Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

Registered
No, it's max one MM every 6 months, as in they can't play more than two every season so you know, they don't try to vulture them.

It's pretty unfortunate what's happening with Svitolina so far this season, I hope it will pass because the tour needs consistent players that keep their top 10 spot for years and years. Right now for the last 3+ years that's only been Halep, Pliskova and her, and losing her would mean we'd only have two players who've been there since at least 2017.
So what? I don't get why TF is so intent on defending and upholding mediocrity. What do Pliskova/Svitolina continuing to take up space in the Top 10 have to do with the reality they can't win Slams, or PMs. I mean, in an era where it's literally like an Oprah Winfrey gif: "you get a Slam, and you get a Slam, and YOU get a Slam!" The fact they haven't even looked close kind of reflects on their averageness, which people are all too willing to dismiss when they vulture another Premier title nobody cares about.

Speaking of Svitolina, for someone who prides herself on consistency, she made ONE final last year, at the YEC. And lost it 馃ぃ Those two Slam SFs where she got absolutely steamrolled by elite opposition is really making people forget how bad she was last year, for the most part. Still, winning 6 games against Hibino is a new low, I'm screaming. Watch her win Dubai now, though.

Premium Member
Very worrying result for Svitolina. She should overcome an in form Hibino. Didn't see the match but it looks like her mindset is fragile these days, when an opponent challenges her, she bugs. Seriously needs to step up.

Premium Member
She鈥檚 got a Wimbledon and US semifinal and a YEC final in the bank.

Haters who expect her to drop from the top 10 should explore new endeavors.

Registered
Is there any upcoming player that isn't an IG thot?

Registered
Perhaps Dubai was already on her mind - still, nobody wants to see any top player put in a fair weather performance just to pass time & pick up appearance fees.

Great win for Hibino. She often thrives in the Asian MM events.

Registered
Looks like anyone beats Svity these days. Too bad she has so many points from the second half of the season, she doesnt deserve the top10 ranking.
You deserve what you get and get what you deserve. Who is more deserving of a top10 than her? Geez. And I don't really care for her like that.

Registered
Perhaps Dubai was already on her mind - still, nobody wants to see any top player put in a fair weather performance just to pass time & pick up appearance fees.

Great win for Hibino. She often thrives in the Asian MM events.
Any tournament director paying attention saw that she can't draw any crowd whatsoever. Throwing money at her is a bad investment right now.

Registered
WTA has to end that nonsense forcing top players to play MM , or they way the rankings are done . All they (the players) seem to care about is the $$$ they get from events to participate , the 280 points if they win it probably won't count in their ranking anyway so why bother .Results in flops and withdrawals and "not care enough to try my best" every single time ...

congrats to Hibino on taking that chance
Who is forcing them to play MMs? I can鈥檛 recall Pliskova playing any apart from Prague and that random Doubles appearance in Seoul last year. Simona also only played Shenzhen in recent years.
This was pretty much Elina鈥榮 choice. Don鈥檛 know where the WTA is to blame for this. I would blame solely the players, if they can鈥檛 be professional enough to give their best once they choose to enter an event.

Registered
Svitolina's idea for this year was to "strengthen her legs" and hire the former ATP player as an assistant coach (to give her more input) and take her to the next level. Her legs look OK - but maybe not such a good idea to bring in the new assistant coach? Could be a case of information overload. What has he added to her game? Nothing from what I've seen thus far...

Registered
She was in great condition in 2016/2017 then she went on that weird diet/ had personal issues and lost like 10kg mostly from muscles, appearing so thin and thank god she had that resurgence in YEC to rebuild some confidence in 2018. Her game though has stopped developing long time ago. One thing for sure if she never got that mobility back that once won her tournaments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
The smurf Hibino defeated the giant Svitolina. Smurf vs giant(?) just look at the handshake.
From looking at the very poor WTA highlights, IMO Hibino won with smart and accurate hitting.
The smurf Hibino won on 25 of her first serves, while the giant Svit only won on 17 first serves.
Hibino was a smurf both in size and in rankings, 84 to 4.
Svit probably played this small event to get her confidence back.....failure.

Registered
Svitolina is half the player on fast surfaces, but this is still a terrible loss for her. Can't quite remember the last time she's had a worse loss... Wimbledon 2018 again Tatjana Maria?

21 - 40 of 47 Posts