Tennis Forum banner

How Should The Rankings Be Calculated Once Pro Tennis Resumes ???

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
15,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think someone discussed about this but it was merged so let's try this again.

We are speaking of many high point events coming up or already cancelled (IW/Miami/Madrid/Roma). There are many aspects of this.

1. Does ranking from this week count?

Other than Indian Wells being cancelled, some players were unable to travel or had to withdraw midway in certain ATP/ITF events this week due to quarantine or no entry restrictions. In these cases, there are some players who are unable to play while others are able to, which makes unfair cases for some.

2. Does the ranking points drop off or stay?

This issue becomes complicated. If the ranking points stay, how many weeks does it stay (or does it stay till the event is played next time)? How do you deduct the points in the future (as it will be different events coming up than the ones canceled, both in terms of points and location)?

If the rankings drop off, do the players just get lost (and may not be able to recover in time)? If it goes off, do players get protect rankings for however number of weeks/events missed? Let's say there will be 8 to 10 weeks worth of events cancelled. Do players get to use their current ranking to enter 8 to 10 future events as PR?

3. As for Tokyo Olympics, does the race end after Acapulco/Lyon if all events till Roland Garros are not held? What about players' missing Fed Cup participation? Would it be waived for all players (if Tokyo Olympics still goes)?

·
Administrator
39,982 Posts
I would say take a snapshot of the rankings as of the last week where all tournaments scheduled were held and that's what you'd use for entry lists until the first full week of tournaments (without cancellations) takes place. Once you have a "normal" week worth of points, then you can start adding points and subtracting points but not before.

You can expand draws where possible and establish performance wildcards for any players who outperform their frozen ranking until the system can catch up.

This is hard. I'm not sure there's a good enough solution where folks won't be harmed.

Ideally, whatever they decide does best to protect the lower ranked players whose ability to keep playing and competing hangs in the balance. As opposed to coddling the superstars.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I'd say just reuse the pts for the last event that was played and officially put the tour on hiatus indefinitely. If IW wants to play, let it be done as an exhibition w/ prize money.

So, assuming IW and Miami were canceled, at the US Open you'd have (pardon my butchered recollection of the calendar)

2020 AO
-- Virus Begins / Tour Suspended--
2019 Indian Wells
2019 Miami
2019 Rome/Madrid
2019 French Open
-- VIrus Over / Tour Resumes--
2020 Birmingham
2020 Wimbledon
2020 Olympics
2020 Charleston
etc.

If the virus makes a complete year of it then snapshot the rankings until the tour can be resumed.

I would still end the race after Acapulco and Fed Cup Reqs would, of course, have to be waived.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
34,538 Posts
There's no perfect way to do this as whatever approach is taken will favour some players over others. However the WTA choose to tackle the ranking system in the next few months there are going to be players who feel hard done by and others who will keep quiet knowing they got a little bit of a break. I wouldn't want to be the person handling the rankings that is for sure.

Okay now, having said that, if I was, I think perhaps the fairest solution is to just take points off when they pass the 12 month mark as normal. Before long with ranking points falling off but not coming on, players would all have lower rankings. But this way it would still be an effective reflection of how many points each player had gained over the previous 12 months, which is basically what the rankings are there for. So that's what I would do. Of course it would inevitably piss several players off, but I think whatever solution is found is going to piss off a substantial amount of players.

·
34,538 Posts
I'd say just reuse the pts for the last event that was played and officially put the tour on hiatus indefinitely. If IW wants to play, let it be done as an exhibition w/ prize money.

So, assuming IW and Miami were canceled, at the US Open you'd have (pardon my butchered recollection of the calendar)

2020 AO
-- Virus Begins / Tour Suspended--
2019 Indian Wells
2019 Miami
2019 Rome/Madrid
2019 French Open
-- VIrus Over / Tour Resumes--
2020 Birmingham
2020 Wimbledon
2020 Olympics
2020 Charleston
etc.

If the virus makes a complete year of it then snapshot the rankings until the tour can be resumed.

I would still end the race after Acapulco and Fed Cup Reqs would, of course, have to be waived.
I really, really, really hope this period without tennis due to Covid-19 does not last that long. But it has to be said, if the pause in tennis action did turn out to be exactly one year, it would make it a lot easier to sort out in terms of rankings, that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
No solution is 100% fair in this case, but the points have to fall off 12 months after the event. I see no other option.

·
34,538 Posts
No solution is 100% fair in this case, but the points have to fall off 12 months after the event. I see no other option.
Pretty much agree. Although it could get complicated if this virus extends this period with no tennis into the autumn and possibly beyond. Were we to have no tennis for a year then we really would have to revert to the current rankings even though for all intensive purposes they would hardly be reflective of form.

·
Registered
25,544 Posts
This isn't a normal situation so normal rules don't necessarily have to be followed. I say keep the points on throughout the 2020 season, and then drop them the week before YEC.

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
I really, really, really hope this period without tennis due to Covid-19 does not last that long. But it has to be said, if the pause in tennis action did turn out to be exactly one year, it would make it a lot easier to sort out in terms of rankings, that's for sure.
How will the entry list to tournaments work, and the BYE system if all players start afresh?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
This isn't a normal situation so normal rules don't necessarily have to be followed. I say keep the points on throughout the 2020 season, and then drop them the week before YEC.
That would be crazy because players rankings would literally plummet off a cliff.

·
Registered
8,044 Posts
Sorry, but the easiest thing to do, is just let points drop off the rankings as they happen. The hysteria is out of control. This will go through, some tours will be on hold, but things will start to even out, and then we get back to normal life. If the tour is just shutdown for 6 weeks, all the events that happened in those 6 weeks go off the rankings. This is a unique situation, and some players may drop a little further than expected, but things will even themselves out, once the tour is back in full force. There is no need to try to over complicate things. But trying to hold events on rankings, a year past the event, and letting some things stay, some things fall, it all over complicates everything.

·
Registered
25,544 Posts
That would be crazy because players rankings would literally plummet off a cliff.
Their rankings are going to plummet off a cliff either way since there isn't going to be a clay season this year. We need to just accept the fact that there will not be a clay season. If we keep the 2019 clay results on the rankings, then those players can still have a good ranking in order to get into events for the rest of the year. Then, once we reach the end of the season, drop the 2019 points, and then we will be left with rankings that reflect only the 2020 results.

·
34,538 Posts
How will the entry list to tournaments work, and the BYE system if all players start afresh?
If we lose a whole year of rankings then a suppose the thing to do is used the current rankings this time next year. If we lose 6 months of ranking it more awkward but I can't think of a better solution than just to go with the points earned over the last 12 months, even if the amount of points picked up over those 12 months is greatly reduced. But other people might have another approach. No system is perfect and no system addresses each and every problem.

·
Administrator
39,982 Posts
They could do a multi-year ranking through Dec 31st 2021. You can drop all points older than 365 days once you have a full calendar of consecutive tournaments.

I think Golf's rankings are multi-year. Tennis would hopefully only have to do a two year.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Curious to see how Ash Barty's stay at number one is categorised when there will be a certain amount of weeks of no play, especially if this goes past RG.
She's at 33 weeks right now so has the potential to go past Angie and Amelie without having to compete.

·
Premium Member
14,310 Posts
There's no perfect way to do this as whatever approach is taken will favour some players over others. However the WTA choose to tackle the ranking system in the next few months there are going to be players who feel hard done by and others who will keep quiet knowing they got a little bit of a break. I wouldn't want to be the person handling the rankings that is for sure.

Okay now, having said that, if I was, I think perhaps the fairest solution is to just take points off when they pass the 12 month mark as normal. Before long with ranking points falling off but not coming on, players would all have lower rankings. But this way it would still be an effective reflection of how many points each player had gained over the previous 12 months, which is basically what the rankings are there for. So that's what I would do. Of course it would inevitably piss several players off, but I think whatever solution is found is going to piss off a substantial amount of players.
I get the point that operating the normal 12 month ranking system would have the benefit of simplicity. However, there's a strong possibility that we're looking at the entire clay court season being wiped out here. Come this time next year the tour would be entering a clay court season with no clay court results reflected in the rankings.

For that reason, I favour including the previous year's results for those tournaments that the tour was suspended until those tournaments are played again.

·
34,538 Posts
I get the point that operating the normal 12 month ranking system would have the benefit of simplicity. However, there's a strong possibility that we're looking at the entire clay court season being wiped out here. Come this time next year the tour would be entering a clay court season with no clay court results reflected in the rankings.

For that reason, I favour including the previous year's results for those tournaments that the tour was suspended until those tournaments are played again.
That is certainly another option. When an entire surfaces results are virtually wiped out of the rankings that is going to leave the ranking off kilter in a way that would make the ranking very non-reflective when the tour came back to playing on that surface again, it's true.

·
Registered
44,027 Posts
Depending on how long the break lasts I would keep all the points from the 2019 season and drop them in the respective weeks of 2021 tbh. I mean it is still weird if the Melbourne points of 2020 come off before the IW points of 2019, but just dropping them without the opportunity to defend them appears strange to me as well.

1 - 20 of 225 Posts