Tennis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I play at a couple clubs here on St. Croix....and although the tennis is very competitive...everyone is soooo polite. I really like it. If we play mixed doubles, we always end with a handshake and a kiss to the women. We give sportsmanlike service lets....everyone compliments others on good shots (although underneath we are pissed! lol)....

Is it like that way at your clubs or is it just here. This is a small island so our "tennis community" is large but kinda tight knit.....its cool.

Know tournament play....well...that can be another story...see other post!

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
In my club everyone is polite too.

Some people give compliments to others when they hit a good shot. I don't mind it when people compliment me, but I never do it. I find it strange, because maybe they could see it as 'Did you think I couldn't hit that shot?'

I can imagine that some people don't like it, so therefor I don't do it.

·
Registered
462 Posts
In a "friendly" match, I don't like to chat on changeovers and rarely say "nice shot" (Although I do sometimes say "yeah" or something like that in a soft voice when an opponent hits a cold winner). Sometimes my opponent will compliment me and wonder why I don't reciprocate. (I am more than happy to after the match ends, though)

I don't think that that is being impolite but some people disagree with me.

What I think is impolite is to scream "yes" and "c'mon" after every damn point you win. That's irritating. I can see getting pumped up and emoting on crucial points or a tie-break but, damn....

·
Registered
13,089 Posts
bcoene said:
In my club everyone is polite too.

Some people give compliments to others when they hit a good shot. I don't mind it when people compliment me, but I never do it. I find it strange, because maybe they could see it as 'Did you think I couldn't hit that shot?'

I can imagine that some people don't like it, so therefor I don't do it.
yeah exactly the same here! and I hate when someone tell me "Great shot! Congrats" because, after once i reply thanks, after twice, it begins to make me :mad: and after then, i just stare at him waiting to serve or i just don't look at him putting my strings correctly!

but in doubles, it's so WONDERFUL, I love it!!

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
5,857 Posts
KindaNice said:
We give sportsmanlike service lets...
Giving "sportsmanlike" calls is something that never fails to piss me off. If a ball is good, it's good; if it's out, it's out, and if it's a let, it's a let. Sometimes there is doubt but there are rules to cater for that situation.

I have played with people who give all my shots a certain "margin of error" to keep rallies going and make the game more fun - yeah, the serve was long, but I'll let you have it anyway so we can play the point. These people are the worst - especially when you have one of them as your doubles partner!

·
Registered
35,860 Posts
I'm a little like Seles where I usually don't say anything, but if somebody hits a really good winner, I'll just say "Yep, too good." If a ball is out though, it's out.

As far as mixed doubles go, there's usually a hug for the girls during the handshake. I don't usually aim my smashes on the side the girl is playing on, but if we're losing or it's 4-4 30-30 in the third set, well, shit happens ;)

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'm the type that screams "allez" after a nice shot (not a winner, but a really smashing one) Then I look in the opponents face, show the fist and smile, sometimes accompanied with a com'on.
It drives them nuts. :d

·
Premium Member
11,130 Posts
i once filled in for a mixed team and their lack of intensity really drove me insane. every shot they missed was followed by a giggle or an 'oops' or a 'oh well'. Its annoying when you set up game points for them repeatedly and you get an 'oopsy'. :retard:

i like the more relaxed atmosphere in doubles which is why im playing a doubles comp, but we selectively made our team so that we actually have people who put some effort in to it....some of the girls in mixed comp = :retard:!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL at Bradshaw....funny, but the women I play with in mixed are STRONG and I have NO qualms about hitting a smash towards them. I don't always go for the women, its just whoever is out of position more.

I do have a habit of saying "YES!" when I hit an all out winner...it just happens. I don't mean to be obnoxious or anything by it....

And I agree with SM, I don't like "friendly, giggly" mixed doubles.....it is always very competitive and I like it that way. I played a match not long ago which was mixed with another strong team...we split sets each team winning on a tiebrake...we said, "Okay...time for a third". The other woman said, "Oh...if we stop now, each team has one a set and we're even!"....I looked at her like she was from another planet and said...."WHAT?!...we're here to play tennis....THERE HAS TO BE A LOSER!!!"

·
63,619 Posts
I love doubles so much ;) I usually high five with my partner and discuss our tactics.

I find it annoying sometimes when an opponent laughed at missed easy shot :rolleyes: and they won a point by winner while they smiled at me :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I enjoy playing doubles. Everyone is usually cordial. People sometimes acknowledge a nice shot. I usually get stuck playing with people that don't really belong on the court with me, so I try to give people encouragement during the set.

I used to get irritated with people that talk to me during changeovers, but recently that has changed. I asked this guy I was playing a few things, nothing big, but he was such an ass. He was obviously pissed that I talked to him. I told myself that I never want to come off that way towards my opponent. Now, I sometimes make some small talk, but not all the time. I am always more impressed after a match when I say, "wow that person was nice". If someone wants to talk to me, I have no problem. Of course, I do appreciate the talking reamains at an acceptable level.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I'm usually crap at doubles and don't like playing it, but it's a requirement to be able to play doubles at our club so I grin and bear it, and try to learn everything I can about the discipline. Personally, I'm always nice to my partners and my opponents. I'll usually say "too good" when it's a good shot or "unlucky" when it's out. To me, saying "unlucky" is a lot better than "bad luck" because the latter sounds (to me) like you're wishing it upon someone and I don't want to tempt fate or karmic backlash. So yeah, I'm thinking of myself there. :rolleyes: ;) Hehe. One thing I always tell me partners is to never apologize for making an error because in doubles, I believe that it's a team effort and that every shot played is played as a team no matter who hits the ball.

When I watch the juniors play doubles, they'll swear and whine at each other and call each other names whenever one of them stuffs up a shot. They'll also curse their opponents whenever they hit winners past them. It's so funny to watch and be a part of. All of them are better singles players, because they're trained as such, but put them on a doubles court and they're frustrated and absolutely clueless. No co-operation or communication. I'm only a few years older than them, but it's so cool to be able to make them "respect my authoritar!" in doubles after they've managed to humble me in singles. I laugh in the face of their arrogance!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts