Tennis Forum banner

How Should The Rankings Be Calculated Once Pro Tennis Resumes ???

• Total voters
201 - 220 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
So Barty can choose not to play FO and WTF and keep those points until next at the same time? Good luck for the rest of the field catching up to her.

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
So Barty can choose not to play FO and WTF and keep those points until next at the same time? Good luck for the rest of the field catching up to her.
The WTA is still debating WTF points but ATP ‘s WTF points will be removed in November.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Personally, I think if any event takes place in 2020, ranking points should drop off from 2019, so if both the U.S. Open &
the French Open takes place, the points from last year go, even if the event is held at a different time of the year.
It's like if you were injured or just didn't play, the event goes on, your points drop off.( Now if neither Tournament doesn't take place, that's a different story.)

I fully understand that some players don't want to play and it's their choice, but once an event is played, that's that.

Kenin will lose her 2020 Aust Open points next year, but all players will be able to keep their best points result from either the 2019 or 2020 French Open & U.S. Open for 2019 or 2020, which will help them in 2021.

The W.T.A. have made their decision, but i don't agree with it totally.

I have no issues with Wimbledon, all the grass court events, and all other events including the Chinese swing which are cancelled, you don't lose your points from those 2019 Tournaments, because you can't get any this year if they don't take place. THAT'S FAIR.

But any events that take place from next week, the corresponding event from last year, the points come off, it's how it should be, that's what I think.

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
They are still considering what to do with points from early 2020. They are aware of the problem.
[QUOTE="tony p, post: 82226853, member: 344213]
Kenin will lose her 2020 Aust Open points next year, but all players will be able to keep their best points result from either the 2019 or 2020 French Open & U.S. Open for 2019 or 2020, which will help them in 2021.

.[/QUOTE]

Read the post above @tony p ;

·
Registered
52,438 Posts
how about time to get back to "average points by tournaments played" just for one year or something like that ?

or drop 50% of points earned in 2019 if those are bets of 2019/2020 when 2021 starts ?
I'mnot sure there's a "fair for everyone " way anyway ..

·
Registered
31,385 Posts
Will we have new rankings on Monday?

I think we will have the "best result of either 2019 or 2020" rankings for a while. It doesn't make sense for the early 2020 points to drop before the 2019 Wimbledon points.

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
Will we have new rankings on Monday?

I think we will have the "best result of either 2019 or 2020" rankings for a while. [b{It doesn't make sense for the early 2020 points to drop before the[/b] 2019 Wimbledon points.
Look at post 199...

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
The way I understand it:- Best of 16 since March 2020 to end 2020. If you lost R1 in 2019 in Palermo, but got to QF in 2020, they take the 2020 points. Best of the tournament for 2019/20.

Ferro - F 45 - W - 43
Giorgi - 71
I can not figure it out :eek: What no. will Giorgi be tomorrow Monday? and Ferro if she beats Anett?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I guess all the live rankings are useless until the rankings go back to normal or has one of them gone to the effort of implementing this clusterfuck?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
They should implement an algorythm that protects pre march ´20 points for the players that for whatever reasons don´t play in tournaments until there´s a full schedule but adjust the points for the ones who do play in the tournaments available, dropping and adding points depending on results. Of course there´s the challenge of how many points for all when the tour condition is totally normalized but protected points/ranking should be a good basis

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Personally, I think if any event takes place in 2020, ranking points should drop off from 2019, so if both the U.S. Open &
the French Open takes place, the points from last year go, even if the event is held at a different time of the year.
It's like if you were injured or just didn't play, the event goes on, your points drop off.( Now if neither Tournament doesn't take place, that's a different story.)

I fully understand that some players don't want to play and it's their choice, but once an event is played, that's that.

The W.T.A. have made their decision, but i don't agree with it totally.

I have no issues with Wimbledon, all the grass court events, and all other events including the Chinese swing which are cancelled, you don't lose your points from those 2019 Tournaments, because you can't get any this year if they don't take place. THAT'S FAIR.

But any events that take place from next week, the corresponding event from last year, the points come off, it's how it should be, that's what I think.
No, you don't fully understand because you can't POSSIBLY compare missing because of an injury or simply not planning to skipping during a pandemic.....like you seriously can't. They could take all the precautions in the world but getting on a plane, staying at a hotel, passing groups- so many ways for a mistake to happen and we have no idea of some of the private and personal issues that players/their families have. That's not to mention some countries invoking mandatory quarantine's if returning from certain countries.....then there are possible borders closing and bans.

So no, this is NOT like they were injured or simply not playing.

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
I'm not sure I like the 'keep the best result' rule either. If you choose not to play (like Barty, Svitolina, and potentially Andreesu & Halep) then fine, keep the points. It's understandable that not everyone wants to travel and they shouldn't be punished for that given the circumstances. Same goes for the cancelled tournaments (Riske's grass court points should still count, and Sabalenka's Wuhan win).

But say for example Pliskova plays Rome this year and loses in the R4. Why should she get to keep her better result (winning the title) from the previous year? She played the year after, tried to defend her points, and failed to do so. They should be adjusted accordingly, like they always are. I don't see why she should get to keep the stronger result over the more recent one if she actually does have a crack and play the event a year later. What's the point in playing them at all for those like Andreescu (USO) or Keys (Cincy) knowing that they can't possibly get any more points? Nor lose them?

·
Registered
37,356 Posts
The idea that Kenin will lose her AO points before Vondrousova/Konta/Anisimova lose their RG points IF it goes ahead is completely absurd. If these events are going to have points, they need to replace the points from the previous event else it just gets a bit ridiculous.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm not sure I like the 'keep the best result' rule either. If you choose not to play (like Barty, Svitolina, and potentially Andreesu & Halep) then fine, keep the points. It's understandable that not everyone wants to travel and they shouldn't be punished for that given the circumstances. Same goes for the cancelled tournaments (Riske's grass court points should still count, and Sabalenka's Wuhan win).

But say for example Pliskova plays Rome this year and loses in the R4. Why should she get to keep her better result (winning the title) from the previous year? She played the year after, tried to defend her points, and failed to do so. They should be adjusted accordingly, like they always are. I don't see why she should get to keep the stronger result over the more recent one if she actually does have a crack and play the event a year later. What's the point in playing them at all for those like Andreescu (USO) or Keys (Cincy) knowing that they can't possibly get any more points? Nor lose them?
The idea is to encourage players to play, if they are doubting due to the pandemic, without any risk of losing points. Given that points do not exist in a vacuum (it is the relative difference that matters), it has to be as fair as possible to all players. If there was no chance of improving your ranking at all vis a vis those opting out, why play at all (assuming you care only about points)? Using your example, if points are taken off / awarded during Rome 2020, then those who opted out will lose relatively. But that system has its drawbacks for those who won (or at least those who think thay cannot improve their result this year) like Pliskova in Rome 2019; they have no incentive (apart from the glory, money, title, etc). But you can't have it both ways. There is no perfect system here; you have to encourage those who didn't do so well before to play (to try to win more points without any risk) and hope that those who won or did well will try again for title, glory, money, love of the sport, etc.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The idea that Kenin will lose her AO points before Vondrousova/Konta/Anisimova lose their RG points IF it goes ahead is completely absurd. If these events are going to have points, they need to replace the points from the previous event else it just gets a bit ridiculous.
There is indeed an argument to be made that the "best of" rule for 2019/20 should apply until the last tournament to be played before Indian Wells 2021.

201 - 220 of 225 Posts