Tennis Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i remember my first day of training. it was dreadful. balls were flying everywhere. the balls were hitting everywhere and everyone. thought it would be easy but not at all. took almost a month to finally control the ball. and another month to be able to rally decently.

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
Mine was hillarious. I was in a class with 3 other teenage girls and we never stopped laughing the whole first year! We did hit a few balls out of the court but it just made us laugh more. Mind you, none of us are what you would call good players now so it seems that is not the right approach at all!

·
Don't mess with Texas!
5,728 Posts
It came pretty natural to play tennis. I watched my mom and dad play since I was little, I didn't actually play until I was 10 after my mother passed away. I could hit pretty well, meaning get it over the next and serve. lol Didn't play again till they started a tennis team in high school. It was little starting all over again. Geez I think I lost 10 balls that day, they really flew everywhere. lol People were shocked that I could hit a ball out that far when I was just trying to serve. lol But the next day was much better and was actually playing against the coach. I am 19 now I still play every day before work/school, wish I would actually join some kind of club to play in, the people at the college don't like playing me. It is not like I am "that" good lol, heck no. I just get a little competitive and will get upset if I mess up at all.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
i started october last year and started playing comp at the start of feburary this year a month before my 18th birthday. i just played with friends a couple of times during october then didn't play until january when i got some coaching. it came pretty natural to me. my mother was an a grade player and my great grand father was a state level player and my grand parents have always played. but surprisingly i didn't grow up with tennis. my parents stopped playing before i was born, i was always a cricketer and a soccer player but because of injuries and eye problems i can't play cricket anymore and i wasn't to good at soccer so i decided to give tennis a go and here i am.

my first training was easy i did was hit a few groundies, do some volleys and show the coach my 190 km/h serve which now goes in a whole lot more. we worked on technique the first time and i got that done pat straight away so we went onto harder things.

now my coach is a guy who is one of the best players in the north shore and i can pretty much rally with him. but i'm not quite at his level yet. but i can beat uni level players now. one of my friend represents his uni in tennis and i can beat him without putting in to much effort.

·
Premium Member
11,130 Posts
sheesh you must be good Gowza :)!

ive had two coaches and didnt like either of them.

the first one gave hardly any advice, and the second one gave me too much advice and was too stubborn.

coaches can only do so much for you IMO....i corrected alot of things by my own initiative and its worked better for me, such as changing to a western-style fh for some control/consistency which neither of them mentioned!

oh yeah, and i cant rememebr my 1st lesson it was years ago :confused:

·
psychotic banana
3,022 Posts
Ok, the first time I even ever held a tennis racket was many years ago. I found a racket in the garage and I held it...just for kicks. I wasn't interested in tennis at all, so it was whatever.

Then a few years later in high school, tennis was required in P.E. (gym class). It was a 3 week unit and we had to get the basics of it. I played a bit and liked it, but after the unit ended I never thought twice about playing it again. Then came my slow growth in interest in tennis. The sudden explosion in interest came last year at around the time of Wimbledon. As such, I got into a 'group' tennis class. The class involved me (19 yr. old guy) and a 6 yr. old girl (or looked about that age). :eek: So it was a lil strange of course.

First day the balls were generally out of control and going in various places until I was able to get it within the court and on the other side of the net. I was able to rally some weak shots back within a couple days. For awhile I was just able to contorl enough to get tha ball to the other side. I could only control the general direction of the ball but I couldn't (and didn't think about admittingly) guide the ball to more precise locations. I couldn't really go crosscourt or down the line on command. I just hit the ball and made sure that it would land in the court (it actually consistently went long for quite awhile but that's beside the point :eek:)...if it went down the middle then cool, if it went down the line then goodie, if it went cross court or at a sharper angle then yay i guess.

It really wasn't much of tennis lessons or coaching that I got. It was just to keep myself playing tennis and exposed to it a bit each day. I now play maybe once every few weeks. I have more control of the ball and am probably playing the best I can without getting proper coaching or devoting time to practicing.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
It was cool. I got my first racket on the day of my first lesson. My first time at tennis lessons, I was able to hit the ball on the first go. I knew from then on that I'd found something I was going to be truly good at. I was so good (not to brag or anything) that I progressed through the certificate levels within two years. I started when I was 7 and finished my certificates and medallions when I was 9. I then went on to squad training. I was the youngest kid in the squad and I didn't like it much because I was bullied for being little and the youngest. I stopped going to squads because of that but kept doing lessons for awhile. Then I started playing tennis at school and had my first real training session with a real coach (as opposed to an instructor). We did warm-up drills, hitting drills, etc. We actually worked on groundstrokes for the first time, unlike anything I'd done before. We did fitness work and we played competitive sets to decide our playing orders. In high school, things really started to take off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts