Tennis Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... but I can't believe what Jon Wertheim writes about her in his mailbag:

'As for Seles, her gazillion admirers will roast me as usual, but let's be honest: Her better days are long past. Sure, with little to defend she might improve her ranking by a notch or two. But the gulf that separates her from the Williamses/Lindsay Davenport/Capriati/Kim Clijsters axis is a wide one. Seles will rack up points (and, of course, cash) winning Tier IIIs. But beating the Henrieta Nagyovas of the world only gets you so far. Insofar as her being a bona fide contender at a major, I don't see that happening.'

I always get disconnected, so I will post this and comment it after that.

· Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's the link: <a href="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/tennis/news/2001/11/26/mailbag/" target="_blank">http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/tennis/news/2001/11/26/mailbag/</a>

Kim so much better than Monica ? I don't remember that Kim was out for more than 4 months.<br />If we just look at the results after her injury, she has lost only against 4 players: Serena, Venus, Lindsay and Daja (OK, I think you can blame Monica for playing too much to go fresh into the US Open). But before the US Open, she was definitely at least the 4th best player. She lost to Venus once and twice to Lindsay, with Serena she was tied 1-1. So you can even put her on 3 with Serena. She was definitely better than Jennifer (had better results and beat her in straight sets) and Martina (beat her twice). Kim won a tournament against Lindsay, but her other results weren't as good. So where's that gulf ???<br />And it sounds like Monica is only greedy and always playing tier III's with no top players. I don't think that is true. she likes hard-courts and doesn't like to play in Germany, so why not ? And she won those events and didn't leave early with the appearance money.<br />I don't think that she will win another slam either, but that's just my opinion. I don't think it's impossible. But I will make a bold prediction: Next year, Monica will be ranked higher than Jennifer. I really think that. Jennifer will go down, and Monica will move up. And Monica can definitely compete with Kim on any day.<br />Maybe she will surprise all of us in Australia.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.