Tennis Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never saw it, but what kind of drama did it have????

·
Banned
1,006 Posts
I haven't seen the bump-accident as I have only seen the 3rd set.<br />It was one of the most exciting sets I have ever seen. A very close match.

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,436 Posts
Yes, definetly one of the greatest most entertaining matches I've ever seen. Great tennis from both players, Venus had such a dream run through the draw to the semis which was amazing considering I remember her losing in Toronto to a then 115 ranked Nathalie Dechy, and then suddenly she was playing like a top 10 player. Third set was great tennis the whole way through, both playing great, and Spirlea got to matchpoint, I remember her hitting a great shot up the line and coming to net, at which point I thought she had one it...And out of nowhere Venus and her long legs tracked the ball down, and she not only got to it, but cracked a backhand winner up the line right past Spirlea! I think even Irina thought she had won it, and after that Venus seemed to pull away in the very end to notch the upset, along with of course the infamous bump which saw the feuding in the press conferences. Definetly one of the most memorable moments I can remember.

·
Registered
12,093 Posts
Is true that Irina called Venus "bitch"?

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
The bump was so funny, I couldnt believe my eyes watching it...

Basically, it was on a change of ends, and as both players were walking to their chairs they bumped into each other...

Venus was making a bee-line for the chair, and I actually blame Spirlea for the incident as she saw venus, but Venus could not see her...

As they got closer to each other, Spirlea kept walking, like she expected Venus to make way for her, because she was the higher ranked player etc...

and then in the press conference, Spirlea said "She thinks she's THE fucking Venus WIlliams", with the emphasis on THE...this is of course b4 Venus had won much, but everyone could tell she was gonna be a big star....

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I actually HAD the match on tape, but recently taped over it. I ,too, blame Spirlea because, not <br />only did she see Venus, but she also tried to trip her. Venus was walking on Spirlea's LEFT side. During the bump, Spirlea crossed her RIGHT leg, in an attempt to tangle Venus' feet so that she would fall. However, my girl has great balance and body control, so she stumbled a bit, but she didn't fall.

Oh yeah, it was an incredible match!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts