Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
3. Make sure you have a good grip. Continental is the way to go but takes time to adjust to. Still, there is a clear difference between any continental grip and one where that allows you to get a very natural wrist snap. Just mess around with your racquet a bit to find what feels right. And make sure it doesn't strain your wrist, because that is an easy problem to have as well.

In terms of mechanics it's hard to say, but try to find what feels natural for you.
This is GREAT advice. For soo long I couldn't hit a nice first serve. I had been using a continental grip and all my serves landed in the middle of the box, soft and spinny. Think Errani's second serve. Then one day, I decided to move my grip to between continental and eastern and from the very first serve it felt absolutely right. It is SO much more natural for me. Now I use the continental if I ever need any more spin, the added confidence let me really rip into the ball and get a decent kick serve. Play around *a little* for sure.

Does anyone have advice on second serves though??? My first serve is very good and my second is decent when it works, but I go through patches where I just get the yips and can't get a second serve in the court. Even when it works, it's sort of just a softer version of my first serve that I try to get deep in the box rather than a shot I can actually depend on :eek:.[
Maybe try what I did? Instead of changing grip by going down half a bezel, go up half a bezel?

·
Trainwreck
58,136 Posts
How tall is everyone? For me, the serve is all about the reach. - I'm 1.88M (serving advantage) and for me the difference between a serve that will hit the net and a serve that will go over the net is reaching my hand over from my shoulder to the highest I can reach and really giving that ball a good thwack. For others, is the problem the serve going out or hitting the net?
I'm 1.68 so my reach sucks, but nonetheless relative to club level :eek:h:, my serve when on can sometimes be pretty quick (though that's mostly just in practice, usually in matches I get tight and my serve sucks :(. Need to work on that). I'm not sure where my power comes from actually. I consider my serve a bit like Henin's (not as good of course!). A surprisingly sneakily quick one despite my less-than-ideal physical attributes for serving :eek:h:.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I Used to play as a teenager...

decided to get back in to this as a hobby...

Just realising i was ALOT Fitter back then and my serve was awesome!...

I Have no upper arm stength it seems...
may need a littl working out to be done

Gym time??

·
Registered
35,934 Posts
If you are not completely aware of your own mechanics, set up a vidcam on a tripod along the baseline and tape yourself serving. Make sure you can see everything, from your feet to the point of contact.

The video approach is also helpful for all other strokes.

·
Registered
16,061 Posts
So I did some practice down at my club today on my serve, and it seems to have improved! :D I was getting my first serve in and I was hitting with pace and into the corners of the service box. :cheer: I was getting a second serve in too, even if it was a puffball.

I know that when I play again however, I'm going to flop. :hysteric:

·
Registered
22,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
So I did some practice down at my club today on my serve, and it seems to have improved! :D I was getting my first serve in and I was hitting with pace and into the corners of the service box. :cheer: I was getting a second serve in too, even if it was a puffball.

I know that when I play again however, I'm going to flop. :hysteric:
:cheer:

That's great to hear! :D

I'm sure you'll be just fine. ;)

I'll be playing a doubles match tomorrow, haven't played in about 2 weeks, my serve will be CRAP. :hysteric:

·
Registered
16,061 Posts
:cheer:

That's great to hear! :D

I'm sure you'll be just fine, ;)

I'll be playing a doubles match tomorrow, haven't played in about 2 weeks, my serve will be CRAP. :hysteric:
Thanks, I'm playing again on Monday, so fingers crossed. :D

I have singles and doubles Monday, a bit nervous. :sobbing:

I'm sure you'll do great, I'll be rooting for you! :cheer:

·
Registered
22,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Thanks, I'm playing again on Monday, so fingers crossed. :D

I have singles and doubles Monday, a bit nervous. :sobbing:

I'm sure you'll do great, I'll be rooting for you! :cheer:
Good luck then! :cheer: :bounce:

Thank God it's not an important match and the opponent is pretty clubby. :eek:h:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well I switched to the continental grip on my serve as I heard it's the proper way (I'd been serving with an Eastern grip all my time, and man this grip is hard to get comfortable with.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
1. The toss. Tell yourself to catch bad tosses, and force yourself to. Often I just want to hit the serve so I'll go for it on a shitty toss, but if you have the right toss you will hit a good serve if your motion is sound.
2. Legs and stomach. I have a powerful first serve because I bend my knees and then jump up and thrust my whole body forward, trying to emphasize abs area instead of just arm, so I'm putting most of my weight behind it.
3. Make sure you have a good grip. Continental is the way to go but takes time to adjust to. Still, there is a clear difference between any continental grip and one where that allows you to get a very natural wrist snap. Just mess around with your racquet a bit to find what feels right. And make sure it doesn't strain your wrist, because that is an easy problem to have as well.

In terms of mechanics it's hard to say, but try to find what feels natural for you.

Does anyone have advice on second serves though??? My first serve is very good and my second is decent when it works, but I go through patches where I just get the yips and can't get a second serve in the court. Even when it works, it's sort of just a softer version of my first serve that I try to get deep in the box rather than a shot I can actually depend on :eek:.
This is a bit late, but the best second serves always have a lot of spin but also have quite a lot of pace. This is because the faster you spin the ball in, the more spin it generates, which gets you a fast, yet 'safe/accurate' serve. This is why kick serves and top spin serves always work well for second serves. A good second serve would be Stosur when she's firing and like-minded players.

·
Registered
16,061 Posts
Good luck then! :cheer: :bounce:

Thank God it's not an important match and the opponent is pretty clubby. :eek:h:
The weather was terrible, but I won my singles match 6-4 and the doubles 7-5. :cheer:

Served 3 aces in singles and 6 in doubles, 4 double faults in both matches. :eek:h: Serve has improved. :D

·
Registered
16,061 Posts
Thanks, I'm so tired now though. :hysteric: The doubles was really intense, we had so many close games and my partner made a load of errors off the ground today. :hug:

·
Trainwreck
58,136 Posts
Did a serve practice today, it was so windy :sobbing: but I did OK. Looking forward to Saturday, club season getting underway :cheer:. If I can serve like I do in practice I'll be fine. It's when the matches start/pressure's on that my serve turns to awful :(.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
If I can serve like I do in practice I'll be fine. It's when the matches start/pressure's on that my serve turns to awful :(.
Agreed 200% :eek:h:

Basically I suck but I love experimentation.
So I tried some unique WTAish deliveries for fun yesterday thinking of different ways of cocking up a racket in a stop motion, right before acceleration.

1. Henin 2. Ka. Pliskova ; Holding a racket vertical to the ground, an ordinary way and what I do as well.
3. Bartoli 4. Siniakova ; Stretching out behind. I think their swing itself is normal but only a few trials were enough to make my shoulder uncomfortable. I presume you could have a bit of leverage effect if you're used to this way.
5. Barthel ; The racket's heading forward. A shortened, somewhat linear swing path as a result. Very complicated and difficult way I should say.
6. No picture. Nonstop swings like Schnyder, Goerges. Just another ordinary one. Probably the easiest way to let the racket do the job from the start.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Weight transfer is SO important. Took me years to realize just how critical it is. Look at Stosur or some of the great serve models like Raonic. Right in the trophy position, the weight transfer is already being prepared, as the body is cued for launch forward and upwards. Let the body supply the power, and have your arm focused on moving correctly. "Arming in" the serve is a great way to have neither power nor consistency.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I need to learn how to keep my throwing arm up until close to contact with the ball. Don't think I do that now. Also jump needs to improve

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tennis ankle strengthening exercises are an often-overlooked part of training. When you understand how to strengthen your ankles, though, you'll quickly notice increased mobility and a faster serve!

I've created a video on how you can improve on this. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I watch carefully great players serves in slow motion and try to mimic them, how they bend the knees, how they toss, how they prep before contact the ball.... on and on... It's improved my serve quite a bit.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts