Tennis Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
7,880 Posts
lol, Becker thinks you should have at most, four players ranked in the top five?

btw, SerenaSlam, do you have to make your topics in the format of a post-doc thesis? and yeah, WE HEARD YOU THE FIRST TIME: You don't think Kim deserves to be number 1. :tape:

· Registered
7,880 Posts
bandabou said:
She obviously deserves it, but can´t be considered the BEST player. I think that´s what people don´t understand. Not always is the best player ranked no.1
actually pretty much everyone is in agreement that Serena is a better player than Kim right now. The arguments start because people feel Kim is undeserving of the no.1 position without a slam win. No one is saying that Kim would be the favourite in a match against Serena.

SerenaSlam has posted (in a most long winded fashion), the same point about 3 million times which has already bean discussed to death in about 3 million other threads. That's what I was trying to get at. Why you or SerenaSlam feel that people aren't getting the point is beyond me.

· Registered
7,880 Posts
Hendouble said:
Another article from a former great struggling to cope with the way the game has changed. I like Becker, but his comments in this article are the standard tripe we're getting used to from journalists who whine about the state of modern tennis. I don't know what gives him the right to say that he knows players' psychology inside-out and can tell that they don't care about the Slams, because I think that's completely wrong. Of course they care about the Slams, but it's a tough field out there and surprise surprise, we don't always see the same players coming through at every Slam. To suggest that they simply follow the money is insulting and ignorant to say the least.

And maybe, just maybe, modern players have realised that there's an entire tour out there with a whole year's worth of tennis, and that the Grand Slams are only a part of that - the most important part, for sure, but they're not the be-all and end-all. As well as the customary swipe at a "nobody", in this case Nalbandian, we also get Becker bemoaning the lack of mind games on court. I don't watch tennis to see players getting angry at each other, I watch it to see them play tennis. This is just another ex-player pining for the nostalgic days when he was on tour.

Tennis can do without Becker's "mental warfare", thank you very much - the very idea of players having to use gamesmanship as a regular tactic to try and win is pathetic. I do agree that the schedule needs to be changed and the Grand Slams more reasonably spaced, but there's nothing wrong with the attitude of the players. It's an idiotic fallacy that gets trumpeted out far too often by people who should know better.
well said Hendouble. It seems to be another case of 'tennis was best in my time' syndrome. First McEnroe, now Becker...which BBC commentator/ex-player is next?

· Registered
7,880 Posts
bandabou said:
When did I say she didn´t deserve it?! Kimmie girl is good, real good and very deserving of the no.1 ranking. But who´s the best player?
bandabou, I don't understand you....
you're making the same point over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over :eek:

you're making SerenaSlam look like the epitome of variety and creativity right now

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.