Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard reporters speak of how popular Momo is in France, but have heard mixed things about Mary. Just thought about it today after Mary's heroic win which would've been a lot bigger deal here in the U.S if she played for the U.S.

Also because Mary is the best tennis player France has produced since the '20's (if you are basing it on GS titles that is).

Just wondered if the French appreciated Mary. She's such a great player and seemingly nice girl, I hope that the French realize how lucky they are to have her!

Salut Mary!!!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Well, there has always been some kind of love-hate relationship between Mary and French tennis crowds...

·
Registered
802 Posts
When she wins she is very French and very popular :rolleyes:
It is sad how Mary doesn't attract the same sympathy from the French public as Amelie, who is yet to win a slam. But then Amelie was not born in Montreal, didn't grow up in the US, and doesn't speak French with a strong American accent :tape:

As for me, I prefer Amelie's game, but I very much like Mary's personality (and not just because she has only good things to say about Justine) ;) I am happy to see her competitive again, and I hope this is a new beginning for her.

·
Registered
13,089 Posts
When she wins it's "our Marie" and when she loses it's "that Mary american thing?"

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Why can't the canadians hold onto their players? They would have had a grandslam winner in mary pierce.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
I think mary p only was born there because her dad was flying for the police :eek:

·
Registered
34,218 Posts
First, Marie isn't from Canada, she's from Quebec Libre! :mad: :p Second, WTF kind of French OR Quebecois name is Mary Pierce anyway? :confused: Third, re. Greg, word is Canada actually paid the Brits to take him! :lol:

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mary is actually quite a bit more French than Rusedksi is British. Her mother is a French National and she's been playing for France over half her life. Mary didn't have to do any back door shuffling to become a citizen, by being the child of a citizen she was a citizen. I believe that her mother's family lives there. Mary is as much French as she is American, Canadian would be the only dicey one as she was born there, but her father was American and her mother French.

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
Monica Seles spent half of her life in Yugoslavia, another half in USA, and yet she is considered as American as it gets, why Mary can't be considered French then?

·
Registered
34,218 Posts
Joana said:
Monica Seles spent half of her life in Yugoslavia, another half in USA, and yet she is considered as American as it gets, why Mary can't be considered French then?
Actually Ms. Seles DID "Americanize" her first name from Monika (though Canadian junior Dancevic, Frank's sister, didn't). I still think Marie would "work better", though she lives in Sarasota NEway.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
but wasn't rusedski's mother british too?

not that really matters. mary p is french citizen so is french and even when she was not then she still didn't deserve the treatment the french crowd gave her from 95/99 :eek:

·
25,876 Posts
Because Monica actually lives in the US. Mary lives in Florida if I'm not mistaken. Does Mary own property in France?

·
Senior Member,
1,825 Posts
irma said:

not that really matters. mary p is french citizen so is french and even when she was not then she still didn't deserve the treatment the french crowd gave her from 95/99 :eek:

There was no 'back door shuffling' for Greg Rusedski to represent Britain and nor is he British just by marriage; as Irma states, his Mother was born in Britain so Greg was able to 'choose' his nationality from his Mother's line. I think he actually IS as British as Mary is French!

·
45,913 Posts
Oh please, it's quite obvious that players play for whatever country they want.

Just look at the hundreds of tennis players that live in the US but play for other countries... using where people live as an example doesn't hold much water, unless most of the tour is going to play for the United States.

·
Registered
6,942 Posts
irma said:

As far as I know Greg's parents still live in Canada. He was born and raised in Canada..he just chose to leave..he's not British.

And thanks to him Tennis Canada changed the way they distribute their money..I don't think they want to get burned again.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Well, the french use to boo her a lot when she would show up and lose early. But then after she won the 200 french open, she was their hero. Then she got injured and now when she returns she evokes a sort of sentimental favorite kind of feeling. So, Mary is popular in France now, but she used to be almost hated by them back in her early days. I actually think that she is quite loved by Americans here. Did anyone else see how the entire crowd yesterday was cheering for her? I rarely heard a single cheer for Dokic.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
franny said:
I actually think that she is quite loved by Americans here. Did anyone else see how the entire crowd yesterday was cheering for her? I rarely heard a single cheer for Dokic.
I cheered for Dokic but nobody heard me. Everyone else in my quarter cheered for Pierce.

I think Pierce won by sheer luck. The match was very close, could have gone either way.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts