Tennis Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

· Registered
47,657 Posts
Filip! said:
I don't understand this. But I'm not going to discuss anymore, you'll have to change your opinion one day.
What´s there not to understand?! Martina Hingis won like 10 tournaments in´00, but everybody said that Venus had a great season because of her two slams and olympic gold.

· Registered
877 Posts
SerenaJWilliams said:
filip: at the end of the day the players want the slams! whats so hard to understand?!?!?!
I don't deny that! But some people have to understand and to accept that the WTA tour also has a lot of other events! They also count! A slam is not everything!

I don't think it's necessairy to keep on discussing. Nobody wants to change their thoughts. But let's stop talking about it. These discussions won't bring anybody further.

· Registered
11,079 Posts
Filip! said:
I would be a good idea for you to see also positive things in other players. Serena is not god. Also other players can be very good. Just try to understand this.
Where did I say Serena was god??

Where did I say she was not a good player??

Her year is nothing spectacular compared to Serena's. Nobody will remember Kim for her 2003 year. No one will remember that she has reached at least the semifinals of every every tournament.

People will remember that Serena won 2 Slams this year. People will remember Serena being very dominant.

Unfortunately for Kim, if she does become #1 without a slam, people will remember her for that. No matter how much she deserved it because of her good year, people will remember that she was #1 without a slam.

It's a shame, actually. Pray that Kim wins the US Open, because she will go down in history as one of the most undeserving of the #1 spot. That's just how it will go.

#1 is supposed to signify that you are the greatest player for an entire year. But, how is it that the greatest player can't even win the greatest tournaments?? That's just how it goes. She will be remembered most for not winning a slam during her #1 reign, than for her being #1 itself.

· Registered
47,657 Posts
The other tournaments sure do matter, otherwise Kim wouldn´t even be having a chance to become no.1. But let´s face it the slams are the most prestigious and the ones you´ll be remembered for. That´s the way it is. Unless Kim wins a slam it can´t be said she has had a great season.....just a good one!

· Registered
520 Posts
:sad: poor Kim people will hate her for being an undeserving number one something that isn't even her fault. Say what you want she had a fantastic season and I still like her and IMO she deserves to be in the top 5 whatever that Boris Becker said. Who else should we put into that top 5 beside Serena Venus and Justine (ok slam winners), Lindsay and Jenn maybe (both slam winners still Kim could beat Jenn at Stanford and Lindsay too), Monica is also a slam winner (with all respect for Monica cos she is a great player who I like a lot but at the moment she isn't anymore what she used to be) or Mary Pierce (also a slam winner but ranked low. I agree mainly due injuries but still). Kim deserves to be in that top.

Perhaps she should better end her career, the disgrace she wil have to suffer for being an undeserving number one. Go my Kimmie retire then and be happy outside the tennis courts only then I think will some people respect your achievements and the fact that you also brought excitement to the womans tour and achieved some great things besides being number one undeserved.

· Registered
47,657 Posts
Lien said:
:sad: poor Kim people will hate her for being an undeserving number one something that isn't even her fault. Say what you want she had a fantastic season and I still like her and IMO she deserves to be in the top 5 whatever that Boris Becker said. Who else should we put into that top 5 beside Serena Venus and Justine (ok slam winners), Lindsay and Jenn maybe (both slam winners still Kim could beat Jenn at Stanford and Lindsay too), Monica is also a slam winner (with all respect for Monica cos she is a great player who I like a lot but at the moment she isn't anymore what she used to be) or Mary Pierce (also a slam winner but ranked low. I agree mainly due injuries but still). Kim deserves to be in that top.

Perhaps she should better end her career, the disgrace she wil have to suffer for being an undeserving number one. Go my Kimmie retire then and be happy outside the tennis courts only then I think will some people respect your achievements and the fact that you also brought excitement to the womans tour and achieved some great things besides being number one undeserved.
Vive le sarcasm!

· Registered
773 Posts
Nicely said, Lien.

Do any of you who attack Martina, Jen, Lindsay, and now Kim, etc. see how tiresome your constant attacks are? The tour ranking cannot be based on whatever Venus and Serena decide they want to do. "Just tell us, and we'll base it all on you." The system was there before them and it will be there afterward.

Venus went home and stayed there when number #1 was hers to take, and the attacks began. I don't know about Serena, but I believed before and I believe now, that Venus played that for effect.

Venus' and Serena's schedules don't support the tour. They don't get to take home the big checks without the tour. There wouldn't be enough checks to have a tour.

The constant belittlement of all the other players is terrible. I don't believe you all who do that even like tennis. You like Venus and Serena. Good. But, do you have to attack every other player to do that? A lot of people like them without attacking everyone else.

· Registered
47,657 Posts
Bella said:
Nicely said, Lien.

Do any of you who attack Martina, Jen, Lindsay, and now Kim, etc. see how tiresome your constant attacks are? The tour ranking cannot be based on whatever Venus and Serena decide they want to do. "Just tell us, and we'll base it all on you." The system was there before them and it will be there afterward.

Venus went home and stayed there when number #1 was hers to take, and the attacks began. I don't know about Serena, but I believed before and I believe now, that Venus played that for effect.

Venus' and Serena's schedules don't support the tour. They don't get to take home the big checks without the tour. There wouldn't be enough checks to have a tour.

The constant belittlement of all the other players is terrible. I don't believe you all who do that even like tennis. You like Venus and Serena. Good. But, do you have to attack every other player to do that? A lot of people like them without attacking everyone else.
whoowww! Easy, easy there. No one´s attacking Kim... only odd that she´s no.1 but hasn´t beaten Serena this year and still has no slam.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.