Tennis Forum banner

How Should The Rankings Be Calculated Once Pro Tennis Resumes ???

• Total voters
181 - 200 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
what the hell are you talking about? Nobody wants to diminish the value of current results... what you're proposing is to INFLATE the value of current results at the expense of the pre-COVID results, which are no less valid.

Your comparison to injury ranking is 100% irrelevant, i have no idea where that came from. You want to give the whole tour an injury ranking?
Was not talking about any hell so maybe you can calm down, pretty sure my opinion is as good as yours. Was not proposing to inflate more recent points. The pre-covid and post-covid points would be equally valuable and equally loved, until replaced. The comparison is relevant although I do agree with you that it would need to be tweaked if/when applied to the entire tour.

The “best of” system might be a good compromise here. Whatever the decision is, keeping points from one year (either "replaced if played" or "best of") is more sensible system than adding points from both years.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Ideal scenario for the likes of Barty and Andreescu. Barty doesn't need to put a foot on a tennis court and she can still keep the #1 ranking easily for the rest of the year. Andreescu keeps all her points from 2019, and can add a lot more on clay.

·
Registered
15,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
Official from WTA website: WTA announces revised WTA ranking system

At least they are not following ATP with that whacked race system. WTA is only counting 2020 results for the Porsche Race (but best 16 rather than making some mandatories).

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
Ideal scenario for the likes of Barty and Andreescu. Barty doesn't need to put a foot on a tennis court and she can still keep the #1 ranking easily for the rest of the year. Andreescu keeps all her points from 2019, and can add a lot more on clay.
Yes, it is the best option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
363 Posts
This poll was made months ago and we were not expecting the tour to be on hiatus for so long due to poor handling of the pandemic.

--

Anyway if WTA wants to make more sense than ATP they would want to do the following:

1. Rankings to stay valid for 24 months and will start dropping when the first cancelled event is played (2021 Indian Wells week).
2. All tour events played from when the tour re-starts will be counted only as best of either (2019/2020 or 2020/2021).
3. All challengers and future events played from when the tour re-starts till the first cancelled week will be counted only as best of (mid Indian Wells), meaning the event will only count if it's one of the best 16 events (or 11 in doubles) since challengers and futures have no set calendar spots. It will not replace the same event played in 2019 unless that event goes out of the best 16 (or 11 in doubles) or out of the 24 months window.
4. 2020 Porsche Race will only count events played in 2020. Guangzhou on the tentative calendar will not be counted as it's played after the YEC and it will be counted for 2021.
5. Year End #1 will be awarded based on events played in 2020. Year End #1-10 will not receive a (or receive a reduced) bonus incentive in 2021 due to shortened tour season.
6. Rankings will resume when the tour returns from hiatus. Missing weeks between Indian Wells till when the tour re-starts will not count for weeks of in ranking positions. Weeks in #1 will count when the tour re-starts (even during off season).
7. Rankings will return to 12 months as they drop next year. If Roland Garros is to be played this October and next May, the best result will stick until it's no longer valid.
- meaning if you have 2019 RG QF, 2020 RG R16, 2021 RG R64 as the results on your breakdown, in 2020 November your 2019 RG QF will count as the result for RG, in 2021 June your 2020 RG R16 will count as the result for RG, in 2021 November your 2021 RG R64 result will count as the result for RG.
8. Entry list will continue to be based on the rankings published each week, but the deadline may be adjusted according to COVID-19 situations and where needed (2, 3 or 4 weeks).
9. If the tour does not re-start as scheduled or goes into hiatus after re-started, this system may be adjusted accordingly.
Sounds very decent, it fixes many issues that the ATP have.
I would add that a player cannot include in the rankings 2 tournaments that are on the same week in 2020. So for example a player that has a SF in Wuhan 2019, won't be able to include both Wuhan 2019 and Nanchang 2020 (to prevent players that succeeded in 2019 to just switch a tournament for 2020). .

·
Registered
176 Posts
Not specified in the release, but I guess 2019 WTA finals don't count for this "best of 2019 and 2020" thing.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Um...Kenin won the Australian Open. I think, even as a patriotic Aucklander, that the tournament in Melbourne is slightly more important.
I think the joke went over your head.

·
Premium Member
27,187 Posts
Cancel the rest of the year this is just going to be a mess as the world seems to be going backwards. just start fresh next year with 2019/20 points combo using up to IW 2020 then use 2019 points. This is just too messy and the world is still too damaged.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I wonder if WTA will finally release a detailed explanation on how the ranking should go now, just like ATP did, and there is a lot to clarify.

For example they state that until the end of this year the best points from March 2019 will not expire, but what happens the 1st January 2021? All points from 2019 disappear in a moment, or there will be some different treatment between point from tournaments not played in 2020 cause pandemic, tournaments not played for other reasons (not confirmed in 2020), tournaments with changed date?

Another point: they always talk about "Tour level points": what about points gained from ITF events?

I hope that WTA will publish a detailed document to define how to handle all these situations, not relying just on a supposed but not stated conformity with ATP.

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
I wonder if WTA will finally release a detailed explanation on how the ranking should go now, just like ATP did, and there is a lot to clarify.

For example they state that until the end of this year the best points from March 2019 will not expire, but what happens the 1st January 2021? All points from 2019 disappear in a moment, or there will be some different treatment between point from tournaments not played in 2020 cause pandemic, tournaments not played for other reasons (not confirmed in 2020), tournaments with changed date?

Another point: they always talk about "Tour level points": what about points gained from ITF events?

I hope that WTA will publish a detailed document to define how to handle all these situations, not relying just on a supposed but not stated conformity with ATP.
2019 and 2020 points are being treated the same.
“Tour-level points added in 2020 will drop after the event is scheduled to be played again in 2021 or after 52 weeks, whichever is earlier.”

So e.g RG 2019/RG 2020 will both be removed in May 2021

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
2019 and 2020 points are being treated the same.
“Tour-level points added in 2020 will drop after the event is scheduled to be played again in 2021 or after 52 weeks, whichever is earlier.”

So e.g RG 2019/RG 2020 will both be removed in May 2021

It seems hard to consider points from RG 2019 as "added" in 2020.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I read somewhere that players who played WTA Finals in 2019 but dont qualify this year will keep those points for another year.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also think more detailed explanation is needed. Take the example of Kenin and Andresscu.

Andresscu earns 2000 points for winning the US Open in September 2019.
Kenin earns 2000 points for winning the Aus Open in January 2020.

So based on the WTA statement of "Best of 2019/2020" and "Tour-level points added in 2020 will drop after the event is scheduled to be played again in 2021 or after 52 weeks, whichever is earlier.", Kenin's points will drop off in January 2021 and Andresscu's points not til September 2021?

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
I also think more detailed explanation is needed. Take the example of Kenin and Andresscu.

Andresscu earns 2000 points for winning the US Open in September 2019.
Kenin earns 2000 points for winning the Aus Open in January 2020.

So based on the WTA statement of "Best of 2019/2020" and "Tour-level points added in 2020 will drop after the event is scheduled to be played again in 2021 or after 52 weeks, whichever is earlier.", Kenin's points will drop off in January 2021 and Andresscu's points not til September 2021?
Yes, they will

181 - 200 of 225 Posts