news is that some of their fans will have to see them as they decline in performance. Ultimately, they will lose more matches and perhaps play less. And their faces will start showing signs of age. It's only natural to feel bad about it.

More good news. Our memories tend to be nostalgic. So after retirement, your fave will become a young champion again!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts