Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fires, floods, locusts, viruses... the world is a bit gloom and doom right now. It got me thinking, how would you cope in the apocalypse?

For me...in a zombie/alien situation I think I'd kick ass and be more like Michonne and less like Lori from The Walking Dead (I stopped watching after Season 4 or 5) or more like Ripley or Hicks than Hudson (before he got it together) (Aliens reference - if you haven't watched it, ffs watch it now!). I have enough idgaf attitude to take out my anger on the undead and frankly, relieved that I no longer have to work in a pointless desk job.

In an environmental disaster situation, like The Day After Tomorrow (where the world freezes)... where we'd have to rely on survival instincts, braving the elements and potentially having to dig a hole in the ground (I do not go camping) etc... I'd be that idiot who gets killed in the opening sequence. Or even worse, the one that sticks around whining the whole time before she gets final destination-ed in the most gloriously gory way.

In a virus situation, I'd be patient zero going about my business, unknowingly infecting people that breaches the safe zone of contact.

So... zombie/aliens - all good
Tsunamis, asteroids, deep freeze, viruses - not so much.

Another more pertinent question: What would you do to survive?
I'd hoard toilet paper cos that's what we do in Australia

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
All you millennials will be dead within a week in a survival situation.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I would only hope all my loving ones die painlessly.:) Gotta ask ourselves if it's worth to survive a real blow - not just regular pandemics or wars.

·
Administrator
65,069 Posts
Another more pertinent question: What would you do to survive?
I'd hoard toilet paper cos that's what we do in Australia
Well you say that but last night I went to my local supermarket (Brighton in England) and they just had 9 packs of 4 toilet rolls left there among a whole aisle :)

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
33,281 Posts
Hopefully I would have my headphones on, listening to some happy music at the moment of obliteration, completely oblivious to the impending finality rapidly heading towards me.

·
Premium Member
38,330 Posts
I would survive and would want to tell anyone there is something after Death, with alas nobody around to talk to.

·
Registered
8,009 Posts
Cons: I have no fighting or survival skills (making fire, hunting, building shelter etc.) and no strong social network. I don't have access to guns. I live in a city environment where problems will hit hardest and competition for survival will be most fierce.

Pros: I'm fit and athletic. I have no problem being alone and would be up for it mentally. I don't care about luxury and I'm not a big eater. I live in a fertile and water-rich area. I have watched all episodes of The Walking Dead. :p

·
Registered
12,105 Posts
I wouldn't, would die, the sooner the better...

From my point of view, when you're losing everything, surviving for surviving's sake is not worthy...

Of course it's possible that survival instinct would take over me, and against myself would do everything to stay alive, but I'd prefer not to.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
There's a movie called Shaun of the dead of a zombie apocalypse in Britain. It is very good and interesting, because unlike Yankee films on the topic, not everyone's got a gun.

My pros: I can get on decently without complaining me thinks. I don't need to eat a lot, remember when I visited Switzerland I was always skipping meals because that country was so expensive. I'm decent at finding solutions to problems, so this may also help and my sleep cycle is very flexible. Besides that, my healthy is generally good, I'm hardly ever sick and I don't take any chronical remedies or anti depressants. So this also works in my favour. And last, I'm very rational and great at taking decisions and predicting stuff.

Cons: I'm not very good at running though, I'm not exactly fast or resistant, despite being a great swimmer. Don't have a lot of experience with camping, boy scouts etc.

The whole zombie apocalypse reminds me of so many memes

2EdzWnmfZeTbcgjHDZKqJnylcJmPJ_ua1TUE1SbYzfA

·
Registered
13,466 Posts
Well you say that but last night I went to my local supermarket (Brighton in England) and they just had 9 packs of 4 toilet rolls left there among a whole aisle :)
I bought a 16 pack of loo rolls earlier in the week. Just in case all those idiots start panic buying. :p

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
When such scenario is mentioned I always think of Jyn Erso and Cassian's final moments in Rogue One - although not exactly an apocalyptic episode but the sentiments remains.

Or the elderly couple in bed in Titanic.. :cry:
Or if I'm alone (which is the most likely scenario) Kirsten Dunst's character in Melancholia..

What is with US/UK/AU/(+ oh and HK as well!) too stocking up on toilet paper?
Our local stores had to limit sales of sacks of rice and instant noodles last month [probably it didn't help the pandemonium struck during the Chinese New Year period] but the crazy grabbing and buying of said items and canned food items have since subsided.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There's a movie called Shaun of the dead of a zombie apocalypse in Britain. It is very good and interesting, because unlike Yankee films on the topic, not everyone's got a gun.

My pros: I can get on decently without complaining me thinks. I don't need to eat a lot, remember when I visited Switzerland I was always skipping meals because that country was so expensive. I'm decent at finding solutions to problems, so this may also help and my sleep cycle is very flexible. Besides that, my healthy is generally good, I'm hardly ever sick and I don't take any chronical remedies or anti depressants. So this also works in my favour. And last, I'm very rational and great at taking decisions and predicting stuff.

Cons: I'm not very good at running though, I'm not exactly fast or resistant, despite being a great swimmer. Don't have a lot of experience with camping, boy scouts etc.

The whole zombie apocalypse reminds me of so many memes

2EdzWnmfZeTbcgjHDZKqJnylcJmPJ_ua1TUE1SbYzfA

Shaun of the Dead is one of my faves. Love that Brit humour. Have you seen the rest of the Cornetto trilogy (Hot Fuzz, and The World's End)?

That's okay if you're not a good runner. You just need to find a tribe with someone who's slow. You only need to be faster than that person ?

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When such scenario is mentioned I always think of Jyn Erso and Cassian's final moments in Rogue One - although not exactly an apocalyptic episode but the sentiments remains.

Or the elderly couple in bed in Titanic.. :cry:
Or if I'm alone (which is the most likely scenario) Kirsten Dunst's character in Melancholia..

What is with US/UK/AU/(+ oh and HK as well!) too stocking up on toilet paper?
Our local stores had to limit sales of sacks of rice and instant noodles last month [probably it didn't help the pandemonium struck during the Chinese New Year period] but the crazy grabbing and buying of said items and canned food items have since subsided.
I'm starting to think it's the TP marketing people finding a way to take advantage of people's fears. Now the pasta and rice marketers are onto it too ?

·
Registered
13,466 Posts
The government keeps on telling people that if they don't have access to soap and water, such as when out of the home or workplace, to use hand sanitiser. You can't buy hand santisier in any of the shops here for love nor money though. People have even been stealing it from hospitals, including from a children's cancer ward. As I've only got a couple of partly used bottles left I found some on e-bay at a half decent price and bought it. It hasn't arrived though so I'm wondering if it said on the outside of the package what it was and it's been stolen en route.

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
^^ never liked using hand sanitisers :eek:, rather use wet-wipes. can be used to wipe down handphones, door handles, train poles/handles etc..

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I am a good Christian so I dont need to worry.

Buuuut if I did I would move to the bush (australia)
Hopefully by then I would have learnt enough money to design myself a sustainable passive haus shelter which is both BAL FZ resistant and has an airlock room below ground level that I can go to when shit hits the fan.

I did a hit of hunting in hungary and when I was a teenager my dad would take my foraging in the bush (australia) teaching me about bush tucker.

I'm not really good at farming or growing food but I grew up poor and know how to stretch a tin of beans a a cup of rice to last three meals too.

At the moment my main concern is toilet paper. But if everyone is dead I'm just going to go shit in the bush somewhere and wash myself off. Will probably have ruined all.my pants and underwear within the first week and when I realise society hasn't actually collapsed it will be like the time I took too much 2cb and was swimming in some random persons pool naked thinking I was at a hotel in Las vegas.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Let's say the proverbial has well and truly hit the fan. You all have to work together to survive. Which WTA player would you want in your camp?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts