Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let Serena choose the surface against an ATP qualifyings player ranked in the 150-250 range. Would she lose 6-0 6-0? 6-2 6-2? Or would she have a real chance at winning a set?

This is just a theoretical question since Serena (or Venus) would never be the ones to make a high-profile challenge to the men, they are too controversy-shy for that. I only bring it up because of the situation in golf right now. The men golfers seem to be really put off and threatened by Sorenstam. If the fuss being kicked up in golf is any indication, a Battle of the Sexes in tennis could potentially draw huge attention.

·
NeverWoz
27,565 Posts
#150-200? Engh, I think she might lose. #300-500, definately a shot. We havent seen any of these guys play, so noone knows how good they are. I don't see why Serena couldn't push one, or beat one.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
i think it would be more apropriate, should it happen, for it to be against John McEnroe or something, not a current player ranked about 1000

It depends on the person and it depends on how they play

if they play well, maybe they can sneak it out 7-6 in the third or something really close, otherwise a straight set loss. Nothing tottally embarrasing, but it would be routine

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Serena would lose 6-0, 5-0 (ret.) in 22 minutes.

Monica or Lindsay might win the match though, their game is better suited for men's tennis.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
she would lose to an NCAA player. get real people.

·
Banned
1,735 Posts
selesrules said:
Serena would lose 6-0, 5-0 (ret.) in 22 minutes.

Monica or Lindsay might win the match though, their game is better suited for men's tennis.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
:D

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
"This is just a theoretical question since Serena (or Venus) would never be the ones to make a high-profile challenge to the men, they are too controversy-shy for that"

LOL Are you a new tennis fan?? Cuz a few years ago, Venus + Serena DID challenge a male player, and karsten Braasch kicked Venus and Serena's ass - I think he let them have one game, and he was ranked around 300!!

thats why they wont challenge - cuz they already have and been whipped.

In answer to your question, every single guy in the Top 200 would definitely beat any woman player easily.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
tennischick said:
she would lose to an NCAA player. get real people.
actually wertheim said she would be able to beat a NCAA player

also, this is all so speculative, you have to know how the player plays to begin with

Just because a player is ranked 200, doesnt mean their crap

Take Mirjana Lucic, shes ranked around there, and then Anne Keothevong (?) shes ranked around there

Any player ranked higher would kill Anne, but Mirjana might have a chance if she played to her potential....ok bad example

but what I'm saying is, a rank is just a number, it doesnt neccesarily mean ability, style of play, etc.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Selesrules - Your kidding right??? You cant be serious thinking Monica would fare any better than Serena???

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I believe Serena would loose badly to any top 500, mainly because men hiy the ball with MUCH more effect than women. And they're faster, so Serena's shot would not hurt them so much. PLAUS, Serena is not used to being played with so much topspin, so it would be VEHERY hard for her to adapt..

Joaco

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe you guys already know this, but Patty Schnyder played an exhibition against ATP #1085 Thomas Mayr (AUT) in December and she beat him 7-6, 7-5. ATP #1085 is as good or better than the top men NCAA players, and this is Patty we're talking about (WTA #20), not the #1 Serena, so I think Serena would probably beat the NCAA guys.

I wouldn't take those Williams results against Braasch in '99 (he beat Venus 6-1 and Serena 6-2) too seriously. The Williams weren't nearly as good then as now, and there was nothing on the line, it was just joking around, it wasn't even an exhibition with people watching. They were just practice sets.

Anyway the Williams aren't going to make that kind of high-profile challenge because they just don't like that kind of controversy. I don't really blame them either, but sooner or later some woman is going to come along that will do it.

·
Premium Member
8,187 Posts
you can't. tennis isn't like golf. in golf, you aren't playing against the others, ur playing against a number that everyone's trying to beat. in tennis, ur actually playing the other person, power vs power, speed vs, speed, etc. men are just stronger than women and the women won't be able to hang with the men. maybe Serena'll have a shot at someone on the ATP tour ranked really low, but she can't beat anyone in probablky the top 300/400

Reactions: Gowza

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
mmcdonald said:
actually wertheim said she would be able to beat a NCAA player...
when last i checked Jon was entitled to his opinion as i am to mine.

and they would lose to Jamaica's or Trinidad's top Davis Cup players IMO.

then again i don't have a need for women to beat men in order to feel validated.

Serena is, IMO, the best female tennis player on the planet. she doesn't need to beat any man to ratify that.

and y'all know that Vogus got inspired by our discussion in the other thread...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
selesrules said:
Is that a fact? Is it because they both look manly and shit? I think so. :p
Monica can barely run any more & Lindsay is to slow. You crack me up with your dreaming dude.

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
Maybe you guys already know this, but Patty Schnyder played an exhibition against ATP #1085 Thomas Mayr (AUT) in December and she beat him 7-6, 7-5. ATP #1085 is as good or better than the top men NCAA players
Are you sure that is so? Because a good number of NCAA players have gone on to bigger and better things than #1085. I'm fairly certain that say, Alex Kim, got much higher than that. As did James Blake...among others. I'm pretty sure they played NCAA, but if I'm confusing my American Tennis systems around, do tell me...

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Rebecca said:
Are you sure that is so? Because a good number of NCAA players have gone on to bigger and better things than #1085. I'm fairly certain that say, Alex Kim, got much higher than that. As did James Blake...among others. I'm pretty sure they played NCAA, but if I'm confusing my American Tennis systems around, do tell me...
i completely agree. and no you are not confusing your tennis systems. there are many NCAA players who are better on certain surfaces than guys ranked over 1000.

and i am happy for Patty that she beat someone ranked 1085. what surface did she beat him on? :confused:

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Patty beat Mayr on a fast indoor carpet, which is even more surprising. Apparently the ATP player was unable to break Patty's serve, which her competitors on the WTA do to her all the time!

I should have said, "the majority of NCAA men players" because obviously there are a few of them that are a cut above the rest. But even these exceptions have to improve a lot after they get out of the confined college tennis scene to make it on the ATP tour.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
No she will lose that for sure, maybe she has a little change to win agianst somebody ousite the #700, but that's still a very little chance. :D

1 - 20 of 65 Posts