Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The attention given to Dasha.

I like Maria, and the hype around her doesn't bother me at all. It's justified, she is pretty and has just won Wimbledon.

The preasure can be bad and she is young and hope she can handle it, but at least she is 17 and has been prepared for this.

But Dasha? give me a break, she is 9 leave the girl alone!!!

I definitely think there should be rules regarding girls of that age, and that's why I always thought the AER was barking at the wrong tree. I know the WTA has nothing to do with Dasha yet, but this is what harms the young players, not the # of tournaments they play.

I think it was bad with 14 years old Sesil, but at least she is playing the pro tour and she got the attention by herself. But Dasha? I doubt the poor girl knows what's going on. She happens to have a famous cousin and the media is drooling at the perspective of a new Sharapova in 5 or 6 years. We don't even know if she will be a pro, or how good she will be.

I am not for censorship but I think children that age should be protected, and the media should have some self-control, she is only a kid :fiery:

·
Registered
390 Posts
If ever proof were needed that an unsavoury and slightly disturbing side of "women's" tennis was edging ever closer to a Jonbenet Ramsay-style pageant this is it.

On the one hand I don't see how you can stop it, cause that particular bird has already flown. However what you would hope is that the ITF/WTA could reach some kind of "understanding" with wire agencies about the amount of coverage given to, say, under 12's. But it would then be a case of the WTA appearing to be biting the hand that feeds it.

Back in the day this would be a really nice, sweet and positive LOCAL story.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Let's just hope she lives up to all the hype...like her one slam wonder cousin.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Regardless of how old she is, no one should be hyped just because they have a famous relative. Its even worse when they are only 9 and havent done anything on the tour yet :rolleyes:

·
Banned
959 Posts
Ballbuster said:
Let's just hope she lives up to all the hype...like her one slam wonder cousin.
lol, she is only 17 and you are already doubting her?
I think she is great, Serena and Venus have been the icons for tennis long enough.
And now that the media has shifted some of its attention onto Dasha, I think it's great:).
I want to see her becoming the icon of tennis, especially WTA, an unpopular sport:)>

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CJK said:
lol, she is only 17 and you are already doubting her?
I think she is great, Serena and Venus have been the icons for tennis long enough.
And now that the media has shifted some of its attention onto Dasha, I think it's great:).
I want to see her becoming the icon of tennis, especially WTA, an unpopular sport:)>
Dasha an icon? give me a fucking break, she is not even a player. She can't even play for at least 5 years, she might become high jumper, or an astronaut, it's nearly as ridiculous as predicting that Andre and Steffi's kids will be # 1 one day. :rolleyes:

BTW, Steffi and Andre have done a great job keeping the media off limits, it shows it can be done.

·
Banned
959 Posts
So I guess winning a slam at 17 means nothing to you.:rolleyes:
I'm pretty sure she is a well known person, just a few more slams then she will become the Michelle Kwan of tennis:).

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CJK said:
I'm pretty sure she is a well known person, just a few more slams then she will become the Michelle Kwan of tennis:).
I am talking about Dasha not Masha

·
Banned
959 Posts
so u mean her cousin, then that's fine with me, forget her:).

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,117 Posts
Can't see much of an attention given to Dasha anywhere around.:shrug: She was mentioned in a couple of article as a relative of W champion, who also plays tennis. Big deal.

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ys said:
Can't see much of an attention given to Dasha anywhere around.:shrug: She was mentioned in a couple of article as a relative of W champion, who also plays tennis. Big deal.
how many results of 9 years old players playing their first tournament in Russia you get?

how many photos?

I didn't think so.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Fingon said:
how many results of 9 years old players playing their first tournament in Russia you get?

how many photos?

I didn't think so.
you must be pissed because patty got that booty beat by amy today.

Get over it already, its not like the tot got a chance anyway.

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,117 Posts
Fingon said:

how many photos?

I didn't think so.
Where are photos? :shrug: Haven't seen more than 2 or 3. I've seen more of Poppy Yura than of Dasha Sharapova. And Dasha actually plays tennis. Most of tennis related public knew about Anna K. or Venus Williams when they were 10 or 11. And they haven't had genes of a champion.

·
Registered
34,218 Posts
Ballbuster said:
you must be pissed because patty got that booty beat by amy today.

Get over it already, its not like the tot got a chance anyway.
Get Real, RB. Fingon's Schnyder Site probably gets a small fraction of the Hits His Justine and Sharky Sites do. :lol:

·
Banned
7,293 Posts
CJK said:
Kwan?
No-one is interested in women's golf ....

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
JollyRoger said:
Get Real, RB. Fingon's Schnyder Site probably gets a small fraction of the Hits His Justine and Sharky Sites do. :lol:
I could care less, you'd never see me on those sites. Like what for? There is no identification for me.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts