Tennis Forum banner

How Popular would like tennis to become in your Country?

• I would like to see Pro Tennis expand as much as possible. The more the Merrier.

Votes: 20 60.6%
  • I would like Pro Tennis to stay as is. I dont want to stand in line for tickets, and fight through

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • I would like to see more Tennis exhibitions... this would help avoid crowds at tournies, and everybo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would like to see more people play tennis, but not an expansion in Professional tennis

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • I would like to see Pro tennis expand, but not if it means less access to tickets and to my faves...

Votes: 10 30.3%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
6,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you want tennis to become the premier sport in your country? How big do you want tennis to become?

·
Banned
75 Posts
Definitely more popular then it is now. But hopefully not as popular as the premier sport cuz then everybody would eager to play day in day out and all the cheap courts would be booked round the clock that would be a night mare.

·
Banned
6,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
exacty, a total nightmare. Also I admit i love seeing tennis players from the sidelines, watchem practice, smile for the photos, kissing babies and all that stuff. i got news for you, if it got really really popular, those daysd be over.

·
Registered
39,486 Posts
It's not popular beacause of them game itself but because of the players, big difference!!!

·
Beware Of The Dog, Bitch.
21,902 Posts
I'd love to see it expand as much as possible, and if it would be that popular, then more courts would be built. :)

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
well in my town it is very popular, I remember last week there was a line to use one of the 6 tennis courts at my high school!

But I would like to see it get even bigger. More tournaments, more tv coverage etc.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Hi Frog...
You're asking a very difficult question here... I would like to see more tennis on TV, but I can't figure out what would it take.

I'm going a little bit off topic, Frogburger, what do you think of FFT's policy for selling RG tickets (priority to licensed players and just a few days left for ordinary people to get a ticket, necessarily bad places) ? Personally, I consider it's stupid and doesn't help making the game popular.

·
Banned
6,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yep, the FFT doesnt give you much notice about the tickets you get. its better than wimbledon it seems where you have to wait in line for hours. i dont have an answer for you. Ask someone who knows tennis better..

·
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
20,453 Posts
ME WANT TENNIS ON TV ALWAYS!!! :retard: :bounce: :worship:

·
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
20,453 Posts
oh damnit! i jus read all the choices on the poll now... :rolleyes: :eek: :retard:
erm.. can i change my choice? i wanna pick the second one..:p but though i like things to stay as it is.... because meeting and seeing the players are easy right now (as FrogBurger said :)) i jus want the tourney coverage to be better. thats all i want. better tv coverage! :mad:

·
Banned
6,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is exactly what i want, more tv, maybe some more fans, but still the oppty to have some type of contact with the players. thats what makes tennis kinda special.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
I would like to see it get as popualr as possible. Then there would be more tournaments, more courts, more facilities, more tv coverage and more players wanting to play, which in turn means better competition.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
FrogBurger said:
That is exactly what i want, more tv, maybe some more fans, but still the oppty to have some type of contact with the players. thats what makes tennis kinda special.

yeah im with you here :) i wouldnt like tennis to be like football in the UK theres just no intamacy

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
I would like it to be more popular. Some of the tournaments are poorly attended ATM. I would particularly like an indoor tournament in the UK

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
FrogBurger said:
Me too beauty, but imagine going to a grand slam and having to see your faves practice using binoculars.
Ah, I see you've been to Arthur Ashe Stadium then?:lol: Seriously, I'm not sure how to answer your poll, as several of the choices contained portions of things I'd like to see. First and foremost, I'd like to see the game progress to a more fan-friendly atmosphere. In another thread last Fall, I actually suggested they move the U.S. Open to Indian Wells, as the Tennis Garden at Indian Wells is far and away more fan-friendly and while it's a huge stadium, there's really not a bad seat in the house, and they got pretty much everything right- from the concession tents to the outside courts to the practice courts (I watched Martina Hings practice there a few years ago before she lost to Hantuchova, and it was an amazing experience).

The problem seems to be the widening gap between professional tennis and the tennis fan. I'm old enough to remember the tennis boom here in America back in the mid-70s, and remember our local indoor club where I first took tennis lessons being crammed with kids all wanting to be either Jimmy Connors, Billie Jean King, Bjorn Borg, or Chris Evert. The role models seemed like they were more clearly defined, and less self-aggrandizing back them (okay, maybe I'm waxing a little here), and there WERE more public courts to play on. I don't think that generation had any clue that when the transition was made from private clubs to open tennis, somewhere along the line an organized effort would have to be made to apply the brakes and keep the game appealing and accessible to the tennis fan (hence the USO concrete monstrosity mall that is Flushing Meadows). I'd love to see tennis return to the days when crowds of people used to lay on their stomachs at Forest Hills, just to be able to peek under the fences to watch their favorites play. At the U.S. Open, the players are so remote from the average tennis fan that you may as well be looking at a magazine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts